PDA

View Full Version : Cold Saturday Silver

angellionel
11-27-2010, 09:26 PM
Man it was cold today! This afternoon the wind began to pick up too, making it even colder. I lasted only four hours at the park. It's time to start wearing some thermals. lol

Anyway, George (coinnut) kindly loaned me his Sunray X-5 coil as I wanted to give it a try at a trashy park I had worked in recent weeks. It is a nice coil, and it performed well at the trashy site. Two things I noticed though. First, the aluminum screw caps that heavily litter that park were not sounding off with the uneven warble I am used to hearing when using the Pro coil. The Fe number was hitting mostly at 14 though, as expected. Second, the depth gauge was way off. For example, targets showing up as 8 inches deep were actually at about 4 inches. Nothing that one can not adjust to however. :yes:

I dug up plenty of coins from among the trash, but only three were silver. One is a half dollar though. :happydance01: I also dug up a sterling silver ring and a 18k gold plated ring.

The three silver coins I dug up today. The Walking Liberty is my 27th Walker this year, 13 found with the E-Trac at parks and 14 with the Excalibur while shallow water detecting.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/November/silvercoins_112710.jpg

The silver ring is marked 'Sterling'. It has an interesting design, the full body image of a man, a swimmer perhaps.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/November/sterlingsilverring_112710.jpg

This is a nice vintage ring. The marking Karaclad is a trademark for a very thick gold electroplating process; this type of plating is about 14 times thicker than standard electroplating.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/November/vintagekaratcladring_112710.jpg

Stay warm everyone!

HH!

z118
11-27-2010, 09:29 PM
Great digs Angel! I must say you post a ton of finds that I would really like to see all cleaned up. Do you keep things like the swimmer ring or do you eventually sell them for scrap?

angellionel
11-27-2010, 09:31 PM
Great digs Angel! I must say you post a ton of finds that I would really like to see all cleaned up. Do you keep things like the swimmer ring or do you eventually sell them for scrap?

I keep the silver rings. There is such a variety that it is fun to collect them. I only scrap most gold rings. :yes:

coinnut
11-27-2010, 09:36 PM
lol I guess that coil works :happydance01: Not bad for a couple hour hunt. Now if you can only remember to dress warm, you may hit your goal :cheesysmile: Glad you got a chance to try it out. I hope you are going back tomorrow with some real clothes and finish that trashy area :eyebrow: Almost all smaller coils change the depth readings. I think they are all set on the standard coil the machine comes with. Larger coils are off, but not as much. Sweet rings and silver!! :clapping:

angellionel
11-27-2010, 09:51 PM
lol I guess that coil works :happydance01: Not bad for a couple hour hunt. Now if you can only remember to dress warm, you may hit your goal :cheesysmile: Glad you got a chance to try it out. I hope you are going back tomorrow with some real clothes and finish that trashy area :eyebrow: Almost all smaller coils change the depth readings. I think they are all set on the standard coil the machine comes with. Larger coils are off, but not as much. Sweet rings and silver!! :clapping:

I'm tempted to make the long drive again. lol

It felt funny working the small coil. It is so light that my arm wanted to swing much faster than was called for. lol Yeah, smaller coils do have a depth reading that varies quite a bit from the stock coil. I just had to keep reminding myself of that each time I had a 9 reading. rofl That was the case with the half, but it was actually at about the seven inch mark. :yes:

jkress
11-27-2010, 10:22 PM
Great silver Angel... plus a couple of nice rings too. :clapping:

27 WLHs... :drool: Simply amazing.

Interesting to hear about the smaller coil. One is on my list for next year, just not sure if the 5 or 8 would be best. I have detected two spots this year that I really believe a small coil would be the correct tool. These spots have 120 years of metal drops condensed into a very small area. I know there are some great keepers hiding within the layers. Just a little too much for the pro-coil... a smaller search window would definitely help.

Anyway, :loveit: the WLH, she's a beauty.

Epi-hunter
11-27-2010, 10:23 PM
That is a beautiful half Angel :shocked04: But even more so, I love those rings, especially the swimmer ring. Very nice!

Glad you finally had a chance to test the SunRay X5. :)

catskillcomics
11-28-2010, 06:41 AM
Great Hunt Angel.. thumbsup01 yep it certainly has been chilly.. time to layer up

Diggler
11-28-2010, 08:44 AM
Very nice finds. Again! Especially like the Zombie ring. Reminds me of a reanimated corpse coming up out of the ground to swallow my soul :twirlingeyes:

bmattioli
11-28-2010, 09:33 AM
Nice hunt and you've had quite the year.. I run your settings on my E-Trac and have done pretty good since I re-purchased one in October..

pulltabsteve
11-28-2010, 05:44 PM
Nice hunt! Silver is aways good. Cool rings too :clapping:

CyberSage
11-28-2010, 06:12 PM
That's a beautiful Half Angel. Congratulations. Very interesting swimming man ring. That almost looks like a custom job. Good to see you are still getting out. Thanks for sharing

SeabeeRon
11-29-2010, 04:20 PM
More beautiful finds Angel!! :loveit: :drool: Sure have enjoyed taking part in your hunts this year through this forum!! :peace: