PDA

View Full Version : An 1850's House...

jkress
10-26-2011, 06:07 PM
Produced nothing this afternoon. crying01

Of course the drive to the site had me thinking about LC's, Seated coins and plenty of IH's. But reality sunk in pretty fast after I started hunting. lol It was obvious some major landscaping took place over the years.

So I accepted defeat, packed it up and headed to a park for my remaining 45 minutes of detecting time. Luckily a 'hunt saving' Merc showed up along with two Wheat cents. :happydance01:
http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectorist2011/pictures/picture-176.jpg

pulltabsteve
10-26-2011, 06:09 PM
Nice way to save the day Joe! Who in their right mind would carve up a beautiful coin like a Merc?

396nova
10-26-2011, 06:49 PM
Nice find, your hard work paid off. thumbsup01 Great results in 45 minutes. :clapping:

skribnod
10-26-2011, 06:56 PM
A silver a day keeps the tears away I always say. Grats on the last minute finds, just never know when they are going to show up to save the day.

Epi-hunter
10-26-2011, 07:58 PM
Don't you hate it when you have a great new site lined up and are dreaming visions of seateds and barbers and old coppers all the way there, only to get skunked? >{ That is the worst :crying02:

Still, you managed not to go home silver-less, so congrats, you saved the day! I can't believe someone would carve up a silver coin :hairpulling:

milco
10-26-2011, 08:13 PM
I bet the 1850's house was a farmhouse?? I have been there and done that as they say. Those older rural homes often don't pan out because of regrading, etc. But the drive of anticipation to the site is almost as exciting as the hunt itself. WTG with the silver/wheat save!

randy
10-26-2011, 08:42 PM
Way to avoid the drive of shame. Pulling a silver with just 45 minutes to hunt is no easy feat.

silver star
10-26-2011, 09:07 PM
Congrats on the Merc and wheats :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:. Always good to have plan B and couple other places where you can go and pull some goodies. Good luck and HH. Mike

jkress
10-26-2011, 09:24 PM
Who in their right mind would carve up a beautiful coin like a Merc?

Thanks Steve. My thoughts exactly. But, I suppose at the time a Mercury wasn't anything special. :dontknow:

Great results in 45 minutes. :clapping:

:yes: I was quite pleased with the quick locate of silver.

A silver a day keeps the tears away I always say. Grats on the last minute finds, just never know when they are going to show up to save the day.

thumbsup01

Don't you hate it when you have a great new site lined up and are dreaming visions of seateds and barbers and old coppers all the way there, only to get skunked? >{ That is the worst :crying02:

:yes: Although I have learned over the years to not expect too much from a potential site... I still hope and dream the night before and the drive there. I keep hoping... This is finally it! lol

I bet the 1850's house was a farmhouse?? I have been there and done that as they say. Those older rural homes often don't pan out because of regrading, etc. But the drive of anticipation to the site is almost as exciting as the hunt itself. WTG with the silver/wheat save!

It originally was a farmhouse. But, civilization ended up growing around it. The house now sits in almost the middle of town. Oh how I wish I could have ran my coil over that ground 75 years ago before development. :daydream: Most of the houses sitting on the original land now are from the 1960's and 70's.

Way to avoid the drive of shame.

lol :yes:
Yards can be great... but the old parks always have something to give up.

Ill Digger
10-26-2011, 10:46 PM
Ouch! Scar Faced Merc \:[ crying01
Scar faced or not she's still a beauty thumbsup01
Way to save the day! :clapping:
Congrats :grin:

dave in iowa
10-27-2011, 02:29 AM
Bummer Joe , might have been a good one , the civil war house down here is like that , virgin ground , but has been detected , found one rosie there in 4 years , one wheat .dissapointing place , you have to come see it and try , with your skill you just might find a good keeper

CODY
10-27-2011, 06:37 AM
Hey, the old Merc saved the day. Some great finds.

Cheap Thrills
10-27-2011, 09:35 AM
Good short hunt !! You can now say you own a coin that was once owned by a lunatic . :yes:

DennisH
10-27-2011, 10:54 AM
Hey!!! Ain't that one of thoses rare and super valueable Tic tac Toe Mercury dimes:huh:thinkingabout: I see retirement in you future!!! |:cheering: Nice silver.

aloldstuff
10-27-2011, 01:57 PM
Sorry about the dreaqms of LC's, seated, IH's being dashed. That has happend to all of us but you saved the day with a merc and some wheats. Congrats

Tony Two-Cent
10-27-2011, 08:56 PM
Way to avoid the Silverless Drive Home of Shame, Joe! :grin:

Hey, I've seen worse Mercury Dimes! Silver is silver, as they say. thumbsup01

Fire Fighter 43
10-27-2011, 09:35 PM
Way to save the day with a silver. Although a day detecting doesn't really need saving LOL.