PDA

View Full Version : GRAND SLAM!!

Ill Digger
01-31-2012, 11:49 PM
I don't even know where to start. 8/ The last few days Theola and I have been making plans to do a road trip south to find some frost free ground. We had 5 parks picked out in 3 towns. Late last night before leaving I was checking our route and noticed a couple of parks along the way. I figured we could do a drive by on our way through town. After driving by the parks we decided to check them out before driving any farther. Boy am I glad we did! :yes: The third hole at the first park was a 1902 IH! thumbsup01 In the next hour I was only able to coax one lone wheatie from park#1. Ted was only able to find some clad. So we decided to go give park #2 a try . 10 minutes into park #2 I hear Theola from across the park say High O' silver! :poke: He got a really nice 1941 Merc. Soon I found my first silver a 1946 Rosie. Then Ted said &quot:beerbuddy:uff! It was getting warm about this time so I started walking to my truck and as I was crossing the gravel road in the park I got a slight high pitched chirp :huh: After digging the hole in the gravel I see a silver edge sitting on the edge of the hole! :shocked04:stretcher: I could just make out ONE DIME on the back. I said This could be a.... :lipssealed: Wiping off the front revealed my first seated dime of 2012!! <: In January on top of it! lol Later on, right next to a big maple tree, I found my first 2 center!! :happydance01: A 1866!! happydance02 Around the other side of the tree I found silver #3 of the day! Another Rosie, a 1948. About 10 minutes later I found a 1921 Merc! I told Ted I hit the Tri-fecta !! Finally!! This is the first time for me!! :yes: I told Ted Now all I need is a Barber for the Grand Slam. lol yeah right. :rolleyes: A little while later along the sidewalk I started digging a bunch of wheaties from the 20's and late teens in one small are. About 6 or 7 of them lol On the 4th time digging the same area up I see a flash of silver :shocked04: I was completely surprised when I seen ONE DIME on the back! :shocked03: I said NO WAY!! Gently wiping the dirt off the front I seen the face of a beautiful 1914D Barber dime!!! <: :happydance01: Ted!..... I hit the GRAND SLAM !!! :happydance01: happydance02

Here's my very first dime GRAND SLAM!! :cool:
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/IMG_1414.jpg
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/IMG_1415.jpg

All the keepers lined up :cheesysmile: :cheesysmile: :cheesysmile: :cheesysmile: :cheesysmile:
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/IMG_1416.jpg
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/Metal%20Detectin%202012/IMG_1397.jpg
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/IMG_1398.jpg

The 19 wheaties and a 1917 DOG TAX!! I love those dog TAXES! :smitten:
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/IMG_1400.jpg

This has just been crazy! :crazy: I'm just in awe !! 8/ lol
Thanks for lookin' & HH :grin:

Cheap Thrills
02-01-2012, 12:16 AM
If you don't find another thing for the rest of the year you will have done well . Huge congrats !!

jkress
02-01-2012, 12:17 AM
Oh baby! <: <: <:

Fantastic hunt Tim. :peace: What a fun way to spend the last day of January in the midwest. :daydream:

You drove home with an awesome pocketful of keepers. Seated, Mercs, Barbers, Rosies, IH's and a beautiful Two Center. :smitten: Very well worth the effort buddy. I'll bet you scoured the gravel after that Seated popped out. :yes: Find anything else in it?

Congratulations on a great day of hunting. Tell Ted I said the same. thumbsup01

I'm guessing you guys already have plans to head back to that park. :yes: lol

By the way... thanks for upping my itch to detect by 5 or 6 notches. lol

starman2
02-01-2012, 12:40 AM
:perfect10: :perfect10: :clapping: :clapping:! What an Awesome bunch of treasures |:cheering: Congrats on a fantastic hunt! |:cheering:

CODY
02-01-2012, 03:54 AM
:perfect10: Sweet Sweet finds. Can't do much better than that. |:cheering: Congrats to you!

Tony Two-Cent
02-01-2012, 07:01 AM
Well, I knew you were going on a hunt yesterday so I was expecting a post from you last night. But I wasn't expecting THAT! :shocked04: :shocked04: :shocked04: :shocked04: :shocked04:

That is a GRAND SLAM with the bases loaded! SPECTACULAR HUNT!!!! |:confused:) |:confused:)

Congrats on your first Two-Cent Piece! :clapping:

And that 1875 Seated Liberty Dime is awesome too! :cheering:

Man, that hunt is one for the books! I would be smiling for a week after that! Way to start the year off right, Tim! thumbsup01

tanacat
02-01-2012, 07:58 AM
:perfect10: :perfect10: :perfect10:

Woooo Hooooo! You did great Tim!!! |:cheering: :happydance01: happydance02 :clapping: :peace:

Big time congrats buddy :)

:beerbuddy:

aloldstuff
02-01-2012, 08:14 AM
Tim, Holy Moly,...... :perfect10: :perfect10: :perfect10:. What a hunt. One of those hunts that most of us just dream about. |:confused:) |:confused:)

randy
02-01-2012, 08:57 AM
Wow, that's awesome :omg:. Congrats on some awesome firsts :perfect10:

Tony Two-Cent
02-01-2012, 10:19 AM
That is a GRAND SLAM with the bases loaded!

Oh geez! 8/ :embarrassed:

I guess I shouldn't post before my morning coffee! lol :blush:

I'm curious how the two-cent piece rang up on your E-Trac, Tim. Around 12-40? Did you think it was a wheat cent?

rsarge1
02-01-2012, 10:36 AM
:omg: only one thing to say
[size=5][size=5]AWESOME!!!!!![size=5]

Ill Digger
02-01-2012, 10:43 AM
I'm curious how the two-cent piece rang up on your E-Trac, Tim. Around 12-40? Did you think it was a wheat cent?
No, actually the highest the Co. number I seen was 37 or 38. But I could hear it was next to a trash target. I was getting a mixed sound that was just high enough to make me curious :thinkingabout: When I dug it up and seen it's size I was like :confused: Whats this? A token? :dontknow: But when I wiped off the back and seen the shield I was like. :shocked03: :shocked04: <: After I backfilled my hole I rescanned the hole and got nothin' but pulltab numbers , abunch of 20's Co.#'s :tongue:

I'll bet you scoured the gravel after that Seated popped out. :yes: Find anything else in it?
I did check it for quite a while afterwards but only came up with some clad and junk. Then I commenced to wondering lol
But we're planning a return trip for sure ;) :yes: thumbsup01

Snapolson
02-01-2012, 10:52 AM
Holy Crap! |:confused:) You're on FIRE man!! Congrats on the great hunt!!!

Fire Fighter 43
02-01-2012, 11:03 AM
:wow: a GRAND SLAM!! That is fantastic Tim and a two center |:cheering: That's a great hunt. At this pace I'm never going to catch you this year.

jkress
02-01-2012, 01:09 PM
After I backfilled my hole I rescanned the hole and got nothin' but pulltab numbers , abunch of 20's Co.#'s :tongue:

Probably just a couple of small gold coins that were dropped with the Two Cent piece... Captain Coin Spill. :thinkingabout: :yes:

DennisH
02-01-2012, 01:26 PM
Holy Moly what a hunt!!!

CyberSage
02-01-2012, 02:08 PM
Come on Tim! You didn't find them all in one hole? lol you are slipping friend. :poke: lol Just teasing. Great hunt buddy.

JTGOLD
02-01-2012, 03:23 PM
everybody has said everything I was going to say so I will say very good days hunt and hope you will have a better day next time,wtg,Tim.

Hook
02-01-2012, 03:28 PM
i am in total awe! what a hunt for you ! i can only dream and wish i could find stuff like that here, WTG and big congrats to you! wow!! :perfect10:

serega
02-01-2012, 03:43 PM
:perfect10: No words

angellionel
02-01-2012, 04:28 PM
Awesome hunt Tim! :peace: Those are some very nice digs indeed. :clapping:

sandals
02-01-2012, 06:48 PM
Holy cow!! congrats on the grand slam!!. :cheering: :cheering:....of all the coins, I love barbers the best and yours is one fine looking barber!

Full Metal Digger
02-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Congratulations Tim. You couldn't ask for better weather either! Best wishes and HH, Dave.

BOWSER
02-01-2012, 09:29 PM
thumbsup01 thumbsup01 congrats

Bell-Two
02-01-2012, 11:43 PM
Ring.....Ring......Ring.... Hey man wake up this is your alarm clock....you know ya gotta be dreaming because days like that are not real!!!! :sleepy: Well I guess I am the one that is dreaming of a day like that. Congratulations well earned you da man all accolades to you....does that cover up my envy :envious: :perfect10:

Sincerely couldn't happen to a nicer guy <:

Ytcoinshooter
02-02-2012, 02:06 PM
Wow! Hunch paid off well, ya gotta jump on it when you can.
Congrats - Big Time!

plehbah
02-02-2012, 06:30 PM
Those Midwestern parks are a dreamland for the silver addict. You had some beautiful hunting time there, and your dime grand slam qualifies you for some kind of trophy satin jacket, I think.

AmxFred
02-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Enjoyed the story. Congratulations on some great finds! <:

Ill Digger
02-03-2012, 05:49 PM
At this pace I'm never going to catch you this year.
:thinkingabout: I don't know about that :rolleyes: Once I go back to work the swinging days will be limited crying01

Probably just a couple of small gold coins that were dropped with the Two Cent piece... Captain Coin Spill. :thinkingabout: :yes:
:confused:......... :shocked01: Oh man! 8/ You might be right! I know were I'll be checkin' first! :yes: lol

Come on Tim! You didn't find them all in one hole? lol you are slipping friend. :poke: lol
Yeah, they were all in one hole :yes: You know..... :dontknow: I didn't want to brag or nothin' :angelic:.............. rofl Kidding of course! lol

Ring.....Ring......Ring.... Hey man wake up this is your alarm clock....you know ya gotta be dreaming because days like that are not real!!!!
Sincerely couldn't happen to a nicer guy <:
Well if thats the case. I'm going back to sleep! :sleepy:......... lol
Thanks for the nice comment Tony! :angelic:

Congratulations Tim. You couldn't ask for better weather either!
You got that right! It was like 55 degree's and partly cloudy.......perfect! :daydream:

thumbsup01 thumbsup01 congrats
Thanks man! :groovy:

Holy Moly what a hunt!!!

:perfect10: No words

Awesome hunt Tim! :peace: Those are some very nice digs indeed. :clapping:

Thanks everyone! :beerbuddy:
It was a day I won't soon forget....thats for sure!!

two_bit_digger
02-03-2012, 09:09 PM
:perfect10:..sweet finds, especially that 2 cent!!!

skrapman
02-13-2012, 05:56 PM
out standing!!!! You could not ask for a better hunt. How sweet it is. :wow: