PDA

View Full Version : Barber Quarter

Tony Two-Cent
09-27-2021, 08:42 AM
I drove to a small town with my dad on Saturday, and after we had a nice lunch together we drove around looking for a place to detect. We tried the city park but decided that it must not be a very old park. A conversation with a local resident confirmed this later.

I finally decided to try a grassy strip between the town's main street and the railroad tracks. As you may recall I've had success at such sites before, but the coins often come out of the ground tarnished due to the sulfurous smoke and ash produced by the steam engines back in the day. (I assume that's what causes it.)

Within five minutes of detecting in this grassy area I got a nice, deep high tone that ended up being a 1902 Barber Quarter. A find like that will get you excited about a site. After about an hour I had found an 1887 Indian Head Cent, a 1917 Mercury Dime and 2 Wheat Cents. Unfortunately we had to leave because I had to go to my grandson's football game. I only got to cover a small fraction of the area.

A return trip to this site is definitely on the agenda. My detecting time has been very limited this year and I hope to make up for that this fall.

Bucknut
09-27-2021, 02:07 PM
Totally agree that a Barber Quarter will get you excited about a site! Well done.

Cheap Thrills
09-27-2021, 02:54 PM
Congratulations on discovering a new site that looks like a winner . Great finds and picture .

Full Metal Digger
09-27-2021, 05:12 PM
Well done Tony! I agree about the soot from the coal tarnishing the silver too. Hopefully I'll be swinging in the next few weeks.

Jeff (or)
09-27-2021, 05:46 PM
sweet looking barber, can't wait to see what you find on the next hunt.
Jeff

The Rebel
09-27-2021, 06:18 PM
Nicely done Tony. Gotta love silver in the hole.

wisconsin digger
09-27-2021, 08:13 PM
Congrats on the great finds. The quarter has a lot of detail. Nice job finding the new site. We are getting into my favorite time of the year to hunt. Good luck on that site. WD

Digger_O'Dell
09-28-2021, 05:34 PM
Great finds, and that quarter sure does give one hope that there's still a lot to find yet! I know what you mean about those little strips too. Town I lived in was heavily hunted and not even a pull tab to be found in any park. But I noticed the one little strip between the RR and a very short side street. Sure enough, pulled up a bunch of old Canadian LCs and US coins, plus several tokens. Gotta be on the lookout for those little hidden gems!

Digger Don
09-29-2021, 07:47 AM
Nice looking Barber Quarter Tony! I remember a few years back you hunted a similar spot, you pulled several stained quarters out of there too.
Good luck on your return visit!