PDA

View Full Version : 1st Fugio, 1864 IH, Stuff

OxShoeDrew
04-14-2012, 05:37 PM
I found a colonial road leading into state property about 20 min from my house.
I've been wanting to make my way to this site for a few months. I hiked about 10 min in and saw the hole was on posted property (water co) :no: The other side of the colonial road was state property. So I hit the fields across from the hole and found my first 1787 Fugio. The other items were found after work this week at another location. The button looks to have a picture of a bird where the shank should be :thinkingabout::. The indian is not a pointed and the wheat is 1919...or 1929...39? 49? :grin: who knows.
Thank you, Drew

MassDirtFisher
04-14-2012, 06:06 PM
Congrats on a great piece of history. Nice recovery, Im still waiting for my first, Happy Hunting!

CTDirtFisher
04-14-2012, 06:10 PM
AWESOME !!! :omg: :wow:

Congratulations...

Paul

HEAVYMETALNUT
04-14-2012, 06:41 PM
congrats Drew on your 1st Fugio! wishing you many more to come! they are always fun to dig up!

del
04-14-2012, 08:10 PM
:clapping: :peace: :clapping: :peace: :clapping: :peace: :clapping: :peace: :clapping: :peace: :clapping: :peace: :clapping: :peace: :clapping: :peace: :clapping: :peace: :clapping: :peace: :clapping: :peace: :clapping:

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:[size=36pt]First fugio congrats Drew :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

it looks like it might clean up pretty nice too. good luck and hope you find many more Drew |:cheering: |:cheering:

Rob L
04-14-2012, 08:32 PM
:wow: Congrats on the Fugio. It does look like it may clean up good. You can see the impressions of we are one on the back. Theres a lot of history around that coin.

CODY
04-15-2012, 12:00 AM
Congrats! I am going to have to look a Fugio up. Have never heard of one. Great find!

CODY
04-15-2012, 12:04 AM
OK! Found it, Sweet!

On April 21, 1787, the Continental Congress of the United States authorized a design for an official penny, later referred to as the Fugio cent
[attachimg=1][attachimg=2]

This is soooooo cool! What a piece of history!

Merc
04-15-2012, 12:18 PM
Fantastic find Drew :perfect10: sweet looking coin!!

Toadman
04-15-2012, 12:53 PM
BIG grads !! <: <: <: <: <: <: <: I'd love to find one myself

OxShoeDrew
04-15-2012, 04:16 PM
:clapping: :peace: :clapping: :peace: :clapping: :peace: :clapping: :peace: :clapping: :peace: :clapping: :peace: :clapping: :peace: :clapping: :peace: :clapping: :peace: :clapping: :peace: :clapping: :peace: :clapping:

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:[size=36pt]First fugio congrats Drew :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

it looks like it might clean up pretty nice too. good luck and hope you find many more Drew |:cheering: |:cheering:

This is the best reply I've ever received, thanks Dan
Thanks for the pic Cody,
Thanks for nice thoughts everyone.

del
04-15-2012, 04:26 PM
This is the best reply I've ever received, thanks Dan
Thanks for the pic Cody,
Thanks for nice thoughts everyone.

your welcome Drew , i've been waiting for you or Brandon to get a hold of one . their one of my favorite coins an in my opinion one of the upper tier coppers to find . i'm hoping you can get it cleaned up well enough to i.d. the variety , it would be nice to see another rare one.

Dan

aloldstuff
04-15-2012, 05:14 PM
Congrats on the Fugio, to bad the 64 is a pointed one......nice hunting

OxShoeDrew
04-16-2012, 09:04 AM
Here it is a little cleaner....with water on it. Best I can tell its a Newman 15-H. :thinkingabout:

Cheap Thrills
04-16-2012, 01:35 PM
Congratulations Drew on your incredible find .That is a beauty , it sure held up well . It must be fantastic to make a find like that , I don't think I would be able to put it down or stop looking at it .
Gotta love these T2s . :beerbuddy:

del
04-16-2012, 01:40 PM
the variety Newman-15 obverse is well known for its die crack on the right lower side of the sundial's base out to the edge like this one
http://www.coins.nd.edu/fugio/Newman1-24/fugio.15-H.obv.jpg

i wish i could help you on the i.d. but i just can't see enough detail from the picture , what source did you use to come to that variety??

heres a pretty good link to id-ing fugios Drew.
http://www.coins.nd.edu/fugio/Newman1-24/

Dan

OxShoeDrew
04-16-2012, 03:05 PM
the variety Newman-15 obverse is well known for its die crack on the right lower side of the sundial's base out to the edge like this one
http://www.coins.nd.edu/fugio/Newman1-24/fugio.15-H.obv.jpg

i wish i could help you on the i.d. but i just can't see enough detail from the picture , what source did you use to come to that variety??

heres a pretty good link to id-ing fugios Drew.
http://www.coins.nd.edu/fugio/Newman1-24/

Dan

Thanks for the link Dan, It had more examples than the link I was using. Ok, now I have it narrowed down, (in Get Smart voice) would you believvve.....18-H ex.1 or 18-H ex.2? :grin:
I looked at every we are one on the reverses. Those are the only two that match. They must have set those letters differently for each strike.

del
04-16-2012, 07:10 PM
Drew , its a lot easier to figure out the obverses than the reverses . the key areas to look at on the obverses are the dot that separates mind and Your it sits above the I in Business but will sit closer to one edge than the other . also where the R in Your is in relation to the letters under it and the designed base of the sundial , there are a few more key spots but those can get you a good indicator of what you have for the front . the back in my opinion is a lot more difficult to narrow down as everything is more subtle .

Dan

Fire Fighter 43
04-16-2012, 10:16 PM
WTG |:cheering: A big congrats on a beutiful first.

tanacat
04-18-2012, 08:00 AM
:wow: Congrats on your first Fugio Drew!!! |:cheering: :cheering:

|:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:)

:envious:

laserfeller
04-19-2012, 11:54 AM
My knowledge base has been increased by 1 fugio. I had never heard of a fugio and i am not even sure how to pronounce it. :dontknow:
Congradulations on a fantastic find! |:cheering:

skrapman
04-20-2012, 05:17 AM
way cool coin drew.Ive yet to find one myself.I am most impressed with your decision to avoid the water company property and hit the fields on state land. Kudos to you |:cheering: