PDA

View Full Version : Dang it was COLD

aloldstuff
12-18-2011, 03:01 PM
Today Tim (massdirtfisher) and I went out to detect at a local park that is being torn up. It was 19 degrees when we left at 9am, we usually head out the door at 7am. When we got there the ground was rock hard, I think even harder. We did manage to find some softer areas of grass but that did not leave us much hunting room. After about 45 min there we packed it up and went to another park which we have both hit before. We found a section that we were able to dig and we both some keepers. Tim managed a nice sterling ring and a wheat. I got a 1957 rosie, 2 wheats and a watch fob ( I think). This fob has on the front of it down near the bottom....95th Aniversary... Above that the year 1914, so if my math is correct what happened in 1839??
To the left of the 19 there is a bee hive and to the right of the 14 there is a top to a shepards pole, cross and a crown. In the middle jof the fob there is a building. The outside rim is a chain design. At the 6 o'clock position there are what I think crossed shehpards poles to the left and to the right it looks like crossed swords.

ANYBODY have any ideas as to what this represents:huh::huh::huh:

Thanks for reading and keep digging while you can

CODY
12-18-2011, 04:05 PM
Cool finds. Not sure about the fob. But, with the bee hive, could be Masonic. It seems that right above the building it could be the All Seeing Eye. Another Masonic sign. 1914 could have something to do with the beganing of WWI. There were a lot of Masonic Honor Rolls for the war. 1914 - 1918. Not sure about the 95th Aniversary. Congrats. Thats some hard core detecting, 19 degrees.

randy
12-18-2011, 04:29 PM
Any silver in this weather is nice. :clapping: Supposed to be 50s around here later in the week <: Hopefully you will get some of that too.

aloldstuff
12-18-2011, 05:38 PM
Cool finds. Not sure about the fob. But, with the bee hive, could be Masonic. It seems that right above the building it could be the All Seeing Eye. Another Masonic sign. 1914 could have something to do with the beganing of WWI. There were a lot of Masonic Honor Rolls for the war. 1914 - 1918. Not sure about the 95th Aniversary. Congrats. Thats some hard core detecting, 19 degrees.

Cody, I think you are right on with the masonic call. Now all I have to do is figure out if this came from a particular lodge or what.

Tony Two-Cent
12-18-2011, 09:43 PM
I think the three chain links across the top of the fob indicate that it's from the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. The three links have the letters FLT in them which stands for Friendship, Love and Truth.

Also, doing a Google image search for Odd Fellows reveals that a bee hive is often used as a symbol on their :usaflag:s, banners, medallions, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_Order_of_Odd_Fellows

Cool find!

aloldstuff
12-19-2011, 08:33 AM
I think the three chain links across the top of the fob indicate that it's from the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. The three links have the letters FLT in them which stands for Friendship, Love and Truth.

Also, doing a Google image search for Odd Fellows reveals that a bee hive is often used as a symbol on their :usaflag:s, banners, medallions, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_Order_of_Odd_Fellows

Cool find!

Tony, thanks for the link. Looks like my math was off, should be 1819 which is when they started in America. I am in the process of cleaning this item and at the top I think I can see the FLT in links.

Cheap Thrills
12-19-2011, 11:22 AM
Great finds Al !! Hunting in those temperatures :frozen: you deserve a Detectorist's Hero medal . |:cheering: :beerbuddy:

aloldstuff
12-19-2011, 11:52 AM
Great finds Al !! Hunting in those temperatures :frozen: you deserve a Detectorist's Hero medal . |:cheering: :beerbuddy:

How about a visit to a psychatrist rofl

DennisH
12-19-2011, 12:31 PM
I bet it didn't seem so cold after finding the silver and wheats. Was the park that was ripped up and frozen old? If it is go back with a hammer and chisel, I made some great finds in January and Febuary at a old place like that.

RobW
12-19-2011, 03:36 PM
Great finds AL and Tim. Wish I could have been there with you guys :frozen:

We did have an Odd Fellows Lodge here in Westfield, it was located at the corner of Elm and Main, in the building that LEO'S Deli is in. I don't know when it went out, not familiar with them.

serega
12-19-2011, 04:33 PM
Well digging.
Coin 1957 - Who is it ? - who is on it? Name it is man ? :dontknow:

aloldstuff
12-19-2011, 04:50 PM
Well digging.
Coin 1957 - Who is it ? - who is on it? Name it is man ? :dontknow:

That person on the coin is Franklin D. Roosevelt, one of our past presidents. Wish I could tell you which one. The coins with his portrait on them made before 1964 are silver and we call the rosies. It is a 10 cent coin.

serega
12-19-2011, 05:01 PM
aloldstuff Thank you for your reply. I 'll remember it. :yes:

starman2
12-19-2011, 08:05 PM
Did someone say somthing about silver nickles? Am I missing something here?

aloldstuff
12-19-2011, 08:56 PM
Did someone say somthing about silver nickles? Am I missing something here?

Now you've gone and done it, you've confused me. No nickles here......

jkress
12-19-2011, 11:05 PM
You got some keepers Al. :clapping: The fob is a very cool find and silver is the bonus.
If the thermometer was reading 19... I would have put the detector back in the corner. :rolleyes:
You made it work. <:

Hunting days are definitely numbered now. crying01