PDA

View Full Version : 1 1/2 hr. hunt

Cheap Thrills
01-26-2012, 10:23 PM
Accompanied by my Grandson and the family dog I hit this very pounded field behind an old school . This place will never be worked out although it gets tougher and tougher to find anything there .The penny is just a memorial .

Ill Digger
01-26-2012, 10:33 PM
It's silver! Thats all that matters! thumbsup01 lol
But I dig the marble! :yes:
Congrats on the keepers! :grin:
:confused: Do you know your marble types? I wonder what it is? :dontknow:
Is it clear with just a white swirl? :thinkingabout:

Cheap Thrills
01-26-2012, 10:56 PM
It's silver! Thats all that matters! thumbsup01 lol
But I dig the marble! :yes:
Congrats on the keepers! :grin:
:confused: Do you know your marble types? I wonder what it is? :dontknow:
Is it clear with just a white swirl? :thinkingabout:

It's actually only a very common cat eye Tim . It's not worth anything but it adds a little to the picture . It was lying on top of some recent gopher diggings .I happened to notice it whlle in the process of digging up a piece of can slaw .

Ill Digger
01-26-2012, 11:03 PM
It's actually only a very common cat eye Tim . It's not worth anything but it adds a little to the picture . It was lying on top of some recent gopher diggings .I happened to notice it while in the process of digging up a piece of can slaw .
lol Well...treasure is were you find it, as they say! lol
So the cats eyes are considered common? What are we looking for? The solid colors, and the old clays?

Cheap Thrills
01-26-2012, 11:33 PM
lol Well...treasure is were you find it, as they say! lol
So the cats eyes are considered common? What are we looking for? The solid colors, and the old clays?

I bought a book on marbles and it made things more confusing for me . You almost have to have a jeweler's eye to be able to tell the difference between some that are worthless and some that are rare unless they are the very well known old ones and even then some of them can still get confusing .The one I pictured here can be one of 3 different varieties ranging from $1 to $2 each but I could not even get that as you can see by my new picture that it is pretty chipped up .
Now I just put them in a glass jar and enjoy looking at them . Here's a better picture enjoy .

angellionel
01-26-2012, 11:40 PM
That is a keeper find, and with an S mint mark. :clapping: I do enjoy finding the wartime nickels since they hold up so well.... and they are part silver. thumbsup01

mike l
01-27-2012, 12:16 AM
Nice war nickel :beerbuddy:. I see a lot of detectorist finding marbles. Amazing what you find while swinging. My favorite are old bottle dumps :smitten:

Ill Digger
01-27-2012, 12:38 AM
I bought a book on marbles and it made things more confusing for me . You almost have to have a jeweler's eye to be able to tell the difference between some that are worthless and some that are rare unless they are the very well known old ones and even then some of them can still get confusing .The one I pictured here can be one of 3 different varieties ranging from $1 to $2 each but I could not even get that as you can see by my new picture that it is pretty chipped up .
Now I just put them in a glass jar and enjoy looking at them . Here's a better picture enjoy .
Oh cool! I was wishing I could get a better look at it! :clapping: Thanks! |:confused:)
I'm too young to remember playing marbles as a kid, because I didn't! lol Because it wasn't in. I would come across one from time to time. But never payed any mind to them. :rolleyes: Since getting into treasure hunting they're a sweet little bonus! :yes: thumbsup01 In the last 3 years I've found 8½ of'em. I too put them in a glass jar and watch it, as it fills up :daydream: It's a old cork top bottle I found this summer.
Maybe I'll start a thread on that? :thinkingabout:

CODY
01-27-2012, 04:23 AM
Sweet war nickel. I always enjoy finding the marbles. Congrats.

aloldstuff
01-27-2012, 07:51 AM
The field has been pounded yet you still get some silver. I used to collect marbles, quite confusing. Congrats

JTGOLD
01-27-2012, 01:06 PM
nice war nic and neat finds,wtg.

Tony Two-Cent
01-27-2012, 06:49 PM
Congrats on the war nickel and other finds! I'd say it's pretty good to find a war nickel at a pounded site. I love the marble too, they are always a fun bonus!

I found 7 of them last year, including one made of clay, but I don't know much about them.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/Metal%20Detecting/Marbles.jpg

(Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread. :embarrassed:)

Fire Fighter 43
01-28-2012, 06:53 PM
Congrats on a nice hunt!

starman2
01-28-2012, 08:11 PM
:perfect10: Nice finds! :thinkingabout: Did the nickel come out of the ground looking like that? I'm curious. Being only 40% silver. I figured it would be tarnished. I would really like to know. Since I have not come across one yet. |:cheering: WTG!!

Cheap Thrills
01-28-2012, 08:49 PM
:perfect10: Nice finds! :thinkingabout: Did the nickel come out of the ground looking like that? I'm curious. Being only 40% silver. I figured it would be tarnished. I would really like to know. Since I have not come across one yet. |:cheering: WTG!!

Yes it came out of the ground like that the obverse is tarnished a bit but it is patina like , the reverse has the black spots the War nickels usually get but they are very small. This coin came out of natural dirt , not dirt with a bunch of fertilizers and chemicals in it . This is the nicest one I have ever dug by a longshot . :yes:

Hook
01-28-2012, 09:06 PM
thats a good looking war nic! congrats man!

jkress
01-29-2012, 01:14 AM
Nice short hunt Sheik. :clapping:

For some reason... I love getting those War Nickels. :smitten: Congrats.

pulltabsteve
01-29-2012, 05:14 AM
Nice nickel :yes: Always nice pulling a war nic out of the ground.

plehbah
01-29-2012, 07:22 PM
You are speaking my language!

My girlfriend is amazed at how often I leave the house with a $1,000 metal detector only to return with only one marble and one penny.

You are way ahead of the game with a genuine war nickel and faucet handle.