PDA

View Full Version : Let's Come Together! Your best coin ever!

M-Taliesin
01-09-2011, 11:13 AM
Howdy Folks!
Let's all come together as One!
For those members of the American Detectorist forum who have been here before the deluge, and those of us recently arrived, I'd like to put up a few posts to bring evreybody together so we are just one big happy family of AD'ers.

In that spirit, I'd like to open this thread to everybody! And it is a simple start.

For this particular thread, show us your very best coin find ever. I know that this is one of those questions folks ask us when we're out detecting, and we find tough to answer because we all have many finds that are outsanding, and picking out just one ain't easy! But I'd like to ask that everybody post just one or two of their best of the best coins found ever. We all have one or two particularly oustanding finds, those that stand out head and shoulders above all the rest. That's what I'm looking for in this thead.

Whether you've been on this forum since Custer died, or newly arrived, strut your stuff and show it off.
Again, just show us one or two of your most outstanding coin finds ever.

I will post mine later, but wanted to get this thread up and going right away. Snowing here in Colorado, and I don't think I'll get out today so this might prove entertaining!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Salty Dog
01-09-2011, 11:54 AM
Ok Mel,this is not my oldest coin to date,but it is my very first ever Silver,found in 2008 in a park here in Columbus Ohio...

CyberSage
01-09-2011, 04:54 PM
I'm In!

This is a 1914D Wheat Penney found in Berthoud, Colorado on Oct. 22nd 2005. Still has dirt clinging to it. I have not cleaned it other than a light warm water bath and air dry. I keep it sealed in a case.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/CyberSageBH3300/1914dh.jpg
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/CyberSageBH3300/1914dt.jpg

Jack

coinnut
01-09-2011, 08:00 PM
I may change my mind later but this is one of many bests. It's hard to pick though :-\ It's a tie between 2 different half cents. This one is an 1809 over inverted 9. (the other one was an 1805 Draped Bust Half Cent). I picked the '09 one because of its nice condition which is rare in these parts.

giant056
01-09-2011, 08:34 PM
Probably my scarcest one is the 1885 V nickel I found this past summer and I've yet to see another Canadian dollar like this dug, I found the dollar in a woods in the winter and the V Nickel at a torn down house spot.

Beefcake
01-09-2011, 10:25 PM
This is my 1793 2 Reale found in a soybean field along with a 1/2 reale and 1/2 cent.

Ill Digger
01-09-2011, 10:30 PM
This is my 1793 2 Reale found in a soybean field along with a 1/2 reale and 1/2 cent.
Oh...how did I know you were going to put this one in here lol
That is just a coin hunting dream come true... :drool:
Sweet, sweet, sweet

Ok here's mine. It's kind of a tie...
The first one is the prettiest...1876 Seated Half (s) mint...my second oldest US silver coin, found in '09.

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/2009/1876seatedhalffront.jpg
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/2009/1876seatedhalf.jpg

But this one...1814 Capped Bust dime.... isn't as pretty but....I love it :smitten: And they just don't come this old around here !!
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/2010/18_4CappedBustdime.jpg
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/2010/Reverse18_4CappedBustdime.jpg

M-Taliesin
01-09-2011, 10:51 PM
Howdy Folks!
Okay, I am going to enter 2 into this thread.
The first is an 1889 Morgan silver dollar found on a wood chip covered tot lot in Northglenn (or is it Thornton? they sorta run together!).

Anyhow Pipster was working another part of the tot lot, when I got a terrific signal and started sweeping away chips with my probe. I caught the glint of silver and hollered to Pipster who came running. He also nearly decapitated himself when his head connected low hanging tot lot structure. But as the item came into view, I was disappointed to find it was a token for the Buffalo Bill Museum up on Lookout Mountain.

Pipster went back to his side of the lot while I kept detecting on my own. Before long, I got another terrific signal and again swept away chips and saw that glint of silver. I called to Pipster before it dawned on me it was likely another Buffy Bill token. But as Pipster watched, and I swept away the chips, a familiar face came into view. A moment later I was holding an 1889 Morgan silver dollar. It wasn't in the case you'll see in the photo, I got that for it later. Meanwhile, Pipster ain't quite got over that one yet!

The other find was taken while working an easement in an old neighborhood in Brighton, where I work. It was near the curb and some 6 or 7 inches deep. I'd never seen a Barber before, and didn't know what I had so I took a photo with my cellphone camera and sent it to a friend, who immediatley called back. What is the date on that thing, he asked in an excited voice. 1895 from what I can see I replied. Are you kidding me? You found an 1895 Barber dime? he was almost hysterical sounding. Guess so. Why?
What is the mint mark on that coin? he asked. I looked hard and couldn't find it until he told me where to look. Ah, it's an 'O'.

My friend told me I'd found a key date coin. I had no clue what a key date was, just as I didn't know what a Barber was. This was found with my XLT during my 1st 3 months of detecting. It was probably my best coin find ever, but I've made some great ones since then!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

russellt
01-10-2011, 01:22 PM
my best coin is a 1861 half dime found with a whites prizm II in a clay bank at 2 inches. it was actually my first silver coin i ever found . talk about getting hooked . this coin was holed and as you can see it wasnt holed lond before it was lost . you can still see the shards of silver on the reverse

M-Taliesin
01-10-2011, 02:30 PM
Howdy Russell!
That coin looks like it was shot with a small caliber weapon, like a .22 maybe.
Just how it looks from this end of the monitor.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

tanacat
01-10-2011, 04:19 PM
This 1833 LC is special because it was my first copper and really ignited my passion for metal detecting. :) Plus the place I found it- it's a real spooky old place, one of my favorite spots to hunt...

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_6096.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_6099.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_6139.jpg

Carver
01-10-2011, 04:19 PM
Here's a couple of real good finds,,,,,hard to pick from the others,,,I will go back through my pics for more.
1st pic is a Love Token
2nd pic has an 1885 Key date V nickel in the upper right <: <: <: <: <:

Spike
01-10-2011, 05:04 PM
Have to go with my 1833 dime with dent and all :mad: never been so happy and mad at the same time :shocked04: :ticked: Followed closely by my first and only half dime :stretcher: O and my 1918 SLQ and..... well I like all my finds :beerbuddy:

Dixie Rebel
01-10-2011, 05:40 PM
You all have some really beautiful coins. Here are my two favorites.

milco
01-10-2011, 06:23 PM
1895-O Barber Dime, found in a friend's front yard in 2009. One of four silvers from this yard and the oldest. This is the key date to the Barber Dime set.

Cheap Thrills
01-11-2011, 04:39 PM
Been doing this seriously for about 19yrs. and have found lot's of INCREDIBLE stuff . This was found about 17yrs. ago in a public park . Now I'm lucky to find a decent coin in one hunt out of five . The sites around here have been pounded , pounded and pounded some more . I have found many great coins and some real sweet silver and gold jewelry even a few relics over the years but the last couple haven't seen me finding or posting much .Getting older and having a lot of responsibilities don't help either but I am extremely thankful for all I have found and some of the great people I have met .Besides a Buffalo nickel I found 2 weeks and 3 hunts ago my most recent best find was $3.16 , 3 foreign coins and a token at the Coinstar machine ( the spirit of the hunt rages on ). I hope the pic's came out as this coin is pretty toasted and my picture taking sucks .

Baba

Salty Dog
01-11-2011, 05:29 PM
Sweet Coin,That would do it for me too :yes:

wheresthegoodstuff
01-11-2011, 06:34 PM
Heres my best.
Out here in California we dont find many large cents, so this one was a big suprise. What makes it even better is I didnt even know I had it till a week later.

Went detecting with a buddy at an 1850s gold mining town a few years ago when I had just started detecting and found a strange disk with edges and a hole through the middle. Looked alot like a pizza cutter and didint think much of it, so I threw it in my finds pouch.

The next week and I went to visit my sister at the coast and was doint a little beach detecting. Half way through the day I decided to go through my detecting pouch and I found the what I thought was a relic again except this time I could see an outline of lady liberty. The week of rustling around in my finds pouch must have done just enough to get some of the crude off of it and you could see what it really was.

Needless to say when ever I go detecting with my buddy now, he makes me empty my finds pouch at the end of the day, to make sure I havent missed something that I didnt realize was there. ;)

Dimeman
01-11-2011, 11:14 PM
These aren't my best, but are the 2 oldest coins I have ever dug.

The 1875 Seated Half was dug in a WW1 training camp area, way back in an area hard to get to. It was under a thick layer of leaves and twigs, and right on top of the ground, and made my Whites M6 overload.

And the 1868 Sheild Nickel was dug while new water mains were being put in, in our neighborhood. It was next to a large oak tree in the dirt the construction crew dug a 12 foot hole from.

wingmaster
01-12-2011, 02:08 PM
I pulled about 30 old coins out of this place so far but there getting few and far between now. I did get a nice 2 center early this last season here and this is the best one I found so far that came from the same spot the first year I started detecting in 2009. HH

M-Taliesin
01-12-2011, 02:25 PM
Howdy Folks!
There ain't many posts I was really this happy about starting, but this particular one is really gratifying me immensely. We are seeing some really beautiful coins here, and I am totally delighted to see what ya'll have found over the years. Great stuff folks!

Keep 'em coming!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

coinnut
01-12-2011, 02:43 PM
Here's a couple more beauties I found. Liberty Capped Large cents are kinda hard to find. I have 3 but these two are the best ones. First is a 1796 and followed by the 1795. Also a 1785 Connecticut Copper, an 1805 Draped Bust Half Cent and finally a 1799 George III copper.

dave in iowa
01-12-2011, 04:16 PM
I think this is my best condition coin , 1898o barber half and this nice large cent

coinnut
01-12-2011, 04:20 PM
I think this is my best condition coin , 1898o barber half and this nice large cent

I love big silver :yes: It still amazes me that prople can actually lose something that big :confused: But I've never complained when I've dug one up lol Nice condition Large Cent too thumbsup01

mike l
01-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Found this 1772 King George in the woods a week after finding a no date King George close by. I some how lost it when I went on hunting and Pulltab Steve found it a few weeks later and returned it to me. This is my oldest coin to date. Thanks again Steve thumbsup01

coinnut
01-12-2011, 04:36 PM
Found this 1772 King George in the woods a week after finding a no date King George close by. I some how lost it when I went on hunting and Pulltab Steve found it a few weeks later and returned it to me. This is my oldest coin to date. Thanks again Steve thumbsup01

So.... Mike, This is actually Steve's best coin find to date rofl After all if everyone who lost it could claim it as theirs, then the original owner gets to claim it. lol Nice copper Mike!! thumbsup01 There are some counterfeits in that series which are worth more than the original, regal ones. They should read lower on the number scale on your machine if they are counterfeit. Great shape early copper :clapping:

jkress
01-12-2011, 04:52 PM
:shocked04:

Some very beautiful coins in this thread. :clapping:

I guess if I had to pick a favorite coin or coins from this last season... it would be this Barber quarter.

What I really enjoyed about this particular coin is the nice clean, clear and sharp signal I received on it. Hit 00 28 from all angles and was sitting at 6 inches on the depth scale. It was exciting because I knew without doubt what the target was before I dug. AND considering the site I was working that day I knew it had to be a Barber or SLQ. I took my time to enjoy the pinpointing and digging of the target.

http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectorist/pictures/picture-79.jpg

My second favorite from last year was my first Shield nickel.

http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectorist/pictures/picture-92.jpg

Hopefully next year I'll have my first 1800's silver coin and my first Large Cent to add. :yes:

PL8MAN
01-12-2011, 08:09 PM
Here is the best large silver coin I dug up . I found this last summer at a school field 7 inches deep . I did very little cleaning !!

Evan/tn
01-13-2011, 01:59 AM
I found this half dollar next to a merry widows tin :embarrassed:

giant056
01-13-2011, 06:45 AM
Nice old half Evan, them Merry Widows tins are fun to find if you can find both halves, they are made from real tin and easily bendable and pure tin is very corrosive resistant.

Salty Dog
01-13-2011, 08:19 AM
That Steve is one heck of a great guy,nice old coin.....lost,found,lost and found again,the stories it could tell thumbsup01

M-Taliesin
01-15-2011, 02:00 AM
Howdy Folks!
Here is a coin I found up in Divide Colorado while hunting with Pipster. I had taken Pipster down to the gold mining district of Cripple Creek/Victor and gave him a look at the historic district as well as a current mining operation still getting gold out of those hills today.

This coin baffled me because I had never seen one of these before. It was one of the best ever coins I ever found. Not the totally best, but right up there in the top three!

Blessings
M-Taliesin

Salty Dog
01-15-2011, 03:52 PM
Since we are just posting away...Here is my oldest coin to date,found last season in an old soccer field 8 deep,it took a lot of effort to get it to the point where it could be seen...Here is the pic.

Kimster
01-17-2011, 02:27 PM
OK. For anyone following my progress, resizing on Adobe Photoshop (@ $100+) clips the photo....arrrrggggggg..... :behave:

Kimster
01-17-2011, 06:37 PM
Here's my best. It was a lot more work posting it than finding it. It came out of the ground just as you see it. I washed it with soap and water only. :happydance01:

Poker Jim
01-18-2011, 01:31 AM
Here is probably my best find. A 1915 plain Barber half. Found it in a park believe it or not, just a bit off the beaten path. This one is even in the latest White's catalog. Check out the MXT page, at the top is my half. Pretty cool I thought.

Poker Jim

Salty Dog
01-18-2011, 06:51 PM
Here's my best. It was a lot more work posting it than finding it. It came out of the ground just as you see it. I washed it with soap and water only. :happydance01:
Wow Kim,that one was worth all the hassle you went thru finding it and posting this picture,Awsome detail,you have to be one proud papa of that one :beerbuddy:,on the bright side now posting will be a breeze for you :grin:,keep them finds coming,Dave

Woody420
01-18-2011, 09:01 PM
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s6/woody420_2007/DSC05067.jpg
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s6/woody420_2007/DSC05069.jpg

My best coin...1877 IH key date. Just found out It won the best coin find of year for my metal detecing club.

nash ranch
01-18-2011, 11:17 PM
Here is my best find so far. It was a very exciting day to find a 1818 Capped Bust Half. Will never forget the feeling i had when she popped out of the ground. Still can't believe it. Still get the shivers every time i think about it

Nash Ranch

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-18-2011, 11:26 PM
some beautiful and rare old coins posted so far.
here's a few of my best i guess

wild willy
01-19-2011, 05:31 AM
great topic!! this would not be my best shape coin but it would be my lowest mintage coin. 866.000 i found this a couple of years ago under a huge old tree i have been eyeing for quite some time driving by it. the spot just had that tree it was at a intersection. one day i listened to my head and stopped. it was the only coin signal and coin i got. so listen to those voices in your head that say STOP AND DETECT. :shocked04: WILLY

coinnut
01-19-2011, 03:49 PM
Here is my best find so far. It was a very exciting day to find a 1818 Capped Bust Half. Will never forget the feeling i had when she popped out of the ground. Still can't believe it. Still get the shivers every time i think about it

Nash Ranch

Hey Nash, that may be a rare variety of that year. Not retirement fund kind of stuff lol but who knows :dontknow: I see it in Breens Encyclopedia listed as #4625 1818 pincer 8's Ov. 108. 8's open at tops Ex. Rare Unc. I think it's extra rare in uncirculate condition, but still a nice coin in the used condition you have it in. It looked real odd right when I saw the date. Nice find!!

Poker Jim
01-19-2011, 06:15 PM
Some really beautiful finds here. Looks like the people on this forum know what they are doing. Can't wait to see more.

Poker Jim

sniffy
01-19-2011, 06:30 PM
Here's my best coin. A low minted 1811 Classic Head Half Cent. 2nd would be this very nice 1829/30 Capped Bust Dime...and last but not least a very well preserved CT Copper.

coinnut
01-19-2011, 06:34 PM
Here's my best coin. A low minted 1811 Classic Head Half Cent. 2nd would be this very nice 1829/30 Capped Bust Dime...and last but not least a very well preserved CT Copper.

Jesse, you're alive :shocked04: lol Nice stuff :happydance01:

sniffy
01-19-2011, 06:38 PM
Jesse, you're alive :shocked04: lol Nice stuff :happydance01:
Alive and UN-WELL with all this :frozen: ! PLOW PLOW PLOW and PLOW...BOOOOOOOOO! :crying02:

zrickkid
01-19-2011, 07:15 PM
Lots of great stuff there! :shocked04: :shocked04: :shocked04: :shocked04: Hope you guys can all top them next year.

capt.
01-19-2011, 11:16 PM
After looking at all those wonderful old coins I feel somewhat inadequate posting this picture of my first silver coin, it just happened to be a 1941 mercury dime. I found it about 3 weeks ago. I was a happy camper. Found a titanium ring that day too.

capt.

wild willy
01-20-2011, 05:02 AM
hey capt.! check it for a date over variety. it might be a real sweet first find. willy

midas
01-20-2011, 05:42 PM
Incredible finds! :cheering: in this day and age. Back when I started detecting in the 60's, there were tons of old stuff pulled out of the ground, when the 70's and 80's came and went, the popular concensus was that every place had been cleaned out. Today we're not getting the quantity from the old days, but we sure are getting the quality. :thinkingabout: It boggles the mind on how much stuff remains yet to be found. Everywhere in America is literally paved with silver and gold! Can't wait til spring. Too bad we have a 2 foot snow pack here.

M-Taliesin
01-24-2011, 11:14 PM
Howdy Folks!
Ya'll have found some extraordinary coins out there. And there are more to be found every day.
Each day holds the promise that any of us might find an incredible old coin. Let's keep this thing going!
I just found my first 2 cent coin coming back from Texas, and I didn't even know I had it until I started in to photograph my finds from the trip. You just never know what you'll find next, and therein lies the adventure!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Bubba707
01-25-2011, 12:31 PM
Ok Mel, here's a few of my favorites.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/bubba1707/coins/GRthumbsup0101047.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/bubba1707/coins/GRthumbsup0101048-Copy.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/bubba1707/coins/GRthumbsup0101049.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/bubba1707/coins/GRthumbsup0101050.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/bubba1707/coins/GRthumbsup0101045.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/bubba1707/coins/GRthumbsup0101046.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/bubba1707/coins/GRthumbsup0101053.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/bubba1707/coins/GRthumbsup0101054.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/bubba1707/coins/GRthumbsup0101051.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/bubba1707/coins/GRthumbsup0101052.jpg
I have a bunch more but it would take a long time to get them all scanned

xzlr8n
01-25-2011, 03:27 PM
Here is a couple of barber's I found on the same day!! The 1895 dime is a semi-key worth about $80!! The quarter is a high mintage year but in great shape. Haven't had a two barber day in along time crying01

del
01-25-2011, 04:17 PM
good topic Mel , this thread has some great looking coins :drool: :smitten:

heres a couple of my favorite ones

zrickkid
01-25-2011, 04:51 PM
Sweet coins guys! kudos to you all. :cheesysmile: :cheesysmile:

Salty Dog
01-25-2011, 04:54 PM
Nice Coins Del,but that 2 center is perfect :drool: :drool: :smitten:

pulltabsteve
01-25-2011, 06:12 PM
I want to get out and dig..... :bangahead01: GREAT coins I see here thumbsup01

pulltabsteve
01-25-2011, 07:04 PM
Dont know about the best but this is my coolest.

sniffy
01-25-2011, 09:41 PM
good topic Mel , this thread has some great looking coins :drool: :smitten:

heres a couple of my favorite ones
Del, some very choice coins! That 2 Cent has stunning detail! :shocked04:

zrickkid
01-25-2011, 09:46 PM
You guys have found some great stuff. I hope to post something cool this week. :angelic:

DaleGM
01-25-2011, 10:10 PM
found this one at a site under construction a low mintage 1860 S Seated dime

jkress
01-25-2011, 10:26 PM
:shocked04: :shocked04: :shocked04:

There are some fantastic coins in this thread. Pretty much everything here is on my wish list :rolleyes: ... and a few I haven't even thought about moving to the list yet.

It is inspiring to see such a wonderful collection of metal detecting discoveries. :peace:

coinnut
01-26-2011, 09:27 PM
To keep this post going, here is some of my better silver.

pulltabsteve
01-27-2011, 05:34 AM
:clapping: WTG George!!! Those are some SWEET finds <:

PL8MAN
01-28-2011, 11:38 PM
Here is my oldest coin found . I just dug it 3 weeks ago :beerbuddy: 1834 Capped Bust dime .
HH
Glen