PDA

View Full Version : Any December Digs Are Good Digs

z118
12-18-2011, 06:20 PM
The mild weather continues in Upstate NY. I was able to take advantage and got out for a few hours on Saturday and Sunday. I planned on hitting one of my favorite spots on Saturday, hoping for one silver coin to get me to 75 for the year, but it was an absolute swamp on arrival with a light coating of snow over a crust of ice on top of a few inches of standing water over most of the field. So I headed to an odd lot that I last hunted when my father was in town. Targets were sparse that last hunt, though we both scored a Rosie each. Targets were sparse again and snow started falling at a good clip as I hunted. Finally, I started pulling a good number wheats, and then at last a beautiful, well worn, shiny 1925 Merc. That puts me at 75 silver for the year which beats last year's best of 58. I don't know what it is about Mercs but they seem so much more appealing when they are well worn. This one in particular absolutely made my weekend. I also pulled a neat button which reads Perrins Glove which as near at I can figure is an old clothing brand.

Sunday I figured I'd shoot for some clad, so I headed to a local school that had promise in that department. It was only in the 20's when I started, and the ground was covered with a dusting of snow. The dirt was wet and sloppy and the mud would freeze on my digger and gloves when I took it out of the hole. Not fun! But I stuck it out and the temps went up a bit and the clad came at a good clip. I wound up with 83 coins which included 30 nickels. No other targets of note other than an very oddly cut quarter (next to the Merc in the pic).

I don't know if I'll be able to get out again in December. This has been the latest in the year I've been able to get out over the past 3 years... so that's a nice consolation on what has otherwise been a down year detecting wise.

Total for the weekend was 122 coins worth $9.39 which includes the Merc, 8 wheats, and a 1949 Canadian penny. It does not included the cut quarter! lol

Happy hunting...

milco
12-18-2011, 06:36 PM
Congrats on some great Dec digs!

randy
12-18-2011, 06:56 PM
Congrats on some December silver, and reaching a milestone :clapping:

Tony Two-Cent
12-18-2011, 07:10 PM
Congrats on the nice hunt and on reaching 75 silvers! Coincidentally, I hit 75 silvers today too.

I totally agree with you about Mercs being more appealing when they are worn! I would much rather find well worn example from the teens or twenties than a new looking one from the 1940s.

Good job on the bonus December finds! :clapping:

aloldstuff
12-19-2011, 07:58 AM
Way to go on hunting in less than great weather. Congrats on the merc, wheats and the pile of clad.

Cheap Thrills
12-19-2011, 11:01 AM
Sweet finds get em' while you can !!! |:cheering: :clapping:

DennisH
12-19-2011, 01:52 PM
Your right, a worn Merc is nice (the older the better). A call it a great December weekend, WTG.

serega
12-19-2011, 01:57 PM
1925 silver beautifully.
You are doing a great job :yes:

jkress
12-19-2011, 11:14 PM
Yep... any time you can get your digger in the ground in December are happy times. :happydance01:

You pulled some nice bonus items up on your end of the year hunt. :clapping: Love the Merc.

Ill Digger
12-20-2011, 12:09 AM
Like the others have said...any hunt in December is a good hunt. lol
But when you can hunt and you score some silver....well it's like you said...
Any December Digs Are Good Digs :yes: thumbsup01
Congrats! :grin:
I like the.... :confused:......quarter of a quarter thumbsup01 :cool: lol

kenfen
12-22-2011, 09:58 AM
December's been sweet down here in Baltimore. I'm headed out right now. Gotta love it.

Regards, Ken

Fire Fighter 43
12-22-2011, 12:36 PM
Congrats on silver #75, that is a great year.

Cheap Thrills
12-22-2011, 12:55 PM
Sweet Merc ! |:cheering:

russellt
12-22-2011, 09:02 PM
thats a sweet old merc . very nice . :cheering: