PDA

View Full Version : Corn field largie!

Beefcake
10-07-2010, 06:30 PM
My buddy Tim and I went to our corn field of dreams... It is a bit painstaking, but we are usually rewarded at this site. I forgot to bring my camera into the field with me, but Tim had his so I'm gonna show his footage. Looks to be an 1840 Large Cent. Here's the vid and pics...
OCTOBER 6, 2010 A SHORT HUNT WITH BRIAN.wmv (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r3EtI8R3Ho&feature=player_embedded#)

catskillcomics
10-07-2010, 06:33 PM
Great Job Beefcake, and Kudo's to you.. I don't know how well I would do in a cornfield, listening to either nothingness , or iron all day... but as you proved.. persistance has its rewards :beerbuddy:

coinnut
10-07-2010, 07:59 PM
Hey, great copper Brian. The farm fields are usually rough on coppers. For me coppers on edge usually read around 12-46 briefly, and jump to 05-46 or 01-40, depending on the angle. That field has produced a number of good finds. It only takes one signal to make a good day :happydance01:

del
10-07-2010, 08:15 PM
very nice Brian , congrats on the large cent :clapping:

Epi-hunter
10-07-2010, 08:22 PM
Congrats Brian on the large copper!

I haven't detected a cornfield yet (being from Iowa, that is a sin :) ) but you just proved there is great potential!

Beefcake
10-07-2010, 08:55 PM
Well Angie, not all cornfields are made the same... This one is particularly special. It contained a town that existed in the early 1800's and lasted nearly a hundred years. All gone and nothing but some remaining cellar holes across the road and a bean and corn field. We have yet to get into the bean field which held most of the houses. The site we are hunting was the business district. Beans should be off in a week or so. The site has produced 7 or 8 LC's, a capped bust 1/2 dime and dime, many indians, barbers, all the way up to standing liberties... There hasn't been any Seated coins come out of it yet. One of the coolest things was a political token from 1860 for the Democratic VP running against Lincoln. The corn is due to be chopped soon too, so that will open up alot more ground to hunt too. There is roughly 4 streets worth of housing, plus business district in an area of about 200 acres.

Epi-hunter
10-07-2010, 09:27 PM
Well Angie, not all cornfields are made the same... This one is particularly special. It contained a town that existed in the early 1800's and lasted nearly a hundred years. All gone and nothing but some remaining cellar holes across the road and a bean and corn field. We have yet to get into the bean field which held most of the houses. The site we are hunting was the business district. Beans should be off in a week or so. The site has produced 7 or 8 LC's, a capped bust 1/2 dime and dime, many indians, barbers, all the way up to standing liberties... There hasn't been any Seated coins come out of it yet. One of the coolest things was a political token from 1860 for the Democratic VP running against Lincoln. The corn is due to be chopped soon too, so that will open up alot more ground to hunt too. There is roughly 4 streets worth of housing, plus business district in an area of about 200 acres.

That is a great site!!!

Before I moved from Iowa, the land just adjacent to my house was the site of an old town, complete with a hotel, post office, businesses, etc. Now a cornfield. I was not able to get permission to detect it. :crying02: It was literally the border property from where I lived then.

CyberSage
10-07-2010, 10:08 PM
Hey Beef! That large Cent is the DOPE! rofl

milco
10-08-2010, 07:21 AM
Nice LC! Sounds like a great site, congrats!

jkress
10-08-2010, 08:15 AM
Score!! Very nice LC Beefcake. :clapping:

Glad to see you are getting back there to detect.... sounds like an incredible place to hunt. Great job on the research to find the place.

Hope there is plenty more treasures to recover from there.

RobW
10-08-2010, 09:10 AM
Nice find!!!