PDA

View Full Version : silver button 1700.

Willems
12-16-2015, 04:16 AM
Saturday i found this nice silver 18th century button.
Tot bad it's beaten up so bad.
Send a email to the silversmith if he can restore it.
Keep you updated.
Greetings from hollandia.

Digger_O'Dell
12-16-2015, 05:04 AM
Great find, congrats! :congrats:

That's a very ornate button! I would expect that it likely came from someone who was maybe a wealthy merchant or even minor royalty. Is it possible to research it and maybe get some history? That could be quite an interesting story. Good luck on restoring it-I'm sure any competent silversmith should have no problem with the repairs, it doesn't look too badly damages.

del
12-16-2015, 07:01 AM
:shocked02: wow , i've never seen such a silver "blow hole" type button let alone such a highly ornate one Willems , it is beautiful congrats and i really hope you show us the button when the restoration work is finished on it .

Dan

MangoAve
12-16-2015, 10:21 AM
Wow. That is a nice button despite being bent up. Still something I could say at least most of us would like to find.

wow , i've never seen such a silver "blow hole" type button let alone such a highly ornate one Willems , it is beautiful congrats and i really hope you show us the button when the restoration work is finished on it .

Most of the buttons, independent of type, I think were silver plated. This one looks solid silver...

Willems
12-16-2015, 11:12 AM
Yes its not plated.
Found this just over the border in Germany.
Here we call this a keelknoop.(throatbutton).

Cheap Thrills
12-16-2015, 01:11 PM
Very nice button Willems . That will be a tricky fix as there are both deep folds and a roundness collapse . It will take a very talented silversmith . Best of luck with that and congratulations on another great find .

MIKE54
12-16-2015, 03:59 PM
That is a beautiful button. And old too.

del
12-16-2015, 04:27 PM
Very nice button Willems . That will be a tricky fix as there are both deep folds and a roundness collapse . It will take a very talented silversmith . Best of luck with that and congratulations on another great find .

I wonder if filling it with water then freezing it , would the expanding ice push it up some ??

Full Metal Digger
12-16-2015, 04:55 PM
Wow Willems, that is such a beautiful button (great pictures too). Best wishes on getting it restored. HH, Dave.

Lodge Scent
12-16-2015, 06:20 PM
Superb find! I would be afraid to try and fix it.

Willems
12-25-2015, 04:53 AM
Just got a email from the smid.
He told me that its not worth to restore it.

MI Detectors
12-26-2015, 04:06 PM
Wow.......beautiful find!