PDA

View Full Version : Short Wisconsin Hunt / Modified 2 franks Silver Coin

Digger Don
06-18-2016, 08:05 AM
I went up over the boarder last weekend and hit a couple of houses while i was there.
In the first 45 minutes I dug a Merc and an Indian at an old 1880s house.

Just as I was getting ready to leave, I got a nice high tone. When I dug the target I pulled out this Silver coin that was counter stamped on the back and made into some kind of tag. It had some iron attached to that fell off when I started handling it.
After a little google session, I found that it was an early 1900s 2 Francs Silver coin. ( I guess it counts?)
Either way, still a very cool find.
Anybody have any ideas on what the markings are?

Digger_O'Dell
06-18-2016, 08:40 AM
Nice find! Miller Hansen engineering I believe was a large Wisconsin or Illinois firm. But it's now just Hansen engineering, who do fire protection services out of Lombard Il.

Digger Don
06-18-2016, 08:54 AM
Nice find! Miller Hansen engineering I believe was a large Wisconsin or Illinois firm. But it's now just Hansen engineering, who do fire protection services out of Lombard Il.
Thanks for the info. Thats funny, I found the coin just south of Madison and I live about 8 miles from Lombard.

Full Metal Digger
06-18-2016, 03:37 PM
Millar H Hanson, 1896 - 1988 (https://www.myheritage.com/names/millar_hanson#)

Millar H Hanson was born on October 9 1896.

Millar lived in Milton, Wisconsin 53563, USA.

Millar passed away in April 1988, at age 91.

Bucknut
06-18-2016, 04:13 PM
Heck yeah that counts as a silver coin! Nice work!

Digger_O'Dell
06-18-2016, 05:54 PM
Funny that you come up to wisconsin to hunt, while I'm currently down in Illinois for hunting! :lol:

Digger Don
06-18-2016, 07:30 PM
Funny that you come up to wisconsin to hunt, while I'm currently down in Illinois for hunting! :lol:
I guess we all think the grass is greener across the boarder. LOL
We should get together sometime!!

wisconsin digger
06-18-2016, 10:28 PM
Neat unique piece Don, Great find WD

MangoAve
06-20-2016, 07:23 AM
Nice. That's and interesting find. I was thinking ENGRS was for engravers. Not engineers... without any research. Looks like its been stamped over a few times. Maybe the iron was rivets and it was fastened to some leather for a fob?

Digger Don
07-04-2016, 08:22 AM
Nice. That's and interesting find. I was thinking ENGRS was for engravers. Not engineers... without any research. Looks like its been stamped over a few times. Maybe the iron was rivets and it was fastened to some leather for a fob?Turns out that it is a ww1 home made dog tag. the COD is Company D engineers. We are currently trying to find the family

wisconsin digger
07-04-2016, 08:38 AM
Great find Don, but silver is running low here in Wisconsin don't find to much. Where's your summer place? WD

Digger Don
07-04-2016, 09:08 AM
Great find Don, but silver is running low here in Wisconsin don't find to much. Where's your summer place? WD It's in Newville, near Lake Koshkonong.

Digger_O'Dell
07-04-2016, 12:02 PM
I guess we all think the grass is greener across the boarder. LOL
We should get together sometime!!

Yes, seems to be that way. But this time it actually was for me this time since I managed my first seated-something I couldn't do here in Wi.
But definitely, we should get together. I have no problem travelling.