PDA

View Full Version : Hi I'm in Houston and I'm new

Silky T
02-29-2016, 10:52 PM
Being a newbie female--Hi everybody! I need to chat with another female to find out if she goes out alone or always takes a buddy. I have a lot of places I want to check but this day and time, I can see me out minding my own business, then naturally get distracted and some derelick comes along and swipes my detector and runs off. :shocked04: I paid $250 for it and I don't want to have to replace it because I didn't think.

Silky T

del
03-02-2016, 03:26 AM
Hello Silky T , welcome to the forum :waving: . We have a few female hobbyists here including our website owner , hopefully one of them can chime in . I personally prefer to detect with someone for many reasons but mostly to share some of the excitement of making great finds and good laughs . Again welcome and hope to see you post up some cool finds .

Dan

badgers325
03-02-2016, 03:12 PM
Welcome Silky T. I was just in Houston a few weeks back and detected by Sylvan Beach. Like anything in life, be aware and stay safe and if you are not comfortable where you are at, then don't go. I found out that when I get "dialed in" to detecting, I don't look around myself like I should when I am alone.

OxShoeDrew
03-04-2016, 10:29 AM
Yeah, I agree with badgers325, I also get "blinders" on when detecting. I hope you find a partner ...and welcome to the site!

KCFindIt
03-08-2016, 09:21 AM
Hey Silky T, I, too, am female, and while I have thought about the consequences of being accosted, I also remain vigilant about my surroundings, go to "safe" places (if you can say there are any left in this mean world), pack heat, and always have a plan. Most of the places I go, are private owned land, of which I don't have too much to worry about. The public places (parks), generally have maintenance workers on site, and I get to know them pretty early on. It is easy to get "lost" in the hunt. Be careful.
Kasey

Dimeman
03-09-2016, 12:52 PM
Being a newbie female--Hi everybody! I need to chat with another female to find out if she goes out alone or always takes a buddy. I have a lot of places I want to check but this day and time, I can see me out minding my own business, then naturally get distracted and some derelick comes along and swipes my detector and runs off. :shocked04: I paid $250 for it and I don't want to have to replace it because I didn't think.

Silky T
There are quite a few ladies in the Houston area who detect. A very small Houston based forum, Coinshootingonline, posts from many area locals about locations to search, specific rules of areas and general detecting stuff.

Skamaniac
03-10-2016, 10:21 AM
Welcome from the Pacific Northwettest. When I had just started detecting again I was digging away in an old campground with both ears covered with headphones. I happened to look up and some bicycle ninja with an apparent black belt in Bike Kwon Do was not ten feet from me watching me. I opened my mouth to curse or scream but my mind couldn't decide which, so what came out was a noise like an infant spitting up formula his simple minded father mixed (don't ask why I know this). He turned out to be harmless and just wanted to know if I'd found anything. Finally able to form basic words, I said no, and he rode off down the trail, but I learned to keep one ear open and my head on a swivel when I'm detecting. So in summation, just be aware of your surroundings.