PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Colorado, off to Texas

Viking
09-21-2011, 09:13 AM
My wife and I will be leaving the Denver metro area in about a month, heading to the metroplex of Dallas/Fort Worth. I was never much competition out here in Colorado, in terms of detecting, but there will be one less person digging around in an area that has many detectorists! I'm looking forward to seeing what is ready to be found in and around Texas!

If anyone has any information on the rules and regs in DFW for our hobby, I'd love to see it! With the large number of hunters and strict anti-detecting rules in the city of Denver, I'm hoping that the grass might be a bit greener down south, but it's all about how much research and time you put into finding those hot spots. I'm also hoping that the soil is less challenging...but with the dry weather, I'm guessing that Texas has it's own set of challenges. Hoping for some decent winter hunting though, which will be new for me because I've always lived in areas with cold winters.

Looking forward to contributing from another part of the country!

Tony Two-Cent
09-21-2011, 09:36 AM
Best of luck with your relocation! I hope it ends up being a positive move for you, both in terms of detecting and in general. I've never detected outside of Illinois so I can't answer any of your questions about Texas, but it would seem that new surroundings should bring new opportunities.

In the meantime, get a few more good hunts in Denver before you leave. thumbsup01

Dimeman
09-21-2011, 10:52 AM
You are going to love Texas summers.............in the Dallas/Fort Worth area this year, they have had over 70 days of 100 degree or more temperatures. :omg:
The heat and high humidity----the high 90+% will have you dripping with sweat :white:usaflag:: :white:usaflag::

but anyway.............Welcome to Texas !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheesysmile: :cheesysmile:

There are a few from that area who can give you more information about where to detect and any laws.

Viking
09-21-2011, 02:59 PM
You are going to love Texas summers.............in the Dallas/Fort Worth area this year, they have had over 70 days of 100 degree or more temperatures. :omg:
The heat and high humidity----the high 90+% will have you dripping with sweat :white:usaflag:: :white:usaflag::

but anyway.............Welcome to Texas !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheesysmile: :cheesysmile:

There are a few from that area who can give you more information about where to detect and any laws.

I won't lie to you Dimeman, it's not a coincidence that we're moving to Texas after the hot summer has concluded, and before the Denver blizzard season begins! :grin: I'll be eased into the heat, but I'm sure next summer will plenty hot as well (although hopefully not like this record setting summer).

Viking
09-21-2011, 04:34 PM
In the meantime, get a few more good hunts in Denver before you leave. thumbsup01

Thanks Tony. I'm planning a Farewell Tour of Denver metal detecting, which consists mostly of hunting the older yards of different co-workers. Should be fun!

MartinL
09-21-2011, 05:14 PM
What part of DFW will you actually live in? martin

Viking
09-21-2011, 10:44 PM
Ultimately it will be Flower Mound after a ~6 month stint in Addison/Carrolton.

Doesn't seem like I see as many posts from Texans on these sites, as compared to Coloradoans, and especially those in the NE part of the country, but maybe it's just because I haven't had much reason to look before (and because it's probably nearly impossible to detect in the Texas summer months).

MartinL
09-23-2011, 03:12 PM
I've not been able to dig a plug that didn't crumble to pieces, so public hunting has been nil for me, even though I can't say that I have hunted public spots anyway since beginning this hobby last May. I know Collin County is really anal about most things, and I suspect that hitting the soccer fields with a Lesche would make for an unpleasant ending. I will say this though...if they let in metal detectorists to at least get the surface finds, then the replenish rates are really good. There's a lot of upper middle class money-people getting continiously dragged to the fields with their kids. Something gives me the feeling that the laws are against even detecting the county parks, which sucks if it is true. My personal property taxes should give me one of the keys to the county. If they allow detecting, then I've been mising the boat all this time. martin

Dimeman
09-23-2011, 05:03 PM
I've not been able to dig a plug that didn't crumble to pieces, so public hunting has been nil for me, even though I can't say that I have hunted public spots anyway since beginning this hobby last May. I know Collin County is really anal about most things, and I suspect that hitting the soccer fields with a Lesche would make for an unpleasant ending. I will say this though...if they let in metal detectorists to at least get the surface finds, then the replenish rates are really good. There's a lot of upper middle class money-people getting continiously dragged to the fields with their kids. Something gives me the feeling that the laws are against even detecting the county parks, which sucks if it is true. My personal property taxes should give me one of the keys to the county. If they allow detecting, then I've been mising the boat all this time. martin

Martin,
According to the Plano city code--- Plano city parks-- have no laws against detecting.

http://plano.gov/Departments/parksandrecreation/Parks/Pages/rules.aspx

You can look at Collin County website and look under cities they show a list of towns. Check each one to see if there are any laws about detecting. You also can search the county parks section for rules to see if they have any laws pertaining to detecting.If you call the parks department they will just tell you you can't detect...it's easier for them to do, instead of looking it up.

Check out to see what each city close to you says about detecting.

http://www.co.collin.tx.us/government/cities.jsp