PDA

View Full Version : My first Barber dime

kenfen
10-09-2010, 06:06 PM
I took a short drive over to Druid Hill Park and went to a spot that I had found a wheat at with the DFX. Low and behold what comes up! No offense, but I traveled this ground with the DFX.... The E-Trac does it again. Another first! She's a beauty, hardly any wear on her.

Regards, Ken

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a85/Kenfen/1912BarberDime.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a85/Kenfen/1912BarberDimeR.jpg

angellionel
10-09-2010, 08:53 PM
Sweet Barber dime, Ken. :happydance01: Nice condition too. :yes:

coinnut
10-09-2010, 08:55 PM
She is in nice shape Ken :shocked04: Barely any wear on her. Probably an XF coin. How deep was she and was there any junk around her?? Hey, what can I say, I'm nosey lol Great Barber. Congrats on your first, but not your last :beerbuddy: Nice pics by the way, what are you using to photograph with?? Told you I was nosey :cheesysmile:

jkress
10-09-2010, 09:15 PM
Super Barber Ken! :peace:

I bet that was exciting when you pulled it from the hole.

I am sure that you and your new machine will be pulling similar coins in the near future.

Congrats.

kenfen
10-10-2010, 07:50 AM
Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Angel, you were right, there's a ton of old sites here in Baltimore. They couldn't have gotten all the silver. The E-Trac was a good move though. I can really tell the difference. So much of the operation is automatic and that leaves me with more brain power to survey the sites and try to recreate in my mind where people were in the past and now where the goods may be.

CN, no problem. I love to share. The dime was only about 6 inches down, but it was near a big root. So hearing it was easy, but getting that baby out was a pain. In the parks, I don't like to excavate too much, but this was near a group of trees and the grass was sparse, so the Raptor was put to work! This is an area of the park that is in front of the Mansion, which now is run by the Zoo. The entire park is 750+ acres.... uh, I'll be at it awhile. I have a digital camera, Panasonic, Lumix, that I bought when I was doing Real Estate to take photos of houses. It has a Macro mode on it and I've finally learned how to get a decent photo of the coins with it.

jKress, I was elated! It was getting pretty frustrating at my usual site. After finding the dime, I combed the area again, and came up with another wheat, 1944, the rest clad. I was excited and I really love the way silver comes out nice and pretty. The coins we have today just suck. They all look like they've been in the ground for a thousand years.

I was really happy to be out on a great fall day with perfect soil conditions and no one near me. This is my new home. It's less than ten minutes from my house.

Kind Regards, Ken

Ill Digger
10-10-2010, 04:24 PM
Boy she sure is in great shape :yes:
My first Barber dime was really worn smooth and flat .
Congrats on your first :clapping: :grin:

randy
10-10-2010, 04:42 PM
Congrats, that's a nice one thumbsup01 I think you are going to love that E-Trac :smitten:

Epi-hunter
10-10-2010, 05:11 PM
Absolutely beautiful barber dime! Congrats :)

coinnut
10-10-2010, 05:12 PM
The entire park is 750+ acres....

This is my new home. It's less than ten minutes from my house.

:shocked04: Wow, what a lucky dog you are. :yes: An E Trac and a huge old park just about right next door. lol I would definetly be a park guy with that set up.

RobW
10-12-2010, 09:58 AM
Congrats! Love them Berbers!

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-12-2010, 09:06 PM
congrats! many more to come i'm sure! :yes:

dave in iowa
10-13-2010, 03:28 PM
great barber , i will never forget my 1st one , good hunting

tanacat
10-13-2010, 04:24 PM
Very, very nice :beerbuddy: Congrats! I'm still looking for mine....

I was thinking you have a great camera too :yes:

Cheap Thrills
10-14-2010, 01:01 PM
Congrats on your first Barber dime and your Etrac . thumbsup01

del
10-14-2010, 01:43 PM
hey congrats on your first barber Ken :cheering: :clapping: :cheering:, i hear once you get that first one out of the way the rest seem a little easier to find .heres to you finding a few more sir. :beerbuddy: