PDA

View Full Version : Boy Salesman Liberty Pin

starman2
02-05-2012, 11:33 AM
:peace: Hi All, Just wanted to update. On the Pin I found the other day. Green Duck Co. of Chicago. Open in 1906. They were the producers of alot of novelties such as this. The pin was distributed in the 1920's and 30's, to Boy Scouts around the country that sold Magazines. And other items. There were a couple of different styles that were made. I think this one, would have been an earlier edition. Since it was a little simpler in design. So it was probably out of the twenties. Thanks for looking! :groovy:

Ill Digger
02-05-2012, 11:41 AM
It's a cool find starman2! :yes:
And a nice little piece of Americana and scouting history! :smitten:
Nice detective work too thumbsup01

Fire Fighter 43
02-05-2012, 12:50 PM
Thanks for posting the history of your find. It is one thing I love about this hobby. You learn something new all the time. congrats again on a nice piece of history.

DirtFisher
02-05-2012, 01:19 PM
That's a really cool find. :clapping: We sure do learn a lot about the past with our finds, don't we? |:cheering:

mike l
02-05-2012, 07:23 PM
I love finding stuff like that, I get home and research what it is. Thanks for sharing, awesome find :peace:

CODY
02-05-2012, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the update.

Cheap Thrills
02-05-2012, 10:15 PM
Never saw one of those before , nice find . |:cheering:

JTGOLD
02-05-2012, 10:21 PM
neat find,wtg.

CTDirtFisher
02-06-2012, 08:15 AM
[attach=4][attach=3]Liberty Magazine Boy Salesmen Booklets

There are two pictures showing a view of the covers and a few inside pages of these (3) 1928 - 1929 Liberty Magazine Boy Salesmen Booklets in this lot. These booklets are for boys who were selling and delivering magazines back then.
The left booklet is from July, 1928. It is Vol. IV, No. 7. It has (24) pages filled with sales and other stories. They also promoted competition for sales. There is a story on the movie star cowboy, Buck Jones. There is also a story about model aeroplanes and a picture of the plans of the Charles Lindbergh Spirit Of St. Louis airplane. There are different opportunities to earn prizes by selling magazines.

The right booklet is from January, 1929. It is Vol. V, No. 1. It has (24) pages filled with competition sales information and other stories. There is one story about what you’ll see in New York City. It has a nice full page picture of the Statue of Liberty. There are different opportunities to earn prizes by selling magazines.

The center booklet is Libertys Prize Catalog #1. It has (14) pages filled with many premiums and prizes that could be acquired by selling magazines. A couple pages are pictured. The things you could win or earn include:

Ranger Bicycle, Bicycle Accessories, Baseballs, Baseball Gloves, Baseball Bat, Football Equipment, Football, Helmet, Roller Skates, Ice Skates, Punching Bag, Basketball, Boxing Gloves, Volley Ball, Radio Equipment, Wrist Watch, Pocket Watches, Sports Timers, Flash Light, Pocket Knives, Watch Chain, Fountain Pen, Mechanical Pencil, Musical Instruments, Violin, Banjo, Ukelele, Mandolin, Drum Kit, Saxophone, French Cornet Horn, Rain Coats, Fishing Rods, Reel, & Tackle, Simmons Koaster Wagon, Sled, Cameras, and many Boy Scout Items.

aloldstuff
02-06-2012, 08:34 AM
To me, digging little pieces of history is neat. Glad to see that you were able to recover this little gem. Congrats

starman2
02-06-2012, 06:46 PM
:perfect10: Nice work on the booklets! |:cheering: Thanks for the addition to my little find! Very Interesting :groovy: