PDA

View Full Version : 3 1/2 hour Sunday Hunt

milco
08-29-2011, 05:30 PM
It was just a beautiful day here yesterday, mid 70's and no humidity with a light breeze. I decided to take advantage of it and headed out. Now where to go...hmmmm? I had a new site in mind, or an old cellar hole, or a baseball field grading project. I opted for the ball field where I noticed last week they were starting to do some grading work. Well they stripped about 8-10 inches or most of the topsoil off the surface all nicely put in piles in a field. I hit the ball field and found some change, some trash and the first old coin was the 1945 nickel, then the wheat, and then an 1887 IH. I also found a very old rim fire rifle shell with an H on it and some old copper/brass rivets. The high school was built in the 1950's I think and the area was all farm fields before that. Thought I might find a wheat and some silver, but never thought I would find an IH on this site, too bad its a little toasted.

randy
08-29-2011, 06:37 PM
Congrats on the silver and the IH. I found a half cent in a schoolyard that only goes back to the 30s. Just goes to show that you never know what is lurking there from before.

wingmaster
08-29-2011, 07:00 PM
Congrats on the war nic and IH.

aloldstuff
08-31-2011, 06:37 AM
When I see that 8-10 inches of topsoil has been graded off boy do I get excited. Congrats on the silver and the IH. If that was an old farm field there is more waiting.

jkress
08-31-2011, 09:23 PM
Nice hunt you had there Darren. The IH is always a nice find but I just love the war nickels... I haven't found many this year. :confused:
Glad to see you getting out there. thumbsup01

JTGOLD
08-31-2011, 09:53 PM
nice finds and a good hunt,wtg.