PDA

View Full Version : A Southern Illinois Hunt with Tony Two-Cent

Digger Don
11-20-2016, 05:59 PM
Yesterday, I met up with Tony Two-Cent for a little hunting. We started out at an old school site and found nothing more than a wheatie or two. We decided it was time for a little doorknocking. One of the first house we stopped at was an 1839 home. We got a polite no because the owner said he wanted to detect it someday. That Sucks. 1) I'm sure that property is loaded with old coins and 2) we all know he'll never get around to detecting it. Oh well, onto the next.

We then got permission at an 1850s home. I was first on board with silver, a 1923 Merc. Unfortunately that was my only silver of the day. A couple of minutes later Tony dug a nice Barber dime. at the same house I dug an 1898 Indian and a little penny spill, a 1907 Indian and a 1916-D Wheat.

Although it was pretty much just wheats for me the rest of the day. just as it was getting dark and we were about to call it a day, Tony dug a beautiful 1918 SLQ. What a great way to end a hunt!!!

Tony Two-Cent
11-20-2016, 06:21 PM
It was a fun day, Don! I'm glad we both got some keepers. That 1923 Merc has almost no wear at all. What a beauty!

I really like that toy plane too. I bet it's old.

Pretty funny that you found those Sunday School pins at two different sites.

It was great hunting with you, and thanks again for buying dinner!

:perfect10:

BTV Digger
11-20-2016, 08:33 PM
Well done again Don. That's a nice pile of wheats you have there!

John

wisconsin digger
11-20-2016, 08:58 PM
Great finds Don and remember to make it to 50 Indians this year. That ugly white stuff showed up on my yard Saturday so hurry as time is short. Great Hunt guys WD

Full Metal Digger
11-20-2016, 11:18 PM
Don, a great bunch of finds. The toy airplane is a WW2 era and I wish I could find one! Are you sure the SS pins and the bracelet parts aren't silver? They sure look it in the picture (especially the bracelet parts). Best wishes and HH, Dave.

MangoAve
11-21-2016, 10:04 AM
AS I gathered from Tony's response, those pins are interesting finds. They match each other except for the chuch, and to find at two different spots?? That's crazy. Grats on a really nice merc and that '98 IH.

del
11-24-2016, 12:14 AM
Great little hunt Don , just spending time detecting with Tony is a bucket lister to me !! The plane looks like a British spitfire from the wing design , one of my favorites of that era . Congrats Don

Dan

aloldstuff
11-26-2016, 02:35 PM
Very productive hunt, great pile of wheats and that merc looks fantastic. I would trade everything for that old plane.