PDA

View Full Version : Long hunt, not much to show.

CODY
12-28-2011, 08:19 PM
Well I went to a new spot today. A vacant lot where two houses once stood. At one time there was a street car that ran in front of these houses. I thought for sure this would be a promising site. Was not to be. Hunted about four hours. Got a bucket full of junk. $1.87 in clad, three wheat pennies, a 1941, 46-D and a 54-D. Another Mississippi Sales Tax Token. And these two military buttons. I havent researched them yet. I don't belive them to be real old, but not sure. del if you are anyone else out there has a clue, please chime in, I would appreceate it. Found them about 20 feet apart. The larger appears to be a hat badge. Thanks for looking and HH

Ill Digger
12-29-2011, 01:16 AM
Nothin' wrong with that hunt! \:hammer:
You beat me today! :yes: You beat me by :groovy: two wheats and :groovy: two cool old buttons! lol
I'm no button exspert . But I found a Great Seal eagle button this year too.
http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=5677.msg67342#msg67342
I didn't know anything about mine either. :rolleyes: :dontknow: lol
Del filled me in on it thumbsup01 |:confused:)

hey Tim i don't see the exact backmark either but it can't be any older than 1902 , thats when the great seal button was first introduced as the official Army button . your smaller button is indeed a cuff sized one and the info about the design on the great seal is this ...

The design on the obverse (or front) of the seal is the coat of arms of the United States. The shield, though sometimes drawn incorrectly, has two main differences from the American :usaflag:. First, it has no stars on the blue chief (though other arms based on it do: the chief of the arms of the United States Senate may show 13 or 50, and the shield of the 9/11 Commission has, sometimes, 50 mullets on the chief). Second, unlike the American :usaflag:, the outermost stripes are white, not red; so as not to violate the heraldic rule of tincture.

The supporter of the shield is a bald eagle with its wings outstretched (or displayed, in heraldic terms). From the eagle's perspective, it holds a bundle of 13 arrows in its left talon, (referring to the 13 original states), and an olive branch in its right talon, together symbolizing that the United States of America has a strong desire for peace, but will always be ready for war. (see Olive Branch Petition). Although not specified by law, the olive branch is usually depicted with 13 leaves and 13 olives, again representing the 13 original states. The eagle has its head turned towards the olive branch, said to symbolize a preference for peace. In its beak, the eagle clutches a scroll with the motto E pluribus unum (&quot:daydream:ut of Many, One). Over its head there appears a glory with 13 mullets (stars) on a blue field. In the current (and several previous) dies of the great seal, the 13 stars above the eagle are arranged in rows of 1-4-3-4-1, forming a six-pointed star.

hope this helps

Sweet finds Cody!! thumbsup01
Congrats!! :grin:

serega
12-29-2011, 01:35 AM
Cody
You buttons coll (eagle)
Very Very good buttons :perfect10: :clapping:

fsa46
12-29-2011, 06:01 AM
I'll take a hunt like that any day out :yes:...WTG Cody. thumbsup01

randy
12-29-2011, 06:28 AM
That site is probably worth another shot. 3 wheaties is promising IMHO. Good luck.

POKIE73
12-29-2011, 06:55 AM
i know your weather there is a lot nicer than ours but all in all its great to be able to still hunt this late in the year so any finds are good now keep digging and good luck dennis

aloldstuff
12-29-2011, 08:22 AM
glad to see that you are still able to hunt. Any day I can muster up 3 wheats and a couple of buttons is a good day for me. Keep digging

JTGOLD
12-29-2011, 11:22 AM
very good hunting,wtg.