PDA

View Full Version : No plans for week turns into some memorable HUNTS

wisconsin digger
07-25-2015, 12:27 PM
With no plans for the week I decided to hit an old Church near home. Hoping to find a keeper or two I got off to a good start when I had another tight, DEEP 12-46 type signal. One large plug and some additional digging revealed a smooth Barber Quarter. It's amazing with how deep this coin was just how much wear it had. With the "D" mintmark and an "8" on the date area I believe it is an 1908 "D" but it is a wore one. Soon after that I hit another similar signal that turned out to be a Washington Quarter. The big surprise was yet to come. Already well ahead of my expectations I hit another tight 12-46 range signal. This time a big deep plug revealed nothing so I began to pull more dirt when a huge green color caught my eye. When I picked it up I was pretty sure I just found my first Large Cent. The coin was really oxidized but the back revealed the wreath and "one cent" lettering so I new I had a large cent. That was a wow moment as I never found one before. Went back yesterday to the Church to work the area a bit more and was finding nothing at all. I hit a 12-22 that I normally would skip but the signal and pinpoint were really solid. Not that deep I saw a round disc and picked it up to reveal and Indian, but this was a fatty and I have never found one of those before either. Another WOW moment. Some additional hunting uncovered a well wore "V" 1891, I believe, and a couple of Wheaties. Finished the week off today returning to the place that got me to 100 silver. First signal I dug was a well worn Merc that I first thought was a Barber. Additional hunting produced an SLQ "no date" a Washington another Merc and a Rosie along with a handful of Wheaties. That was a pretty memorable week without having any plans going in. Keep digging Wisconsin Digger Pictures are not great as the coins were really corroded. I plan on trying some electrolysis to see if I can improve on their current condition. I also found a small cub scout pin that was pretty cool. Plenty deep so I am guessing it goes back a ways.

Bucknut
07-25-2015, 01:30 PM
Wow! What a week!!! Quarter trifecta!!!

OxShoeDrew
07-25-2015, 01:38 PM
Wow! What a week!!! Quarter trifecta!!!I guess so! Anything on front of the LC? Congrats on multiple firsts!

Skamaniac
07-25-2015, 02:32 PM
Man, what a week! Some terrific stuff there. Congrats!

wisconsin digger
07-25-2015, 04:28 PM
The front of the Large cent was trash but I did some electrolysis today and saw the coin was holed and it is a coronet but the date is not readable.

groundhog53946
07-25-2015, 05:22 PM
Sounds like it was an awesome week!

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

Digger Don
07-25-2015, 11:15 PM
Wow, Super Congrats on the Large Cent and fatty.:clapping:
Not to mention everything else you dug. That's what I call an Excellent week of hunting.

Lodge Scent
07-26-2015, 08:46 AM
Nice pile of silver and congrats on the LC !

MangoAve
07-27-2015, 07:16 AM
Nice... I know a few say it's hard out that way to find any LCs. I am just surprised how many wheats and IH you posted before that looked so good but this LC and the IH aren't in the greatest shape. Congrats on the silver trifecta, tho.

MIKE54
07-27-2015, 04:32 PM
WOW is right !

wisconsin digger
07-28-2015, 03:52 PM
I wish the copper always looked good but some areas have great looking copper and others look like these. I did some electrolysis on the LC and saw it was holed. The back looks pretty good but the front and date are gone. I did some work on the fatty and it is better but still pretty rough. I found an Indian at a different location yesterday that is rough as well. Thanks God silver and Gold come out nice. Thx WD