PDA

View Full Version : My October Finds in Germany (pic heavy)

Full Metal Digger
11-03-2018, 12:00 PM
Hi Diggers,
Between work and family I'm only able to get out for a couple hours on Sunday mornings. Luckily the weather has been warmer than normal this month. I found a good array of relics and coins ranging from about 200 A.D. up to the mid 20th century. Here is some pics. I hope you enjoy looking at them as much as I enjoyed digging them up! Best wishes and happy hunting to all, Dave.

Fire Fighter 43
11-03-2018, 01:08 PM
Amazing finds as usual Dave! I’m so damm jealous, WTG.

Digger_O'Dell
11-03-2018, 08:12 PM
I agree, fabulous finds! What's with that 1924 coin, looks gold?

wisconsin digger
11-03-2018, 09:35 PM
Great post, Thx for the photos. You really finds some great stuff. WD

Full Metal Digger
11-04-2018, 11:54 AM
What's with that 1924 coin, looks gold?
Great question! After WW1 Germany was so broke they had no gold or silver reserves to back their currency. The only thing of value they had was the bounty of the land so they issued Renten Pfennigs (renten means mortgage in German) and used the value of the harvest to back the money (hence the wheat ears). The coins are cheap aluminum with a gold colored coating. Most of them I dig up are basically rotted aluminum slugs but every now and then a good one pops up.

Digger Don
11-04-2018, 12:33 PM
A couple of hours a week? Wow Dave.
Congrats on all those amazing finds!!
I'm loven all those amazing buttons that you've been digging!! :envious:

Digger_O'Dell
11-04-2018, 12:36 PM
Great question! After WW1 Germany was so broke they had no gold or silver reserves to back their currency. The only thing of value they had was the bounty of the land so they issued Renten Pfennigs (renten means mortgage in German) and used the value of the harvest to back the money (hence the wheat ears). The coins are cheap aluminum with a gold colored coating. Most of them I dig up are basically rotted aluminum slugs but every now and then a good one pops up.

Thanks, that's some great info. My grandfather who came over from Germany start of the third Reich had some like that, but they didnt have that coloring.

Donnie B
11-05-2018, 10:02 AM
I think you are surrounded by too much history. You need to dig all that stuff up! Great post!

aloldstuff
11-05-2018, 11:35 AM
Your musket ball pile is larger than all of mine(even after all the years). Great finds as usual. Detecting for only a few hours your keepers are amazing.....:envious:

OxShoeDrew
11-05-2018, 08:12 PM
That 1707 caught my eye! But seriously...that's some ridiculous hunting, Dave! There's like four posts here :)
Did you luck out and land in a region where nobody ever heard of metal detectors?

BTV Digger
11-06-2018, 08:31 AM
I'm still ogling over that bronze spur Dave! Your musket ball count nearly exceeds all I've found in the past 3 years here in VT. Nuts.

John

Tony Two-Cent
11-08-2018, 02:24 PM
So many wonderful finds in only one month! There is a history book full of information in those finds, so much to research and learn about. The spur is phenomenal. The 1707 silver coin is spectacular. The buckles and buttons are nice pieces of history as well.

Congrats on the super month, Dave! I can't wait to see what you find next!

:perfect10: