PDA

View Full Version : A nice surprise

wisconsin digger
03-22-2022, 06:43 PM
Wisconsin weather has turned again and is cold, windy and drizzly but still detectable. I was planning a closer hunt but changed my mind in route to an even closer hunt (about 7 miles away). Usually little to no chance of silver here but it does pop up once in a while. Started with all clad and decided to hunt the baseball field near the outfield fence. Was quite fortunate to find a Rosie on the inside of the fence and a Mercury just outside of the fence. Figured that was as good as it could get and headed back to my car across the baseball field. I dug a signal that usually turns out to be a wheatie but when I dug it I saw a bigger silver disc. It was smooth so I figured it was one of those electrical box knockouts. I flipped it over and saw a Mercury stuck to the back and so I looked closer at the bigger disc. It is my new "most worn" Barber quarter (1895), what a pleasant surprise. Can't do much better than that luck on a crappy weather day. Wisconsin Digger Lost my Camera and the backup does not want to focus very well but you can make out the Barber.

Bucknut
03-23-2022, 05:58 AM
Heck of a hunt! 1800s silver is awesome.

Digger_O'Dell
03-23-2022, 06:24 AM
That's a pretty nice surprise for sure! Being that it was in the middle of a baseball field makes me wonder if it was fill dirt from somewhere else? I've run across that a couple times finding things that certainly didn't belong where they were found but likely had been transported in with dirt from somewhere else.

OxShoeDrew
03-23-2022, 07:26 AM
Congrats on the old silver! Not many old quarters around. Keep it up!

badgers325
03-28-2022, 09:13 AM
Man, I don't get on the forum for a week and WD is "money" with the finds. Congrats to you sir!