PDA

View Full Version : December 30th woods hunt

giant056
12-31-2010, 09:22 AM
I went to a preserve that I've been hunting the past 4 or 5 winters. I've made some great finds there, some of my best relics and my only 2 silver dollars came from there. I didn't find much there on this hunt, the old shotgun shells I like checking out and I'll find one I've never seen every now and then, the J.C. Higgins padlock says made in U.S.A. on the otherside. I did find a nickel and a zincoln so I didn't get skunked on the coins

giant056
12-31-2010, 09:24 AM
here's a compass I found there 2 winters ago, it was about 8 inches deep, works great too.

Bell-Two
12-31-2010, 09:35 AM
The JC Higgins is a bicycle lock, that long shafted type of lock was common years ago. JC Higgins was a name used by Sears for many of their sporting goods items including bicycles, shotguns and other accesories.

Epi-hunter
12-31-2010, 11:21 AM
That padlock is cool, and I love the compass you found last year! Even your shotgun shells are beautiful :happydance01: :happydance01: I love your photos! Great hunt!

Nitro 54
12-31-2010, 11:50 AM
Nice finds Larry ,you don't see 410 brass to often in the wild .... Awesome compass find

Evan/tn
12-31-2010, 12:42 PM
I think i lost my grandad's compass up there a while back :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :grin:
Can't find the good ones every hunt,i just proved that myself today lol
Good to see ya got out!

del
12-31-2010, 12:58 PM
it sounds like a very nice area to detect in Larry , :yes: the compass is a sweet looking piece :clapping: :clapping:

wheresthegoodstuff
12-31-2010, 01:00 PM
Cool find on the compass. Its nice to have a spot to go back to.

RaZR
12-31-2010, 02:29 PM
Good diggin's from the woods Larry. And cleaning up after Nitro will get you brownie points! rofl

giant056
12-31-2010, 03:10 PM
The JC Higgins is a bicycle lock, that long shafted type of lock was common years ago. JC Higgins was a name used by Sears for many of their sporting goods items including bicycles, shotguns and other accesories.
My first shotgun was a J.C. Higgins with a polychoke on it.

Another thing I might add is the type of soil that's here, it's mostly real dense peat, Carl Kleinstuck owned it back in the late 1800's till the early 1900's and harvested peat out of there. He hired the native Indians to haul it out in blocks with mules. Around 1920 I think his surviving wife donated it to the state of Michigan and around the early 60's the state gave it to W.M.U. The last couple years they've been clearing out down around the bog part of the preserve and clearing out wide swaths all over the place. I haven't really hunt that part much at all but I found some really old forged spikes that look like miniature railroad spikes. The soil is really kind on metal in the dirt on this preserve and it only freeze in a couple small areas which makes it one of my favorite hunting spots for Michigan winters.

coinnut
12-31-2010, 04:34 PM
Real nice compass, even nicer that it is dated for you lol Cool looking padlock and even the shotgun shells look collectable. You probably already know this, but here is a link for shotgun shell identification: http://members.shaw.ca/cartridge-corner/shotgun.htm
We have a bunch of reference links under the Relic section (up top) and on the home page (left hand side). Great place to hunt Larry :clapping:

odave
12-31-2010, 09:12 PM
Congrats on the Shot gun shells,Nickel and Penny Larry
Can't remember the last time I saw a 410 shell find ..cool

Salty Dog
01-01-2011, 01:13 PM
You do have some sweet soil there Larry,That compass is a thing of beauty :yes: