PDA

View Full Version : Just a couple pics from my recent trip to Germany.

Full Metal Digger
05-03-2022, 03:10 PM
Wow, what a week I had! Good German Beer, good German Food, laughter till midnight with the guys, and detecting all day in ancient forests! I brought back over 10 pounds of iron relics dating to Roman and Medieval times. So much electrolysis to do! Here is a couple pics but it is just a sample.

Tony Two-Cent
05-03-2022, 06:23 PM
He’s done it again! :thumbsup01:

What an incredible pile of treasure, Dave! Wow! So many great finds that I don’t even know where to start! Is the second item a fibula? And that button looks ancient!

I am so jealous!

:perfect10:

What is the silver Roman looking coin?

The Rebel
05-03-2022, 06:45 PM
Wow beautiful finds. How was it getting thru customs with your finds?

Bucknut
05-03-2022, 06:47 PM
Just a sample!!!??? Thanks for not overloading us because many of us can’t handle the envy! That spearpoint is pretty cool!

Full Metal Digger
05-03-2022, 09:01 PM

Is the second item a fibula?
Yes, found at the site where I found the Roman silver ring last year!

And that button looks ancient!
It's actually a black tombac (my personal favorite type of button) dating to late 1600's or early 1700's

What is the silver Roman looking coin?
That is a Celtic silver coin 150 to 50 B.C. from the Vindeliker tribe.

Wow beautiful finds. How was it getting thru customs with your finds?
I was actually a bit nervous with all that ancient hardware in my checked baggage!

That spearpoint is pretty cool!
Thanks! Wait till I show you some of the other stuff! LOL

OxShoeDrew
05-04-2022, 07:44 AM
You went back just for a vacation? That's an amazing week you had, Dave! What's 12? I'm missing something?

Menzl
05-04-2022, 08:47 AM
Great finds! Especially the quinar of the Vindelici (type Schönaich is good. Celtic coins are the supreme discipline with us. So you have found a very good place. I hope you had a nice time and didn't get scared of the gas prices.

Full Metal Digger
05-04-2022, 02:17 PM
You went back just for a vacation? That's an amazing week you had, Dave! What's 12? I'm missing something?

Drew, when I posted my group reply the forum glitched and kept telling me I needed to enter at least 2 characters. After about the 10th try to reply I just typed 12 to see if it worked and it did!

Full Metal Digger
05-04-2022, 02:21 PM
Great finds! Especially the quinar of the Vindelici (type Schönaich is good. Celtic coins are the supreme discipline with us. So you have found a very good place. I hope you had a nice time and didn't get scared of the gas prices.
Thanks very much! You really know your celtic coins too. The gas was terrible. More than 100 euros to fill up the car! I'm having trouble understanding the translation of "Schönaich." Is it a type of coin or just a word used to describe a pretty coin? Danke mein freund!

Menzl
05-05-2022, 01:19 AM
Schönaich is a village in Baden Württemberg. Since this coin was described there for the first time and was common, it was called "Schönaich type" to distinguish it. There is also ,,Type Nauheim,, ,,Type Manching,, Type Prague,, (my favorite) etc. The coin dates to the 1st century bc.

The Celtic coin of you is a kind of imitation of coins of the tribe of ,,Volca Tectosages,,. They, in turn, took the coin design from drachms of the Hellenistic settlement of Rhoda in Spain. The further to the east the more abstract the coin image became. One side shows the goddess Ceres and the cross was originally the so-called "Rose of Rhoda". This was then dissolved further and further until only a cross remained. I hope I could express myself reasonably.;)

OxShoeDrew
05-06-2022, 09:43 AM
Menzi is such a wonderful contributor!

wisconsin digger
05-07-2022, 08:35 PM
Great finds, Thx for posting as the pictures were phenomenal. WD

Digger Don
05-08-2022, 09:02 AM
You had a great trip. I bet it was hard to pack up and head home.
Congrats on all the very cool finds Dave.
Now, lets get together before you forget what a merc sounds like:lol:

badgers325
05-10-2022, 12:07 PM
Really awesome finds! Thanks for sharing.