PDA

View Full Version : Don't you hate it when..........

Cheap Thrills
12-21-2011, 04:09 AM
Don't you hate it when you get a decent signal under a tree root and you bust your butt getting at it and it turns out to be either junk or a Memorial cent ? >:/ Oh well , at least I've done this so many times I've gotten pretty good at repairing the holes ( repair shown in second picture ) . I've been in a real slump lately nothing but clads and a few wheats in about the last six hunts (glad to be getting out though) . :groovy:

Tony Two-Cent
12-21-2011, 06:47 AM
Yeah, I hate that too, so much work and only disappointment as a reward. What was your coin this time, a memorial?

Nice repair job on the hole though! thumbsup01

aloldstuff
12-21-2011, 07:38 AM
Nice repair job. I hate to post this but I'm the type of guy that might have left that penny under the root for the next guy. LOL. Yes roots can be very challenging, nicked a very nice 1917 merc because of roots.

Bell-Two
12-21-2011, 10:38 AM
Yep I can sympathise, so often when you get something under a root it is not worth the effort but every now and then :peace: The last major root dig was by a big old maple and the target was under two roots that crossed sort of like X marks the spot. I had to go out a bit from the side and dig up the target and the result.... a lovely Walking Liberty Half!

Cheap Thrills
12-21-2011, 12:46 PM
Yeah, I hate that too, so much work and only disappointment as a reward. What was your coin this time, a memorial?

Nice repair job on the hole though! thumbsup01

It was a Memorial , usually it's a pulltab or a zinc , I guess I'm moving up in the world .

Nice repair job. I hate to post this but I'm the type of guy that might have left that penny under the root for the next guy. LOL. Yes roots can be very challenging, nicked a very nice 1917 merc because of roots.

Thanks , If I would have left it for the next guy it probably would have turned out to be a Seated .

Yep I can sympathise, so often when you get something under a root it is not worth the effort but every now and then :peace: The last major root dig was by a big old maple and the target was under two roots that crossed sort of like X marks the spot. I had to go out a bit from the side and dig up the target and the result.... a lovely Walking Liberty Half!

She's lovely Bell-Two !!! I would have uprooted the whole tree for that one ( of course I would have replanted it ) . lol

del
12-21-2011, 03:25 PM
Sheik , the opposite is usually true when relic hunting in the woods . when i open up a hole because of a decent target and i hit a 2 inch root i really get excited :smitten: :stretcher: because its more than often a very old and good item . keep at it one is bound to be a seated my friend ;)

I hate to post this but I'm the type of guy that might have left that penny under the root for the next guy. LOL.

Al , your that guy huh >:/ :hairpulling: you must drive Rob crazy :crazy: sometimes lol lol

kenfen
12-22-2011, 09:52 AM
I've been digging 7 and 8 inch Memorials all week. Sucks. But at least I'm detecting.

Regards, ken

Cheap Thrills
12-22-2011, 12:53 PM
Sheik , the opposite is usually true when relic hunting in the woods . when i open up a hole because of a decent target and i hit a 2 inch root i really get excited :smitten: :stretcher: because its more than often a very old and good item . keep at it one is bound to be a seated my friend ;)

I would settle for a Rosie or an Indian Del . :yes:

I've been digging 7 and 8 inch Memorials all week. Sucks. But at least I'm detecting.

Regards, ken

Sometimes we forget that memorials have been around for more than half a century and have had time to sink pretty deep . :-\

Ill Digger
12-22-2011, 10:52 PM
Sheik , the opposite is usually true when relic hunting in the woods . when i open up a hole because of a decent target and i hit a 2 inch root i really get excited :smitten:

I gotta agree with Dan on this one. :yes:

When I get down 4 or 5 inches down and my target is under a big root I start to get excited! :drool:
But I've had my share of 7 and 8 inch memorials too. :rolleyes: :hairpulling: >:# I feel your pain. >{ lol
:dontknow: At least your out diggin' :yes: thumbsup01

tanacat
12-23-2011, 07:30 PM
Sometimes we forget that memorials have been around for more than half a century and have had time to sink pretty deep . :-\

Makes you feel kind of old huh? lol I know you're older than me, but I was in highschool in 1983 when zincolns started to be made. I forget that sometimes, that they've been around that long.

Curious what year your memorial was or did you even pay attention?

That is some root! :shocked03:

Cheap Thrills
12-24-2011, 02:23 AM
Makes you feel kind of old huh? lol I know you're older than me, but I was in highschool in 1983 when zincolns started to be made. I forget that sometimes, that they've been around that long.

Curious what year your memorial was or did you even pay attention?

That is some root! :shocked03:

I gotta agree with Dan on this one. :yes:

When I get down 4 or 5 inches down and my target is under a big root I start to get excited! :drool:
But I've had my share of 7 and 8 inch memorials too. :rolleyes: :hairpulling: >:# I feel your pain. >{ lol
:dontknow: At least your out diggin' :yes: thumbsup01

Feel old ? :yes: A lot more lately Tana, I graduated from High School in 1963 . The memorial from under the root was 1979 . Some 1982's were still copper but that is the year the coated zincs began to appear .

Ill Digger , Your right , at least I'm out digging . :yes:

SeabeeRon
12-26-2011, 08:12 PM
Dang Sheik, you're even older than me!! :poke: :groovy: :white:usaflag::

Mudder
12-26-2011, 08:34 PM
I know how you feel about those roots, but there is this little voice in the back of my head >8) that says if you give up you'll be walking away from a good one. It never is, but you still have to try. Great clean up job. :white:usaflag::

Cheap Thrills
12-27-2011, 02:25 AM
Dang Sheik, you're even older than me!! :poke: :groovy: :white:usaflag::

It's getting extremely difficult to find coins older than I am Ron . lol

I know how you feel about those roots, but there is this little voice in the back of my head >8) that says if you give up you'll be walking away from a good one. It never is, but you still have to try. Great clean up job. :white:usaflag::

Thanks Mudder , I hope your next root dig gives you a great coin for a change . :yes: