PDA

View Full Version : Big Honking Gold! UPDATE

BillZ
10-16-2010, 07:21 PM
I know this isn't a coin find but I was coin shooting when I found it and had to share.

Yesterday was the wife's Birthday and we celebrated it this morning by detecting a park we hadn't been to yet. It had a stream and an old stone bridge that looked promising but others must have hit it already because there was nothing to be found but pennies. I checked the tot lot and found several more pennies, a couple of dimes, one nickle and a quarter.

Nevertheless, the weather was beautiful and I knew that when we got home the present that I ordered for my wife would have arrived. It was a Garrett Pro-Pointer and she was pleased as punch when she opened the package.

Of course we had to go out again so she could try it out so we went to our usual spot in the nearby woods where we find wheaties and the occasional silver coin. She used the pointer on a few wheatie finds and an old nickle. I also found 4 wheaties and an old nickle.

After a few hours we were getting tired and it was starting to get dark. I got a signal bouncing around 15, 19, 21...cool, I thought to myself. Another nickle. What came out of the ground however, was not a nickle. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. A large, thick, gold mens bracelet was in the hole!

I called my wife over, You're not going to believe what I just found! I still had doubts that it was real but we looked at it and it says Italy, 14K, and it's heavy and shiny!

After looking at it for a few minutes, I nervously put the bracelet in my pocket and began to hunt some more. I soon got another signal in the nickle range. This has got to be a nickle I thought to myself. Nope, something shiny and gold again!
This time it was an old Girl Scout pin. After doing some research, It may actually be 10K!

Here are some pics of the bracelet. It weighs 39 grams and it is almost 8 1/2 long. I have no idea how it got to be in the woods. It is clearly not as old as most of the stuff we normally find in that location.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii112/BillZBub68/IMG_2062.jpg

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii112/BillZBub68/IMG_2063.jpg

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii112/BillZBub68/IMG_2060.jpg

Here is the Girl Scout pin:

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii112/BillZBub68/IMG_2061.jpg

coinnut
10-16-2010, 09:10 PM
Holy Moly lol 2 gold finds :clapping: I see the bracelet already has a home lol I'd check that lobster clasp and make sure it doesn't stick open a bit. (Probably how it got lost). That girl scout pin must have been a good one to be given out as GOLD!! Like a lifetime member or something lol Super hunt. I bet everyone starts digging them nickel signals from now on ;)

Jason in Enid
10-16-2010, 09:16 PM
Awesome finds!!! :cheering: I would have doing the happy dance the rest of the day, and maybe the month. <: :happydance01:

zrickkid
10-16-2010, 10:55 PM
Great job. I always dig the nickel signals, they are my favorite coins to find for some reason :angelic:

hockeyguy
10-18-2010, 06:21 AM
Your my hero...congrats!

RobW
10-18-2010, 07:36 AM
Those are som GGGGRRREAT finds!

Epi-hunter
10-18-2010, 08:17 AM
Beautiful gold finds!!!

I think it's great too that you and your spouse both enjoy the hobby! :yes:

leslie(nova scotia)
10-21-2010, 07:55 PM
From the land of the Bluenose.....wowzer me bouy that makes for a gud day in anyone's book! Congrats youz.

jkress
10-21-2010, 11:08 PM
:shocked04: <:

Now that is nice looking gold!!

Every time I dig a hole in the gold range... I'm hoping for something just like that.

That is a beauty Bill.

A big congrats.

Cheap Thrills
10-21-2010, 11:58 PM
That's the way to find gold , nice . thumbsup01 thumbsup01

rsarge1
10-22-2010, 07:54 AM
nice .

angellionel
10-22-2010, 02:18 PM
That is one hefty piece of gold! :shocked04: Absolutely great find, Bill! :clapping:

tanacat
10-22-2010, 03:27 PM
Big time congrats :clapping: and what a great birthday for her! If she's not already using- you can just about buy her a V3i lol Btw I love my Garret's propointer. Much better than Bullseye pinpointer (but I have one for backup)

BillZ
11-16-2010, 08:04 PM
UPDATE:
I just had the bracelet appraised at a local jeweler that is well respected and has been in business for over 50 years. They told me replacement value is $4,250.00! <:

:thinkingabout: Now I just need to find someone that wants a good deal on a gold bracelet.

Epi-hunter
11-16-2010, 08:13 PM
UPDATE:
I just had the bracelet appraised at a local jeweler that is well respected and has been in business for over 50 years. They told me replacement value is $4,250.00! <:

:thinkingabout: Now I just need to find someone that wants a good deal on a gold bracelet.

:shocked04: :shocked04: :shocked04:

That is incredible! Congratulations :cheering:

BHNugget
11-16-2010, 10:13 PM
That is one sweet chain!!! thumbsup01