PDA

View Full Version : 2012 and what a start !!!!!

lee
01-03-2012, 07:51 PM
ok if i start to ramble here someone slap me.
2 days ago while driving i noticed a bit of freshly tilled land close to where i live, knowing i had the trusty cheep whites coinmaster in the car i decided to give it a quick go.
the dirt was so soft it was unreal and i sank 2 inches into it with my first step.
undetered i turned my detector on and swung it to the left....beep...beep... im like naaaa.... sure enuff it was up in the high coin region so i dug and i swear to god 1\4 inch down out pops a first for me a 1832 half dime in the sort of condition you can only dream of,every detail even down to the words liberty on her hat where as clear as day and flipping it over the other side was just as good.
i started to laugh like some sort of donkey on crack when i hear a voice over my shoulder,it was the wife saying somthing like i knew it was only a matter of time before you lost ya marbals compleatly.
after explaining to her what i had found she walked off down the field with my bulldog winnie.
10 more steps and out pops a 1943 merc another 8 steps a 1925 standing liberty......by this stage im pinching me self to make sure i aint dreaming.
musket ball,funny broche thingy, realy nice button,and whats this ?....copper disk ?...2 more steps half copper disk 5 more steps another copper disk.
anyway i took it all home and started to clean stuff. the copper disks where toast but i was sure thay where old.
the half dime after looking on coin book ended up being what i think you folks call the key date ? lowest mintage anyway.
larry came home from the cape the day after and i couldnt wait to get him down there with me.
ground today was frozen solid but we gave it a go anyway and once you was through the top soil it was soft and easy.
10 steps,another copper disk but this one i could see some detail on,anyway it was realy cold so we gave it an hour and called it a day.
all in all 4 hours over 2 days and ive done 3 lines up and down this small field and i swear walked about 300 paces and found this lot...im like on another planet at the moment :shocked03: :shocked03: |:confused:) :cheering: >:tongue: .
if anyone can help me out with finding out what coins these coppers are i would be most gratefull,i can see a bust facing left and i think its a man.
sorry if im rambling but im so thrilled its unreal,anyway ill post this story and go and look for the camara cord so i can upload the pics.
happy hunting
lee

Tony Two-Cent
01-03-2012, 07:57 PM
Sounds like a dream site, Lee! I can't wait to see the photos! :->

lee
01-03-2012, 08:16 PM
the pics dont do the half dime justice but here thay are.
i forgot about the barber and the other musket balls in my excitement....weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/ADstuff/pictures/picture-1.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/34q1ag2.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/optz89.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/ofzngy.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/125iesk.jpg

i realy do need a better camera

Tony Two-Cent
01-03-2012, 08:36 PM
Incredible finds, Lee! |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:)

I can't identify the coppers, but I know that 1832 Half Dime is a spectacular coin! That hunt would make my millennium! :loveit:

(Nice SLQ, Barber and Merc too!)

Now THAT'S how to start the year off right! :perfect10:

del
01-03-2012, 08:53 PM
:wow: :smitten: :smitten: great capped bust half dime Lee :perfect10: :perfect10: but those pictures don't do it any justice , you gotta give us a better peek at that little beauty :yes: :yes: form all the coins it sounds like your field was either a house site or used for gathering purpose , let me guess the wife told you it look like a great spot to detect , right?? :poke: :poke: lol lol hey to get the best picture of the detail on them coppers have a light source at an angle so it cast light across the face . its a little hard to tell what you have right now . huge congrats Lee i hope you make it to the meeting to show them off .

Dan

lee
01-03-2012, 09:02 PM
im gona get a good camera tomorow del and ill do what you say with the light so i can get some better pics , and your right the pics just dont do it justice....im sitting here now with it in my hand and its just stunningly silver and i can read every word pin sharp.
ill definatly be at the meeting next week mate to show you them.

jkress
01-03-2012, 11:04 PM
:perfect10: :perfect10: :perfect10:

Now this is a mind blowing start to the new year. |:confused:) Absolutely love the Half Dime. :smitten: :smitten:

Congrats on the other amazing finds too. The SLQ, Barber and Coppers make for an incredible hunt all by themselves. :clapping:

Well done lee.

starman2
01-03-2012, 11:29 PM
|:confused:), I bow down to your 2012 start! Doesn't get any better then this. :shocked04: Congrats on the finds!

DirtFisher
01-03-2012, 11:54 PM
What a wonderful start for 2012!!! :drool: Congrats! I hope you can get back there bring back some more goodies!

Ill Digger
01-04-2012, 01:35 AM
Whoa! :shocked04: What a way to start the new year!! :envious: :clapping:
I too can hardly wait to see that beauty up close! lol
What a outstanding hunt!! :clapping:
Congrats!! :grin:

Jason in Enid
01-04-2012, 07:22 AM
That really does sound like a dream hunt! Congrats!

aloldstuff
01-04-2012, 08:16 AM
Don't walk to far cause you'll fall off that cloud your on. WOW what a great start to 2012. Really love that cap 1/2 dime, super condition. Can't wait for your next post. Huge congrats on hitting that tilled land

tanacat
01-04-2012, 10:33 AM
|:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:)

Absolutely stunning... :perfect10:

I bet you're still flying high on that one... |:cheering: And I bet the mud caked and growing heavy on your boots helped you from floating away after you found it lol rofl I'm an arrowhead hunter - good thing you didn't let the soft mud/sinking deter you!! :yes: Thanks for the details, that was a great story and congrats again, soooo happy for you!

angellionel
01-04-2012, 10:37 AM
Wow! Lee. You did great there! Those are some sweet finds. :smitten: I love that half dime. :yes:

tanacat
01-04-2012, 12:45 PM
Had to come back and look at your half dime again lol

That item you have ? on... flowers and rectangular... it looks like it could've been a barrette to me :dontknow:

lee
01-04-2012, 02:10 PM
a what tanacat ? .
i can tell you its copper and has two small raised bits on the back

randy
01-04-2012, 03:41 PM
That half dime is an awesome find, congrats :perfect10:

tanacat
01-04-2012, 09:21 PM
a what tanacat ? .
i can tell you its copper and has two small raised bits on the back

Sounds like a woman's hair barrette... :)

lee
01-04-2012, 09:44 PM
ahhh ....yer i think your right

Tony Two-Cent
01-19-2012, 10:26 AM
Better photos of the half dime:

http://i39.tinypic.com/30jjou8.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/vs0u29.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/s2qolh.jpg

dperrott
01-20-2012, 07:26 PM
awesome - finds like that are a dream to me... congrats.

sandals
01-31-2012, 01:17 PM
man, I was getting excited reading this-awesome!! and she sure looks pretty!!!

coinhunter
01-31-2012, 03:14 PM
Lee you must be driving my cousin Larry nuts with all your luck. The next time you two are together let Larry check your dig site before you dig. That poor guy is just dying to find some 1800 silver. Maybe you should seed a site for him . Anyway great finds !!!!

Fire Fighter 43
01-31-2012, 05:22 PM
:wow: one heck of a start to the year. That half dime would make my year. Congrats on finding a great new site. Good luck on your return trips and HH

plehbah
01-31-2012, 07:14 PM
Those are some very excellent examples of lost monies. Can you hear that pitter-patter sound?

That is the sound of glory raining down all around you.

milco
01-31-2012, 10:36 PM
:wow: Great finds and a great way to kick off the year!

Ytcoinshooter
02-02-2012, 03:54 PM
What more could I add!?! Beautiful 1/2 dime and the other keepers are icing on the day. What is remarkable is how you had so many good old targets that close. Hmmm...I've got a little coinmaster pro I picked up for my sweetie. Easy to use and light to swing.
HH!