PDA

View Full Version : Wheat cents and a couple of silver dimes - December 22

Tony Two-Cent
12-22-2011, 04:26 PM
Another perfect day for detecting here today. I had the day off, so I tried looking for a new place to hunt. I went to a small town that I had never been to before, but I knew from Google maps that it has a small park.

I got there at about 9:00 a.m. and the weather was just right for detecting, cloudy and in the upper 30s. No sign of the ground being frozen at all, it was nice and soft still. I found wheat cents on a fairly regular basis in this park, and ended up with 17 of them. Oddly enough almost all of them are from the 1940s and 50s. I also found two Jefferson Nickels, both of them dated 1947. The 1935 Mercury Dime was a broken signal but it sang nicely after I got the plug opened up. The 1946 Rosie came near the end of my hunt right before I headed home. It was a screaming 12-47 at only 3 and I thought for sure it would be a clad quarter. I couldn't believe it when I saw the edge of a silver dime only 3 deep. This is the second hunt in a row where I've had silver dimes produce a 12-47 signal on my E-Trac. Dimes usually top out at 12-46 and 12-47 is almost always a quarter. Weird. (But I'll take it!) This puts me at 77 silvers for the year. I have tomorrow off too and it looks like the weather is going to be decent again. Maybe my year isn't over yet!

Now I have to wash off all the mud because we're going out to dinner for my birthday. :beerbuddy:

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!

serega
12-22-2011, 05:12 PM
Tony frend
You got me happy. Good catch! Silver super, and a lot of wheat :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
Liberty :cheering: Liberty :cheering: Liberty :cheering:
1935 a good girl

randy
12-22-2011, 05:48 PM
Late December silver. What more could anyone ask for? happydance02

Full Metal Digger
12-22-2011, 05:59 PM
Tony, I'm glad you were able to get out! Looks like you got some good coins there. Looks like my next chance to get out will be Monday or Tuesday of next week. I hope the weather holds. Remember when your goal was to get 50 silver coins? Now you are at 77! That's the e-tac effect my friend! :cheering:

serega
12-22-2011, 06:55 PM
Tony Two-Cent

Happy Birthday Tony
Happy Birthday Tony
Happy Birthday Tony :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

OxShoeDrew
12-22-2011, 07:11 PM
All that coinage...and your birthday? I'm glad for you!

Ill Digger
12-22-2011, 07:55 PM
Whats sweeter than finding a couple of silvers? :confused:
Finding a couple of silvers on your Birthday!! :shocked04: <:
It's nice you were able get out for a litle detecting on your birthday!!
Nice fnds Tony!
Congrats! :grin:
And have a happy birthday sir! :beerbuddy:

russellt
12-22-2011, 08:54 PM
freaking stellar.. very nice finds for sure :clapping:

jkress
12-22-2011, 11:14 PM
Way to go after it in late December Tony. :peace:

Looks like the road trip was worth it. From the wheat cents and silver (Merc = :smitten: )... I'd say this is a park to spend more time at. :->

You've had a great year... glad to see you are still adding bonus hunts to the season.

Congrats buddy.

dave in iowa
12-23-2011, 01:54 AM
Great hunt and Happy Birthday

CODY
12-23-2011, 11:06 AM
Happy Birthday! Love that Silver. Congrats. Merry Christmas and HH.

Tony Two-Cent
12-23-2011, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the birthday wishes, everyone!

I went out hunting again today, to yet a different park. I'm trying to get some new places lined up for next year. An old grade school used to sit where this park is. I found a Mercury dime within 10 minutes of firing up my E-Trac, and then a silver Rosie about 5 minutes later. At this point I'm thinking that this park has great potential! However, I hunted for another three hours and didn't find another silver coin. Ouch.

Oh well, I'm sure there's more there, it's just a matter of getting my coil over it.

Here are my finds for today:

Deja Vu all over again, a Merc and a Rosie just like yesterday!

I also found this old padlock, but I couldn't find any writing on it:

serega
12-23-2011, 04:32 PM
Silver - AGAIN :drool:
TONY Why 2 coins tempt ye me :clapping:
Now 23 00 night
But I want to go hunting >:{
Congratulations on your silver. And the castle funny :clapping: :clapping:

girl liberty - its sooooooooo cool coin ..... :smitten:

For me, these coins Liberty with a girl and wings - they are similar to the Greek style. |:cheering:

aloldstuff
12-25-2011, 07:49 AM
Tony, Happy Birthday. Got yourself some great keepers and I am sure that you very glad that the weather is holding out. Congrats on the silver and another huge pile of wheats.