PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER CT Copper

aloldstuff
11-05-2015, 12:48 PM
Decided to go back to the field I was at yesterday. Glad I did.

Started off real slow, and I mean slowwwwww.

First signal is what I think a piece of a shoe buckle frame and I say that only because of the hole where the pin would have gone.

Next was a nice button, shank intact.

I am really confused on the item that I placed a quarter next to for size reference. Any ideas????

Finally I get that VDI I have been waiting for - 80 - 78 - 83. Depth meter says 1 1/2 inch down. Yup another CT copper. Looking at this coin, I think that it was definatley struck off center. I can't see a date, not from wear but I honestly don't think that this coin ever had a date. Help me out here Dan.....

Another great weather day for detecting. Thanks for reading and HH everyone.

MangoAve
11-05-2015, 01:42 PM
Man, Al. What crazy magic are you doing there? :lol: It is definitely a 1787 and I am not sure the miller. I will leave that part for Dan. It is definitely a draped bust variety as I can tell by the back near the 'Connec:'. It definitely says Auctori, so it rules out the ones saying Auctobi or the other variety. I think the ETLIB lettering and the fact the colon is far from those letters might be the deciding factor. Nice score tho. When can I get a copper there? :lol:

del
11-05-2015, 03:33 PM
you better keep pounding that area as it keeps giving scarce and rare coppers Al , i think your closing in on the actual old home site too.

Al this one is even better then the last :clapping:its a 1787 Miller 28-o. an r-6 by coinfacts standards with (25 to 30 examples known) and a URS-6 rarity rating in the Whitman encyclopedia with (17- 32 known) . A truly rare coin !!:perfect10:

aloldstuff
11-05-2015, 04:24 PM
Dan, again thanks for the ID. I'm sitting here in shock at the rarity of this coin. Even though it doesn't look as nice as the one from yesterday, this one will definately be treasured.

Any idea what the item is next to the quarter??

Cheap Thrills
11-05-2015, 04:25 PM
Wow Al !!! :notworthy:

del
11-05-2015, 05:09 PM
Dan, again thanks for the ID. I'm sitting here in shock at the rarity of this coin. Even though it doesn't look as nice as the one from yesterday, this one will definately be treasured.

Any idea what the item is next to the quarter??

no problem Al , it fortunate to see enough of the key areas to id it . finding a decent picture of that variety to post is very difficult , the one that was on ebay was in pretty rough shape . you know its a pretty rare type when you can't find a picture on the internet ! :lol:the other item looks to be either a brass furniture decoration or for a leather adornment to a horse harness . its pretty old and could date around the same age as the copper .

Dan