PDA

View Full Version : Barbers and SLQ! Old silver!

Bucknut
12-27-2016, 10:11 AM
I have had so many memorable hunts this year and yesterday I had another one! I decided to visit the place where my friend and I found the Morgan and the Seated Quarter at about 7 weeks ago. We have had about 10 inches of snow on the ground the last few weeks but over the last few days and especially yesterday the with the warm temps and winds the snow melted away. Work was also slow so I skipped out to my new favorite place with the hopes of one last great hunt for 2016.

I arrived at the spot and after about 30 minutes I came across a deep silver quarter signal. It turned out to be a smooth SLQ with an S mint mark. I was thrilled! Too bad that the date is gone because most of the S mint SLQ's are semi key dates.

10 minutes later I dug a nice 1916 Barber dime. The next silver I found was the 1916 D Barber Quarter. It was a mixed in with a lot of trash and coal bits. The signal was a 12-42 which is a wheatie signal so I was surprised when I saw the quarter sized coin in my pile. Then about 50 yards away I found a very worn Canadian Queen Victoria dime. I can see 18XX on it but that's about it...thought for a moment I had a seated dime though. Not pictured is a 1908 indian that I found...it is in awful shape...along with 14 Wheaties.

I think this area had piles of coal stored here for the town's people to use for heating their homes back in the day and that is why many of the silvers here are so tarnished with that ugly sulfide residue. But these are not as bad off as the Seated Quarter I found earlier.

I think this is my last hunt here until the spring...although I bet I could skip out again later this week when the temps get back into the mid 30's. Hmmm tempting. My friend wants to come back up here in the spring for 3 days of detecting so if I do not get back out these finds will keep me warm all winter long.

Thanks for looking!
Jared

wisconsin digger
12-27-2016, 12:20 PM
Wow, its great you could still get out. Great finds, and if that indeed was your last hunt it sure was a nice one. WD

OxShoeDrew
12-27-2016, 12:37 PM
Now that is a serious haul, Jared! :shocked03: Congratulations!

Digger Don
12-27-2016, 02:07 PM
Wow, what a great way to end the season :congrats:

groundhog53946
12-27-2016, 02:18 PM
Wow! Very nice hunt to end the year!

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Digger_O'Dell
12-27-2016, 02:31 PM
Very nice set of finds! Hard to believe your Wheaties are a 12-42. On my CTX they usually show around 12-38 or so. For some reason the Barber quarters I found also read low. :dontknow: Just wondering how you dug through the frozen tundra though. The field I found the fatty and other early indians has finally been picked and I'm dying to hit it but the ground here is just a frozen block of mud.

Bucknut
12-27-2016, 03:11 PM
Very nice set of finds! Hard to believe your Wheaties are a 12-42. On my CTX they usually show around 12-38 or so. For some reason the Barber quarters I found also read low. :dontknow: Just wondering how you dug through the frozen tundra though. The field I found the fatty and other early indians has finally been picked and I'm dying to hit it but the ground here is just a frozen block of mud.

The ground here is NOT frozen. The snow we had earlier in the month made a great insulating blanket to keep the ground from freezing even though temps for a few days hovered around 0 degrees. I think that the Etrac always shows numbers just a touch higher than what the CTX shows on similar targets. Then you have to also remember that the older warn silvers tend to ring up lower than the less worn ones.

Digger_O'Dell
12-27-2016, 03:45 PM
Lucky you! Here it rained hard and soaked the dirt. Then it dropped to around -15

Tony Two-Cent
12-28-2016, 10:50 AM
I'm glad that your snow melted enough that you could find such wonderful old coins! Those would make anyone's day! :clapping:

:congrats:

The Rebel
12-28-2016, 02:04 PM
Nice pile of silver!

aloldstuff
12-29-2016, 07:31 AM
Fantastic last hunt. Glad to see that you are (were) still able to get out. Thanks for the last of the year eye candy and hope 2017 produces some great coins for you.