Thread: The Trick is to find something Great But not too Great.

The Trick is to find something Great But not too Great.

I was informed this week that my Gold Posey ring find from last September in Colchester has been declared Treasure Trove and I won't be getting it back. Two museums are going to bid on it. The land owner gets half the money and I get the other half. Damn it. I wanted to give that ring to my daughter. Its just how it goes and the Colchester group plays by the rules. I did get my 1672 gold coin back and just had to pay the land owner his half of the bullion weight $145 US dollars.Damn it.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Dig Colonial or Go Home

Personal Website www.cttodd.com

I hope you get good money out of it.
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel!

I’m glad you still found it even though you can’t keep it.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    104pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

I remember seeing your ring when it was first posted by Chris on his forum. What a beauty, and way nicer than other examples currently known. The sucky thing is the museum low balls the value, buys it, and then turns around and sells it to another museum for a higher price. The finder does not get to share in that at all. I've read several horror stories about that. Ask Tim "Illdigger" about his gold egg. The value kept changing significantly depending on whether or not the museum wanted to buy it!
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe) ☺Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria ☺Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent ☺Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France, 1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria ☺Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6) ☺YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger ☺Instagram: Full_Metal_Digger ☺