PDA

View Full Version : Three Mercs and an Indian Head at the old park today...

Tony Two-Cent
01-28-2012, 11:19 PM
Today was a gorgeous day for January in central Illinois, so I headed back to the old park where I found the Seated Liberty Dime last weekend. We got a light dusting of snow last night, but it was mostly melted by this afternoon. It got up to 40 degrees here today and the sun was shining bright.

I tried an area of the park where I had never hunted before, and the very first hole I dug ended up being a 1920 Mercury Dime. It was only about 4" deep and rang up in the neighborhood of 13-45 on my E-Trac. The obverse looks like it has paint or something on it, and the back is scratched up, but silver is silver as they say.

About 25 feet from that first Merc I got a really obvious 12-46 signal at only 2-3" deep and I thought that it must be a clad dime, but it ended up being a 1944 Merc! I was really surprised to find a Merc so shallow!

After not finding much else at this new area I headed back near the familiar ball field where I had previously found a couple of Barber Dimes. I got a decent high-pitched signal but it was mostly one-directional. I was somewhat surprised to find a 1935-D Mercury Dime at the bottom of the hole. It was fairly deep and I was honestly hoping for a Barber. I'm not going to complain about a Merc though!

My last good find of the day was a 1905 Indian Head Cent. I was fairly certain that it was going to be an Indian Head before I dug. This is the fifth Indian Head I have found at this park.

My overall results were rather odd today as I didn't find a single wheat cent. Weird.

I also tried to shoot some video today with mixed results. Thanks for looking and happy hunting!

Metal Detecting January Silver with my Minelab E-Trac (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3RwITbfl1U#ws)

Hook
01-28-2012, 11:36 PM
IH's and mercs...a good hunt in anyones book. congrats!

Cheap Thrills
01-28-2012, 11:37 PM
I had a gorgeous day to hunt in also today but I certainly didn't get results like that . Nice hunt with some great looking coins Tony . Great pictures and video as well . :perfect10: |:cheering:

jkress
01-29-2012, 12:44 AM
Man... you are really on to a sweet park. :smitten: :clapping: I'll bet you will pull many nice oldies from there for quite a while. :->

I was out with Ron today and he said... As nice as the weather is today, I'll bet 'ol Tony Two-Cent will be making a post soon. lol He was right.

Is the ground frozen in your neck of the woods?

Nice job on another great hunt. Looks like you are heading for one heck of a banner year. :yes:

jkress
01-29-2012, 12:51 AM
Almost forgot to mention...

Last weekend I opened up Ron's E-Trac to accept silver dollars for him. He wanted me to tell you that from your first video, he noticed your discrimination pattern is still set to reject them in the top right corner of your screen. Since I opened his up, half dollars even hit much better. PM me if you have any questions. thumbsup01

Ill Digger
01-29-2012, 01:36 AM
Last weekend I opened up Ron's E-Trac to accept silver dollars for him. He wanted me to tell you that from your first video, he noticed your discrimination pattern is still set to reject them in the top right corner of your screen.

Yep I was going to mention that too. This is the first time I noticed it. You gotta get that top right corner opened up :yes: thumbsup01
But she's hittin' those Mercs and IH's just fine! :yes: thumbsup01 I noticed that IH came in with a Co.# of 37 :huh:
:confused: Is that normal for you? Normally IH's come in anywhere between 31 and 33 or 34 for me. I think 36 is the highest I've ever had one come in. And boy was I surprised to see it was one. :shocked01: :happydance01: lol
Nice job on the video too. I like seeing what your seeing. That's nice!
Nice hunt Tony!
Congrats!! :grin:

CODY
01-29-2012, 03:55 AM
WTG! Those are some great finds. Love the pictures! Congrats.

pulltabsteve
01-29-2012, 05:08 AM
Nice hunt Tony! Congrats on the sweet finds. Always great getting out to hunt at the end of January |:cheering:

aloldstuff
01-29-2012, 07:47 AM
Tony, silvers and a IH on January 28th. Have you no shame....I will say that seeing the snow on the ground and you out there diggin away really makes me feel normal. Your year is starting off really great, keep it going.

angellionel
01-29-2012, 09:55 AM
I agree with Al, Tony. Shame on you for waking those sleeping beauties from their winter hibernation. lol Love seeing those mercs. :smitten: Very nice hunt! :clapping:

starman2
01-29-2012, 10:00 AM
:perfect10:bop:10 on all your finds! Congrats a great hunt |:cheering: Swingin video too Tony. Always enjoy the videos. You got a great park to hunt. WTG!!

JTGOLD
01-29-2012, 11:52 AM
very nice merc's and IH,Tony,like your video too,great hunt.

Fire Fighter 43
01-29-2012, 04:19 PM
WTG those are some beutiful ladies!!

coop
01-29-2012, 04:22 PM
Awesome!!!!!!!

mike l
01-29-2012, 04:24 PM
Awesome finds Tony, isn't it great being able to get out and dig in January :peace: :clapping: