PDA

View Full Version : Multiple hunts, silver and sterling!

Digger_O'Dell
07-02-2017, 06:28 PM
Hi all,
Got out for a full days hunt which was unfortunately plagued by a series of thunderstorms. I had made plans to head towards Illinois, but due to flooding that was cancelled, prompting a seat of the pants hunting day. This included several water hunts, a farm, and the zoo site once again to round out the day.
The first lake I hit was the best. The rest didn't fare much other than some clad. This lake netted a few rings, earrings, and other junk jewelry. The nice part was every signal was a good target, zero trash. The best find was what looks to be a pretty old "flatware" sterling ring.

And here's the rest

The farm didn't give much, but I did find this interesting holes pocket watch lid.

The old zoo was a bit of a surprise. First I started with lots of clad and a money clip. Also found an odd brass piece and a spark plug tapping tool.

I moved to another area and soon hit a wheatie. Then one more. Then I get a deep iffy 12-40, which I almost didn't dig because that number is almost always an aluminum screw cap. Glad I dug it, because in the middle of a bunch of deep rocks I saw shiny, which turned out to be a 1911 Barber dime. This is the oldest coin, much less silver, that I've dug at this site. Great way to end the day!

Thanks for reading, GL&HH!

Full Metal Digger
07-02-2017, 06:44 PM
Congratulations on the good finds. It's always good to have a backup plan! Don't worry, you'll be in those Illinois rivers soon enough! HH Dave.

aloldstuff
07-02-2017, 06:55 PM
D.O.D., that Barber sure proves that the zoo has some old stuff. Were you able to get dates off the wheat's?

:congrats: on that old silver.

Digger_O'Dell
07-02-2017, 07:10 PM
D.O.D., that Barber sure proves that the zoo has some old stuff. Were you able to get dates off the wheat's?

:congrats: on that old silver.

One wheat was a 1941, the other a 1944D.

Digger_O'Dell
07-02-2017, 07:39 PM
Congratulations on the good finds. It's always good to have a backup plan! Don't worry, you'll be in those Illinois rivers soon enough! HH Dave.

Yes, looking forward to it. But every time I make plans it floods! Lol
Either way, figure I drove about 200 miles today making the rounds.

OxShoeDrew
07-03-2017, 04:46 AM
Do you have a rain cover for your minelab or use the ctx? One cool thing about the ctx or ATpro is never worrying about the weather. I guess I'd still worry about thunder storms :badday:
Nice job on the finds...sweet old dime!

Ill Digger
07-03-2017, 06:29 AM
Looks like your starting to get through the layers of new junk and finally getting down to the deeper and older finds:clapping:
Congrats! :grin:

Bucknut
07-03-2017, 10:14 AM
Congrats on some old silver

Digger_O'Dell
07-03-2017, 01:35 PM
Do you have a rain cover for your minelab or use the ctx? One cool thing about the ctx or ATpro is never worrying about the weather. I guess I'd still worry about thunder storms :badday:
Nice job on the finds...sweet old dime!

Lots of lightning, so I worried about being the highest point on the water, especially holding a big stainless scoop. Besides, using waders is nice, but it doesn't keep the rain from filling them.
On the other hand, in parks I use the wireless module and my good headphones which neither are waterproof.

wisconsin digger
07-03-2017, 01:39 PM
Congrats on the Barber and the rest of your finds. Nice hunts. WD

MangoAve
07-05-2017, 01:54 PM
Grats on the Silver, Chris. Sounds like you made the best of plans falling through. At least you could find one site without any trash....Where Is that? :hystericallaugh:

Lodge Scent
07-05-2017, 04:25 PM
Nice digs. I like that pocket watch cover. My theory on the holes is that something heavy like a 3,000 lb ox stepped on it or a tractor ran over it and smashed it down. The holes are from the jewel or gear posts poking through the cover when it got squashed. Or someone with too much time on their hands took a nail to it.

Digger_O'Dell
07-05-2017, 05:12 PM
I'm guessing nail holes, since they are square. That would fit the time frame.

Digger Don
07-05-2017, 07:08 PM
Congrats on some nice old silver. Those 1911 Barbers have been popping up alot lately!
Great Job!!