PDA

View Full Version : 2016 in review I had a pretty good year

wisconsin digger
12-24-2016, 01:40 PM
Just got done removing 4" of heavy snow from the driveway so I thought it was a good time to take a look at the past year. Had a bit of a strange year in that my wheatie count was down but I still found a lot of silver and older nickels. Also, only found 5 Indians which I thought was a little strange as I found 8 "V" nickels which I usually do not find a lot of. This was my off year for silver halves as I did not find a one but did manage to find 9 clad halves. I did not find a lot of silver quarters but did manage to get the grand slam for the year as I found my 1st Seated quarter in over 40 years which was probably my hi-lite find of the year. This year also brought my 1st and 2nd dated Hi-relief SLQ. The 1st was a 1920 "D" which was pasted to a "V" nickel and the 2nd was an unexpected shallow find that turned out to be a 1924. I managed to hit double digits on Barber dimes with 3 late year finds for a total of 12 Barber Dimes. Also managed to find 3 more Barber Quarters which was a pretty good result as I did not find much in old ground this year. Definitely had a good year on nickels as I found 24 Buffalos and 18 War Nickels which were pretty good totals compared to some other years. As usual, Mercury Dimes lead the way on silver with 66 in total followed by 38 Rosies. I thought I found 1 small gold ring but could not locate it in my ring container. I was not sure if it was silver plated with gold as it rang up a little high for gold. I did have a good year on silver rings with quite a few older silver rings hi-lited by(forgot to add picture) a huge sterling Harley Davidson ring. My unusual coin spill find of the year was 4 $1 dollar coins which helped my clad total reach the $300 mark. I go into next year with few location prospects but only need 24 more silver to hit the 1000 mark since starting back up in 2012. My plan this winter is to pick up an AT Pro and do some river and water hunting. I have never done it so it should be an untapped resource if I can find the right areas. Anyway, I hope everyone had a great year and Happy Holidays to all especially us sitting on frozen Tundra. Be well Wisconsin Digger

del
12-24-2016, 01:46 PM
Wow :shocked03::shocked05: great year WD :notworthy::notworthy: Thanks for sharing your best with us here !!

aloldstuff
12-24-2016, 01:53 PM
Just amazingly impressive. Thanks for sharing and here's hoping that 2017 is just as good.....or better.

Digger Don
12-24-2016, 02:06 PM
:envious::wow::envious::clapping::envious::wow::en vious:
You had an awesome year!! How do you find so many War nickels? I think I found one this year.
Congrats on the boat load of silver you dug. I always enjoy reading your posts, you must be able to smell that silver in the ground.
Thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas to you.
Don

milco
12-24-2016, 05:01 PM
Congrats on some super finds! A great year indeed!

Digger_O'Dell
12-24-2016, 07:02 PM
That's a very impressive year by any standard! I agree it's been an odd year of finds, but maybe it's a Wisconsin thing? In my case mercs far outnumbered rosies, and V nickels outnumbered buffalos. Got 2 seated dimes this year vs only one Barber dime, go figure. Water hunting netted 2 Gold rings that were missed by others in heavily hunted areas along with lots of very old silver and junker rings in the same places. Sites that should have produced old coins did nothing, but old coins popped up in the most unexpected ways. Yep, odd.
Good luck with the AT Pro. It's tough to find good water sites, but those who do can really hit the jackpot.

Bucknut
12-24-2016, 07:35 PM
Congrats WD on a great year! I love all those old quarters!

groundhog53946
12-27-2016, 02:31 PM
Congrats on an outstanding year! I've got a long way to go to reach those kinds of numbers

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

OxShoeDrew
12-31-2016, 06:48 AM
18 war nickels?!! :shocked02::notworthy:
I think I've found one SLQ in my life!!! Impressive year!

wisconsin digger
12-31-2016, 10:14 PM
I think it is a Wisconsin thing as I have found 92 War Nickels in 5 years and in 2013 I found 45 in one year. Alot of our parks started in the 30's and seem to have a lot of nickels. Hope to hit 100 net year. WD