PDA

View Full Version : Silver plays hide and seek at church!

Digger_O'Dell
11-13-2015, 08:15 PM
Hi all,
Wow, what a blustery morning to be detecting! It had stormed out much of the night and the temperature dropped right before the sun came out. Once I made it t the church yard just after daylight it had dropped to about 34 degrees and the wind was howling at a steady 40+ MPH! But I decided to give it a shot anyway, and before long I got a strong signal that popped out a plumbing part, and soon after half a lead wheel weight-what the heck??
I was getting cold quick and was thinking about heading home after only 15 minutes when I got a really short high tone. I figured it was just another false signal coming off a nail or other iron that I get a lot of, but as always I check for repeatability in both directions. Sure enough-it was iffy and very feint, and iron on both sides. Almost didn't dig it as it showed a 10" depth and it was so sporadic, but triggered the high tone in every direction. Sure enough, about 10" down and under a really big old rusty nail a first year 1946 Rosie!

Soon after at about the same depth and maybe 2 feet away I pulled up a crusty wheatie. I couldn't get a date off it until after multiple baths in the ultrasonic cleaner, and it turned out to be a pretty nice 1937!

Only stuck around another few minutes more, long enough to dig a clad dime. That's when I decided I was freezing my cajones off and I had better head for home. Tomorrow is another day, and I might hit the old factory site where I used to work.

Cheap Thrills
11-13-2015, 10:06 PM
Nice going Digger you came home with silver !:congrats:I tried for a couple of hours tonight and came home with The agony of Da feet .:lol:

Digger_O'Dell
11-13-2015, 10:38 PM
I tried for a couple of hours tonight and came home with The agony of Da feet .:lol:

That's too funny! Unfortunately I know that one all too well myself! :lol:
Problem today was that with this morning's wind chill is that it was really painful once my fingers got back into the heat, and if it were not for my headphones I think my new Minelab hat would be in the next state!

groundhog53946
11-14-2015, 02:37 AM
Way to stick it out! Congrats on the Rosie and wheatie

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Digger_O'Dell
11-14-2015, 04:29 AM
Way to stick it out! Congrats on the Rosie and wheatie

Thanks! :thumbsup01:

As a side note, after further consideration and putting a few heads together here at work we came to the conclusion that the chromed piece isn't for plumbing, but rather a trim piece and mounting for a power antennae off an old car. :dontknow:

aloldstuff
11-14-2015, 05:35 AM
Fighting the elements paid off....WTG. :congrats:on your silver

relichunterryan
11-14-2015, 12:57 PM
Always dig those signals! Nice finds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wisconsin digger
11-14-2015, 03:11 PM
Good find way to stick with it Chris. WD

OxShoeDrew
11-14-2015, 05:13 PM
At least we're not battling snow yet :shocked03:
Nice, deep finds!

Digger_O'Dell
11-14-2015, 07:43 PM
At least we're not battling snow yet :shocked03:
Nice, deep finds!

No snow yet that has stuck, but last 2 mornings were really cold and ground was starting to freeze today when it dropped to 26 degrees. Brrrrr.....:frozen:

Digger Don
11-15-2015, 07:21 AM
Congrats on the Rosie. That puppy was deep. Nice job hearing past those nails.

Lodge Scent
11-16-2015, 07:54 AM
Always great when you can save a silver from the clutches of the iron junk.