PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Skunking

OxShoeDrew
04-04-2020, 04:35 PM
Hi Fellow Quarantiners/Hunters,

WARNING, this might just be the ramblings of a holed up Nutmegger...

My hunts are usually about 90min... and many of my sites are super quiet until that one good hit....so I often get skunked,
I have the luxury of being able to hunt on most days (when not moving like I did a some weeks ago), so even if I take 4 or 5 skunkings in a row, that 4th or 5th hunt might produce a draped bust half cent or colonial shoe buckle. Today I went out for a bit longer than usual...I'd guess 2.5 hrs or so...I tend to go longer if I'm working a skunking. Btw, this permission is 17min away... How far do you go for short hunts?

I did get skunked... a small shankless flat button, a memorial penny :shocked03:, and a pocket full of cut copper pieces is all I found... but had a good time and got some exercise. Some hunts I get more exercise then others. Today was hilly and fast swinging. Some sites, like trashy parks are slow swing, flat, and no exercise.

I found a good looking large deer rack...then a few minutes and 50 yards away, found another. I don't know if they're from the same animal.

That stone wall was impressive for its height! It was 400 yrds away from the old homestead too, which is a long way away for such a tall wall. Sadly, most of the area inside that four acre pen had its topsoil drained away exposing thousands of rocks. I never find things in washed away fields.
Most walled in areas in New England are 4 acres bc thats as far as anyone wanted to walk as they picked stones out of the field and put them on the wall.

I'd like to hear about your skunking ratios and any hunting info you'd like to share. Thanks!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-WN7jkvlwn2c/Xoijq8L53VI/AAAAAAAAf6I/XkLott19McwudrVP0IwUAykcv27n8rhWACK8BGAsYHg/s0/2020-04-04.jpghttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-nUp-cyv-t6M/XoikNe2mpxI/AAAAAAAAf6U/Yl5DqxHHyAwxGLGOyT9wLAe6GXTj6FfLACK8BGAsYHg/s512/2020-04-04.jpg

Full Metal Digger
04-04-2020, 04:38 PM
I see some nice antlers in the pic! That's a great day in my book. The skunking doesn't bother me. It's more about the chance to unwind and forget my troubles for a while. Great post. Best wishes and happy digging, Dave.

Lodge Scent
04-04-2020, 09:45 PM
Finding two nice antlers is not a skunking Drew. That is a tall wall !

Skunkings.....not uncommon. All of my favorite spots are pretty worn out. I have to pound the iron hard to shake anything loose. But I like the challenge and I just like hiking out to some of these sites.

Funny, I went to one such site today. I have never seen any one walking in those woods until today. It's a real crappy trail but there was a couple walking down it. Covid is getting people out to enjoy nature. I did not get skunked today. I managed to find a big horse buckle.

aloldstuff
04-05-2020, 07:35 AM
SKUNKINGS.....Don't really bother me. As long as I had the opportunity to try..:thumbsup02:

OxShoeDrew
04-05-2020, 12:11 PM
Me taking my skunking.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-s97GvpadtRc/XooRB1Rw5JI/AAAAAAAANYE/RIr7Cn8APc0laPvySuWaiabc38reOvstgCK8BGAsYHg/s0/2020-04-05.jpg

aloldstuff
04-05-2020, 03:13 PM
Me taking my skunking.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-s97GvpadtRc/XooRB1Rw5JI/AAAAAAAANYE/RIr7Cn8APc0laPvySuWaiabc38reOvstgCK8BGAsYHg/s0/2020-04-05.jpg
taking it like a man:lol:

Lodge Scent
04-05-2020, 08:21 PM
Who took the picture? The skunk ?

Digger_O'Dell
04-05-2020, 10:16 PM
Depends how one defines a skunking. Many times I'll hit an old site and find nothing but maybe a zincoln. (go figure) Other times hit a more modern site to just unwind and look for pocket change and come up with something like an 1800s suspender buckle. Just today I hit an old street tearout and got nothing but junk until I hit on my only coin which was a toasty 192x wheatie.
Guessing anytime one can get out is not a skunking. For me it's getting to a site and finding it underwater or something like that making it unhuntable.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The Rebel
04-06-2020, 05:49 AM
Hey Drew, nice rack, lol! I'm amazed at how many stone wall are around but it's CT and well we grow the best stones.

OxShoeDrew
04-06-2020, 07:20 AM
Thanks, Guys! Mrs OxShoe took the pic, if you recall she's into mushrooming. There were a few out there. Between you and me (and the 100 or so to read this :lol:), I kinda knew I'd post a skunking as I took her to a site where I thought she'd find a mushroom, I didn't expect any finds for myself.

Tony Two-Cent
04-06-2020, 10:03 AM
Sounds like a pleasant adventure to me! :yes:

The flat button is probably older than anything we can find here in Illinois.

wisconsin digger
04-16-2020, 10:04 PM
Pretty sure not the same deer but great finds for sure. Making lemonade out of Lemons. WD