PDA

View Full Version : Some top finds from yesterday - over the moon

BTV Digger
04-15-2024, 10:57 AM
Hi all,

Thought I'd quickly share 3 top finds from yesterday at a historical tavern site in northeastern VT which has produced some amazing finds for my friends and I over the past 2 years. This site is not on any map, and I've posted some other finds of mine from this location on the forum here during that time. Yesterday we went back - there's always some goodies still lurking there despite 99% of the clean mid/high tones gone at this point. To my amazement while going extra slow in the thick iron, I dug not one, but two USA continental army buttons from the Rev. War. The great thing is, this site was the home/tavern of a Rev. War veteran and very influential early Vermonter from Scotland. So while one can never truly know with dug items like these, I'm 99% positive these were his buttons which add a great degree of provenance to these items.

To top it off, while I've found numerous Reales in varying denominations over the years, I dug only my second true half pistareen/1 Reale near the buttons! It's dated 1738 with a Seville, Spain mint mark - so over the moon with that find also. It also has two etch marks on the face, so not sure what that was about. I can use my imagination and say these are two crossed swords, but who knows! I also dug 4 coppers and about 6 or 7 other plain tombac/flat buttons, but those pale in comparison to the finds shown here so I'm not bothering to show those. Thanks so much for looking!

John

fyrffytr1
04-15-2024, 09:58 PM
I can only dream of finding those relics down here. Thanks for sharing.

Digger_O'Dell
04-15-2024, 10:59 PM
Certainly some noteworthy finds, especially the buttons assuming you can show provenance. That Reale is pretty cool too with the marks in it. Still hoping to find one some day... ;) Probably have to wait until I retire and can get to the Treasure Coast during or immediately after a hurricane.

MD4V.org
04-16-2024, 01:48 AM
Congratulations!

del
04-16-2024, 05:02 AM
Great historical finds John , a site like that would be used to try out new detector technology if it were mine . huge congrats and thanks for sharing with us .

Dan

Tony Two-Cent
04-16-2024, 09:39 AM
Two buttons of the utmost historical significance and a silver coin that is soon to be 300 years old! I would be over the moon too! :yes:

I like the markings on the One Real, they give it character and they pique my curiosty about their meaning.

:congrats:

Lodge Scent
04-16-2024, 06:02 PM
Not one, but two! WOW! WOW!

I dug one about 10 years ago John. It was flakey in some places. Sprayed it good with my wife's best hair spray and it is still holding up fine.

Digger_O'Dell
04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Not one, but two! WOW! WOW!

I dug one about 10 years ago John. It was flakey in some places. Sprayed it good with my wife's best hair spray and it is still holding up fine.

Sorry, but this just has to be asked after holding up for 10 years-you mean the button or the wife's hair? :rofl:

Lodge Scent
04-18-2024, 03:25 PM
Sorry, but this just has to be asked after holding up for 10 years-you mean the button or the wife's hair? :rofl:

Fair question Digger. My wife changes her hair style once a week so I have no way of knowing if the hairspray would last 10 years on her like it does on the button. ;)

Digger_O'Dell
04-18-2024, 04:07 PM
Fair question Digger. My wife changes her hair style once a week so I have no way of knowing if the hairspray would last 10 years on her like it does on the button. ;)

:shocked03::rofl:

Bucknut
04-19-2024, 08:08 AM
Those are amazing finds!!

Full Metal Digger
04-19-2024, 02:28 PM
Awesome finds, John!! Congratulations.

The Rebel
04-19-2024, 06:22 PM
Those are finds of a lifetime!

owena1
04-20-2024, 09:09 AM