PDA

View Full Version : CTX working it's magic!

Digger_O'Dell
10-21-2015, 06:57 PM
Hi all!
As you know I just recently procured a lightly used CTX 3030 and have been trying to learn it. One of the problems was that the previous owner had changed a lot of settings and used it mostly for fresh water lake hunting. So after many many hours of reading, watching tutorials and trying out what I learned in the field I decided to try it at the old elementary school site I hunted really hard with my X-Terra.

All I can say is WOW! Basically part of the front yard region where the building was is all that remains mostly unchanged, and it's fairly small. It's amazing the amount of change I pulled from there previously, so had hoped to find more wheaties and maybe even silver. No such luck on the silver, but I did find a 49 and 51 wheatie, both around 10 inches deep. I also found many coins that were between 6 and 12 inches deep, many of which were masked by nails or other trash there was no way my other machine would have found. Some zincilns were even so deteriorated they are barely identifiable as coins. Now I know why so many parks in my region are so sanitized!

Cheap Thrills
10-21-2015, 08:42 PM
It looks like you're doing quite well with it already . No fresh drops there !

Hiluxyota
10-21-2015, 08:47 PM
It's an awsome machine. It takes time to learn , but it will pull coins mixed in with iron, and still give a good signal with the iron. The more you use it , the more you will love it!!

Digger_O'Dell
10-21-2015, 08:50 PM
It's an awsome machine. It takes time to learn , but it will pull coins mixed in with iron, and still give a good signal with the iron. The more you use it , the more you will love it!!
First couple times out I was questioning my sanity in buying the CTX - now, they will have to pry it from my cold dead hands! :grin:

Yes, lots of iron masking, multiple targets, hidden under or around foil, can slaw, etc. Can't hide anything from this machine!

Lodge Scent
10-22-2015, 08:07 PM
It is a nice feeling to have a machine click like that! Congrats.

Fire Fighter 43
10-22-2015, 08:25 PM
Congrats on a nice hunt. It looks like you are getting off to a good start with the CTX.

Digger_O'Dell
10-22-2015, 08:49 PM
Congrats on a nice hunt. It looks like you are getting off to a good start with the CTX.

Yes, I think things are coming together nicely. It's really not so complex as I thought at first, so the intimidation factor is now gone. Can't wait for the Sabisch book to arrive so I can hopefully learn more in my down time. Hoping sometime we can get out detecting together maybe-I would love to learn from the pro!

chief5709
10-23-2015, 05:10 AM
Congrats! Its a great machine. Andy's book helped me out a lot!!

wisconsin digger
10-25-2015, 09:13 PM
It's always a great feeling knowing you have the ability to find coins 10'+ under the ground. reopens a lot of ground for you. Nice finds WD

Digger_O'Dell
10-25-2015, 11:18 PM
Thanks WD! My X-Terra would easily go well beyond the 12" mark-often into the 18" and beyond range under the right conditions. The bad part was trying to ID the target before digging that far only to find it's just a big washer or some other trash. With the CTX, it's much better with target ID though I need to learn 2 more sets of numbers in combination, and the target depth indication is spot on. Using the target trace I notice size, general shape (round or not), composition and more before I dig-so now the goodie to trash ratio is finally in my favor so far. So far it has saved me tons of digging the bean field I am currently working due to a large region of large gauge wire chunks that ring up like dimes or quarters initially, then after resampling it will jump to about a 33-43 reading.
My X-Terra would be saying "Dig!" to each and every one of those. :shocked01: