PDA

View Full Version : detecting with the tdi

del
05-19-2012, 09:43 PM
well i've been pretty busy this year so i haven't been out a lot but i just gotten myself a new coil (a razor back 8.5 x 11) for my TDI SL earlier this week and was dying to get out and use it . i researched a few new sites and decided to do some scouting and maybe hit one if i had time . well the first one was a large center chimney colonial and i focused my limited time there , the tdi is so different being a pulse induction detector and i had to force myself to use when i first got it . thank God for my volunteer work for the Pequot Indian Museum (which is a perfect environment for using this machine) because i probably wouldn't have stuck with it . the all metal sounds are very challenging to get use to , they are very subtle in determining what you've passed over , unlike the VLF machines and their many tone id sounds . this first site was hit before as most targets were deep ones , only when i ventured out into some of the far fields did i recover some shallow ones . most of the items recovered around the cellar hole were 6 to 10 inches and one of the coppers was almost 15 inches down :shocked03: a personal new record for the deepest copper i've recovered :happydance01:. found lots of buttons and small low conductor targets ( this machine hits very hard on them )

my machine's settings were
gain= wide open
GB= between 3 and 4
pulse = was at 10 for the most part
ALL mode

the coin talley was 3 indians (1892 , 1899 ,1902)
2 coppers ( 1817 large cent , 1803 draped bust)
and 1 toasted half cent

thanks for looking

Dan

CTDirtFisher
05-19-2012, 10:16 PM
Dan,

Nice write up in the TDI use... I'm glad to see you got out and what a day :clapping: :cheering:

2 Nice Coppers, 3 Indians, and a Half Cent... I see some nice buckle pieces in there and some buttons...

|:cheering:

Paul

jkress
05-19-2012, 10:25 PM
Awesome pouch of keepers Dan. :peace: The age of the coppers, silvers and relics you find are what
dreams are made of here in the Midwest. :yes:

I really don't know much about pulse induction machines. :confused: But hitting a 15 inch target is truly amazing. |:confused:)

Congrats on the new site. Looks like you are going to get everything that is reachable. :yes:

p.s. I see a specifically designed piece of wood for holding LC's. lol

del
05-19-2012, 11:14 PM
Dan,

Nice write up in the TDI use... I'm glad to see you got out and what a day :clapping: :cheering:

2 Nice Coppers, 3 Indians, and a Half Cent... I see some nice buckle pieces in there and some buttons...

|:cheering:

Paul

thanks Paul , theres still tons to learn on this machine . small deep iron is still a challenge as it sounds so similar to a good low conductor .

Awesome pouch of keepers Dan. :peace: The age of the coppers, silvers and relics you find are what
dreams are made of here in the Midwest. :yes:

I really don't know much about pulse induction machines. :confused: But hitting a 15 inch target is truly amazing. |:confused:)

Congrats on the new site. Looks like you are going to get everything that is reachable. :yes:

p.s. I see a specifically designed piece of wood for holding LC's. lol

thanks Joe , this machine is like running your machine in full all metal mode . so you hear every tiny piece of metal ( ferrous and non-ferrous ) , theres no depth meter or vdi screen to look at and no pinpoint trigger/button . the very limited discrimination is low tone for iron and high value targets ( silver , copper) and high tone for low conductive targets , you do hear these tones with either a wooo or a whaaa sound .

this machine is definately going back to some of the sites where my deep targets with the VLF detector have been found.

Dan

pulltabsteve
05-20-2012, 04:46 AM
Dan, you need to make a new stick to hold the half cents... :poke: Great TDI hunt! When I had mine I had to force myself to use it. It did drive me a little crazy at first. It would be a good machine to use on the farm fields. Keep on finding those deep ones! |:cheering:

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-20-2012, 06:03 AM
well it's about time ya got a few nice coins Dan.that's impressive at that depth but,have you seen the blisstool detectors? i saw one in action at Ct Todds group hunt.guy dug a hole 2 feet deep.no lie.dropped a large copper in the hole covered it up,stomped it down and ran coil over it :omg: freakin crazy i tell ya.and that's with no halo effect :wow:

OxShoeDrew
05-20-2012, 07:20 AM
Dan, when you PMed I had already been sleeping an hour zzzzzzz
I hope to meet up with you next time....oh and sweet finds!

Merc
05-20-2012, 12:05 PM
Fantastic hunt Dan!! Research paid off, new machine set up paid off, and a nice payoff for you seeing that you haven't been out much. :perfect10: Congrats.

skrapman
05-20-2012, 08:07 PM
Hi Dan, some nice finds from a hit site. There is a field or two I would love to use a PI machine. I run my dfx pretty hot but I really
like different tones and vdi numbers. it's good you have patience and some experience. nice hunt. :clapping:

jkress
05-20-2012, 09:02 PM
thanks Joe , this machine is like running your machine in full all metal mode . so you hear every tiny piece of metal ( ferrous and non-ferrous ) , theres no depth meter or vdi screen to look at and no pinpoint trigger/button . the very limited discrimination is low tone for iron and high value targets ( silver , copper) and high tone for low conductive targets , you do hear these tones with either a wooo or a whaaa sound .

Very interesting. Not sure I could get use to hearing every tiny piece of metal. :twirlingeyes: However, no screen to look at would be an easy jump.

I'm guessing I probably hunt 95% on sound alone. More than likely higher since I simply look at the screen just because it is there.
For me, I doubt the information on the screen is giving me any more clues to dig a target than what the sound has already provided me. :dontknow:

I have often thought about covering the screen for a hunt just to see how it goes. Might give that a try soon. :thinkingabout:

Anyway, thanks for the info Dan. Sounds like these machines have incredible depth potential. :shocked04:
I'm looking forward to your summer with it. :->

del
05-21-2012, 02:56 AM
thanks all

Hi Dan, some nice finds from a hit site. There is a field or two I would love to use a PI machine. I run my dfx pretty hot but I really
like different tones and vdi numbers. it's good you have patience and some experience. nice hunt. :clapping:

thanks Skrapman , i usually run my dfx very hot as well and the deepest copper i've hit with it was 11 inches and it sounded nowhere near like a coin at first. i seriously doubt i would of heard this one at all with it .

Fire Fighter 43
05-21-2012, 07:05 PM
Nice hunt and digs, looks like the TDI is working well. |:cheering:

sniffy
05-25-2012, 04:12 AM
dOESN'T it make you wonder what has been left at all the previous sites you've hunted after finding DEEEEEEEEEp coins?

midas
05-25-2012, 07:28 AM
Del, After digging all those deep holes, you must have been in physical therapy for your back and arms a few days. lol
Good thing you can use a regular shovel at those sites. A garden trowel would have been impossible.
The TDI IS a deep seeking machine. The next generation of the pulse will have target ID and depth reading. It's in the works. Not sure of the time frame. Probably a couple years out. As VLF technology will go the way of the 8 track.
Great bunch of finds. Besides the good stuff in the pictures, how much throw away junk did you get? Did you get any ticks on you during your hunt?

del
05-25-2012, 08:56 PM
dOESN'T it make you wonder what has been left at all the previous sites you've hunted after finding DEEEEEEEEEp coins?

yes it does Jess , i'm sure i've missed some

Del, After digging all those deep holes, you must have been in physical therapy for your back and arms a few days. lol
Good thing you can use a regular shovel at those sites. A garden trowel would have been impossible.
The TDI IS a deep seeking machine. The next generation of the pulse will have target ID and depth reading. It's in the works. Not sure of the time frame. Probably a couple years out. As VLF technology will go the way of the 8 track.
Great bunch of finds. Besides the good stuff in the pictures, how much throw away junk did you get? Did you get any ticks on you during your hunt?

the relic shovel i use makes it a pretty easy process , i would definately have sore hands and arms :stretcher: if i was forced to use a hand lesche or trowel . i can't wait until they come out with a fully discriminating tone id pulse induction and yes a pinpointing trigger would make me :smitten: :smitten: . i did dig a lot of iron , the bigger iron i enjoy finding and will purposely dig (utensils , tools gun parts ect.) its the smaller size like full sized cut and hand wrought nails that sound pretty good at some depth. not many ticks at all , i was very surprised .

Dan