PDA

View Full Version : quick hunt silver

randy
12-02-2010, 03:09 PM
Haven't been out much lately, but managed to get out today a bit -- hit a new site, a small (1-2 acre park) that goes back to at least the 50s. Not sure what to think about such small areas -- you figure its easily been covered, but its pretty hidden, so I gave it a try. No modern clad, but found a wheatie and a few early 60s memorials, all very shallow, in tough, no threshold and trashy areas. The easy areas seemed to have been picked clean. It was too cold and windy, so I decided to call it a day. I figure there may be a silver or two tucked in there, but it will have to wait for a warmer day.

Ran some errands, and realised I was near a site that has given up silver on a few previous visits (what a coincidence lol ), and since I had the machine along, decided to hit it, and got a merc as the first target :happydance01: Again it was too windy and cold, so I only spent a half hour there.

Silver #117 for the year. I'd like to get to 119, as that would be exactly 100 more than last year's total. Hopefully this weekend I'll get that done if the weather cooperates. I'll wear a jacket this time lol

Its amazing, that as I write this, a silver dime is worth $2.07, and a silver quarter is worth a little over $5. The dime is worth more than $1.37 in clad I found today, and most hunts lately have been more valuable in terms of silver than clad, even if I only find a couple. I of course don't do this for the money, but it is interesting to think about. While I find focusing on silver more fun, now it may be more worthwhile on average as well, at least for me.

Well, that's enough blather for the day, have a good weekend everyone.

jkress
12-02-2010, 03:16 PM
Great Merc. :clapping:

I'm rooting for you to hit 119. :yes:

That's a huge jump in silver from last year. Did you not get out as much last year, or maybe you're hunting with a new machine this year?

Either way.... that's a ton of silver for the year. Congrats. thumbsup01

randy
12-02-2010, 03:42 PM
Did you not get out as much last year, or maybe you're hunting with a new machine this year?

I had about 15 when I switched to the E-Trac full time around the end of May. I'm not saying another machine wouldn't have found them (tho I know another didn't find some of them, as I did side by side tests with another machine in those days). What it comes down to is I find the E-Trac fun to use, and I like the way it works, so it motivates me to get out more. So I've definitely gotten out more. I also have more confidence in it. And when you're finding stuff it motivates you to do more research, better research, and so forth. It also helps to be lucky enough to have found a honey hole, so in my case, its more luck than skill over last year, tho my total from last year includes 10 from that honey hole.

coinnut
12-02-2010, 04:27 PM
Nice that you found your way back to that spot again lol I hope you make your goal, but even if you don't, it was a great year of hunting. :clapping: I agree, if you like your machine you will most likely detect more. Nice little hunt. I hope your errands bring you closer to #119 soon. ;)

zrickkid
12-02-2010, 04:30 PM
Those are some pretty impressive #s you put up this year! Hope you can find those 2 more silvers!

angellionel
12-02-2010, 05:26 PM
You just have to love those types of on the fly hunts. :happydance01: Nice lady liberty. thumbsup01 We are rooting for you to make it 120! :cheering:

Jason in Enid
12-02-2010, 07:12 PM
Congrats on the silver hunt! 1 - 2 acre parks? That's about all we have here. What size do you normally hunt?

milco
12-02-2010, 08:49 PM
Nice Merc, hope you hit your goal.

jkress
12-02-2010, 09:56 PM
What it comes down to is I find the E-Trac fun to use, and I like the way it works, so it motivates me to get out more.

thumbsup01 .... You hit the nail on the head there. When you are having fun, it all falls in to place.