PDA

View Full Version : Huntin' with Fire Fighter 43

Ill Digger
10-21-2011, 11:57 AM
Making the 2 hour drive up to the north side of Milwaukee yesterday. I met up with Jeff about 8am. Despite the, let's just say :thinkingabout: , less desirable weather conditions. Being it was overcast with, sustained 12-18 mph winds, gusting up to 20+ mph, 48°, and raining on and off >:\ for most of the day. But like any hard core detectorists :crazy: :crazy: we put on a couple extra layers, dawned our gear, and went for it! thumbsup01 The second place we went to I found a 1952D Rosie and a wheatie. Knowing we only had about 2 hours left to hunt before Jeff had to leave we headed over to his famous picnic grove thumbsup01 :drool: After the two hours were up Jeff told me he was going to have to go but I was welcome to stay and hunt for a while. :angelic: |:confused:) So after handshakes, thank yous and goodbyes till next times, I headed back out. He had told me where he found his Barber quarter we seen in his last video. So I decided to head for that area. I had pulled quite a few early wheaties not far from there. I wondered into the woods and about 30 ft. in I get a 8-38, 9-36 showing about 8-9 inches deep. :huh: It kinda sounded like a deep wheatie. After about a 10 minute dig, fighting through a tangle of a root web and rocks the PP was sounding off loudly! I pulled out a handful of dirt and found a small piece of nail :rolleyes: Rechecking the hole the PP was still screaming at something under a 1 1/2 inch think root :hairpulling: :drool: So I pushed the dirt out from underneath of the root, grabbed the dirt and threw it on the dirt pile and the PP said it was out of the hole.
Searching though the dirt pile I see this.... :shocked04: :drool:
MY FIRST SEATED DIME!! <: :happydance01: :beerbuddy:
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/IMG_1007.jpg

As soon as I finally got it together lol and got back on my feet I decided I better check the area GOOD! :yes:
I got a faint deep signal about a foot away and dug down and found not only my oldest IH but one of the nicest IH's I've ever dug! :smitten: :happydance01:
Here they are together :kiss:
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/IMG_1019.jpg

The reverse sides.
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/IMG_1018.jpg

Here's all the keepers together :yes: With the Rosie and the 12 wheats thumbsup01
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/IMG_1013.jpg
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/IMG_1014.jpg

Huntin' with FireFighter43 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNikLq20LaA&feature=youtube_gdata#)

I gotta give a big thanks to Jeff! |:confused:)
Thanks for inviting me up, and for taking me to you coveted honey hole. And for letting my hang out for a little longer! |:confused:)
Thanks you, thank you, thank you :yes:
I owe you one buddy! :beerbuddy:

Thanks for lookin' & HH everybody! :groovy:

Fire Fighter 43
10-21-2011, 01:42 PM
Your welcome Tim, it was a pleasure hunting with you again. I'm happy you found something that made the trip worth it. Sorry again about that first site. I thought for sure we would have pulled some oldies out of there.
Now to your finds. When I had seen you left me a message shortly after I left, I knew you found something good before I even listened to the message. I did not realize it was your first seated and your oldest Indian. So welcome to the seated club and congrats on two very nice finds. I think that area of the woods is going to get some of my attention in the next few weeks. You are welcome back anytime my friend.

CODY
10-21-2011, 02:55 PM
WOW! :perfect10: what great finds. I have yet to get a seated or IH, but still looking. Congrats on the GREAT finds!

skribnod
10-21-2011, 03:22 PM
Congrats Tim, I bet that was a heart stopper when you saw the seated! I'm glad the day turned out good for you since the weather was not cooperating, |:cheering:

del
10-21-2011, 04:00 PM
[size=1:crazy:t] :cheering: :cheering: first seated :cheering: :cheering: you rock Tim |:cheering: happydance02 :happydance01: <: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

huge congrats on your fist seated dime :smitten: :smitten: and the indian of course :beerbuddy:
and it was great that you got out with a fellow member (FF43)

randy
10-21-2011, 04:04 PM
Congrats on some sweet keepers <: Man that is one sweet picnic grove :perfect10: Hope it keeps giving up the oldies.

Ill Digger
10-21-2011, 05:43 PM
When I had seen you left me a message shortly after I left, I knew you found something good before I even listened to the message. I did not realize it was your first seated and your oldest Indian. So welcome to the seated club and congrats on two very nice finds. I think that area of the woods is going to get some of my attention in the next few weeks. You are welcome back anytime my friend.
|:confused:) Thanks Jeff! It's not my first seated coin altogether. It's my first dime . But anyway :rolleyes: lol
I tried calling you and shooting the video for the YouTube video at the same time lol I was hoping to get you on the video over the phone but I couldn't wait any longer lol I don't blame you for checking out that part some more :yes: I think that part of the woods is just part of the original clearing that has overgrown over the years :dontknow: But defiantly worth a closer look :yes: Let me know...I'll come give you a hand :yes: :angelic: lol Thanks again! |:confused:)

WOW! :perfect10: what great finds. I have yet to get a seated or IH, but still looking. Congrats on the GREAT finds!
Thanks Cody! Just keep lookin' and it'll happen :yes: GL & HH

Congrats Tim, I bet that was a heart stopper when you saw the seated! I'm glad the day turned out good for you since the weather was not cooperating, |:cheering:
It was defiantly like a punch in the stomach when I first realized it was a silver....from that deep! :shocked04: :barf: lol
I remember thinking This could be a seated! :drool: lol

huge congrats on your fist seated dime :smitten: :smitten: and the indian of course :beerbuddy:
and it was great that you got out with a fellow member (FF43)
Thanks Dan!
It's always a good time meeting up with forum members.
Specially when your finding some old coins! :drool: <:

Congrats on some sweet keepers <: Man that is one sweet picnic grove :perfect10: Hope it keeps giving up the oldies.
Thanks Randy :grin: You got that right :yes: He's got himself a real honey hole there! thumbsup01

jkress
10-21-2011, 08:38 PM
<: Seated... :perfect10: Way to go Tim.
She's a beauty. :smitten: Bet that made the trip home enjoyable.
The IH is an early one. :drool: In very good shape too.
All around great hunt buddy. Great video too, I could feel your excitement. :yes:

tanacat
10-21-2011, 08:44 PM
:clapping: :beerbuddy: happydance02 Fantastic hunt Tim!

Congrats on your first seated dime |:cheering: So glad you got to get out for some huntin' w/Jeff thumbsup01

I don't think you or anyone has mentioned the 'L' on the ribbon of your 1864 IH? :rolleyes: Or is it my imagination?

Tony Two-Cent
10-21-2011, 08:48 PM
Mega congrats on your first seated dime, Tim! :happydance01:

That is AWESOME! I am very happy for you! What other seated coin(s) have you found?

That 1864 Indian Head is quite a find too! You really had a great day! I'm still waiting on my first seated coin, and I've never found an Indian Head that old either.

Excellent job unearthing those beauties! |:confused:)

396nova
10-21-2011, 09:14 PM
:perfect10: Very nice finds. thumbsup01 Great story and video. Had to be very exciting. :cheering:

Epi-hunter
10-21-2011, 09:30 PM
Way to go on the beautiful seated dime!!! :perfect10: Great IH as well. Loved the story. Congratulations <:

Ill Digger
10-22-2011, 12:52 AM
<: Seated... :perfect10: Way to go Tim.
She's a beauty. :smitten: Bet that made the trip home enjoyable.
:yes: Oh yeah! Shame free baby! happydance02

I don't think you or anyone has mentioned the 'L' on the ribbon of your 1864 IH? :rolleyes: Or is it my imagination?
Thanks Tawna :grin: I was going to wait and see if anyone else would say some thing. Thanks lol I was wondering if it was just my hopeful thinking and slowly degenerating eyes? Or if it in fact did have a L. I put it on Photobucket and cropped and zoomed in and it's pretty much plain as day. :yes: It's there baby! <: |:cheering:

Mega congrats on your first seated dime, Tim! :happydance01:

That is AWESOME! I am very happy for you! What other seated coin(s) have you found?
Thanks Tony! thumbsup01 I'm still pumped!
It's still sitting right here in front of me so I can peek at it from time to time. Just to verify that it really did happen! :daydream: lol
As for my first (and only other) Seated coin. I remember it like it was yesterday...... :daydream:
October 2009. My first season with my detector. 20 minutes into my hunt...
[attachimg=1]
[attachimg=2]

:perfect10: Very nice finds. thumbsup01 Great story and video. Had to be very exciting. :cheering:
Thanks! Oh it was! I thought I was going to hyperventilate! lol :stretcher:
Thats whats so great about this hobby!....You just never know... :daydream: :drool:

Way to go on the beautiful seated dime!!! :perfect10: Great IH as well. Loved the story. Congratulations <:
Thanks Angie!
It was a great time And I'm glad I've got a group of people here that can understand the thrill of the hunt....and the find! :happydance01:

Thanks for all the great comment folks! :embarrassed: |:confused:)
GL & HH to ya'll :groovy:

aloldstuff
10-22-2011, 08:47 AM
:perfect10: on that seated dime. The 1st seated that yougot is absolutly beautiful. Sounds like a great hunt with a good friend, congrats on your seated and a great looking 1864 IH, plus the other recoveries

OxShoeDrew
10-22-2011, 04:14 PM
Hey Digger, I just read this about indians- The 1864 metal varieties can be distinguished by weight. The 88% copper penny weighs 4.67 grams; the 95% copper weighs 3.1 grams. If the penny has an L, it appears sideways on the back of the neck of Liberty under the bottom feather. (The L always appears after 1864 on Indian Head Cents.)
Maybe one is worth more.
What an exciting hunt and nice video too. |:cheering:

MinelabIowa
10-22-2011, 08:31 PM
Great finds and ecen better video!

milco
10-23-2011, 08:38 PM
Wow Tim! Congrats on the seated dime and glad you had a successful trip! Who says there ain't some good old silver up here in Wisconsin! WTG!

Ill Digger
10-24-2011, 10:34 PM
:perfect10: on that seated dime. The 1st seated that yougot is absolutly beautiful. Sounds like a great hunt with a good friend, congrats on your seated and a great looking 1864 IH, plus the other recoveries
Thanks Al! They're all beautiful :daydream: :smitten: lol
GL & HH :grin:

Hey Digger, I just read this about indians- The 1864 metal varieties can be distinguished by weight. The 88% copper penny weighs 4.67 grams; the 95% copper weighs 3.1 grams. If the penny has an L, it appears sideways on the back of the neck of Liberty under the bottom feather. (The L always appears after 1864 on Indian Head Cents.)
Maybe one is worth more.
What an exciting hunt and nice video too. |:cheering:
Thanks Charlives!!
Yeah I'm pretty sure this is the bronze variety. The nickle ones look red when dug...like a dug nickle lol
I was messin' around with the photo a little more and was able to zoom in and get a better look for the L.

Here's what I came up with. What do you think?
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/IMG_1019-1.jpg

Great finds and ecen better video!
Thanks Joe thumbsup01

Who says there ain't some good old silver up here in Wisconsin! WTG!
Thanks Darren thumbsup01
Oh now that I know that I'll be up there a little more often :yes:....look out >8) lol