PDA

View Full Version : 1786 ct copper - flat buttons

aloldstuff
03-30-2016, 01:13 PM
Well its been quite awhile since I've posted. I have been so busy with work, its actually crazy.

Decided to hit my field where I have dug a lot of Ct coppers. All of my other CT coppers have been 1787, now this one is a 1786. It was the second dig of the day and I actually thought it was a button. After about 1/2 hour I took it out to look at it and noticed some lettering. Anybody that has hunted with me knows that I'm as blind as a bat without my glasses so I did not ID it until I got back to my car.

Also managed 3 flat buttons, one with a back mark which says HAYDEN AND CO EXTRA GILT.

I think I got my first bird band and a musket ball.

The last two pictures are the coin with some ren wax on it.

Going to take a stab at id'ing it as a Miller 1-A

Thanks for reading and HH everyone.

Tony Two-Cent
03-30-2016, 01:18 PM
First of all, it's great to see a post from you, Al! We have missed you! :yes:
Secondly, congrats on the Connecticut Copper! It's nice that you got a 1786. What a great find! :perfect10:

:congrats:

del
03-30-2016, 01:51 PM
I agree with Tony , Al it is great to see you post and especially from your Ct. copper field !! :cheering:

Your copper is a Miller 1-A . its the first one they list in order of the 1786 . an easy one to identify , 1. because there are very few right facing busts in the "86" types and 2.yours has an easy "tell" to id it , its known as the "double chin" , yes the bust is in need of some cosmetic surgery :lol: to remove his unsightly facial deformity .:rofl:

Its not a hugely rare type Al but is a scarce variety .

Well done Sir :notworthy:

aloldstuff
03-30-2016, 01:57 PM
Dan, thanks for the Id. Once I looked up the 1786 right facing and saw only 5 I knew I had a good change of id'ing it. It felt really good to get out there and do some swinging.

del
03-30-2016, 02:47 PM
I think its a really interesting variety Al as the legends on the reverse are reversed !!:lol: Most reverses will read "inde et lib" which is the abbreviated Latin for "Independence and Liberty" but your is just the opposite " and Liberty Independence" . A very cool and different type .

Lodge Scent
03-30-2016, 05:00 PM
Very cool find! :congrats:

Digger_O'Dell
03-30-2016, 06:53 PM
Really cool coin! Nice shape too, congrats!

MangoAve
03-31-2016, 07:06 AM
Nice score, Al. Strange how certain places are filled with coppers. Your spot had a bunch pulled. Where I got my Nova, there were something like 13+ coppers pulled from just the orchard section of the property. Lol... u mentioned about the glasses. A few pics came out a little blurry... maybe u need a new cam.

lee
03-31-2016, 07:34 AM
look at you i.d ing coins !! we will have to start calling you del 2 ...

aloldstuff
03-31-2016, 11:00 AM
look at you i.d ing coins !! we will have to start calling you del 2 ...

This one was way to easy......Dan is still the man

The Rebel
03-31-2016, 12:20 PM
WTG on the CT. Love my CT's!