PDA

View Full Version : Living the dream in New York

Ronandari
07-17-2015, 04:35 PM
I'm in a little town northwest of Albany NY this week working with one of our customers. I wrapped up my project around lunch today so I went out for a hunt. I have to say that detectorists in New York have it made! All week long I have driven through neighborhoods filled with awesome early 1900s and late 1800s homes, daydreaming about the fantastic stuff that must be hiding in their yards. Anyway, I found an old high school that is now used as a public works building built in 1938. Really neat old building with a park out front. I didn't expect much because I assumed that the park would have been landscaped but I managed to pull a 1940 nickel and a 1943 P war nickel. My first. :cheering:

After that I talked to the grounds keeper and he told me of another park across the river that was the grounds of an older school. I headed over there and it was a CladFest! I dug about $4.00 in clad in under an hour! In short order I had to start passing up pennies to look for silver which I found in the form of a ring which is 3 rings interconnected. I'm sure the wife will like it.
I am so envious of New Yorkers now. In less than three hours I found $4.50 in clad, a war nickel and a 1940 nickel, a silver ring and Inspector Gadget! I have to work pretty hard in Kentucky to bring home a haul like that. :envious:

Bucknut
07-17-2015, 06:39 PM
Nice haul!

Lodge Scent
07-17-2015, 08:02 PM
That inspector Gadget ring alone was worth the trip.

chief5709
07-18-2015, 09:34 AM
nice. there are thousands of neighborhoods and parks in this area. how long are you in the area?

Ronandari
07-18-2015, 09:52 AM
nice. there are thousands of neighborhoods and parks in this area. how long are you in the area?

I'm heading home today Chief but I have to say, I really enjoyed my hunt and seeing such beautiful old neighborhoods. I've never hunted parks with so many high VDI targets. I may have to relocate, for the summers anyway.:lol:

BTV Digger
07-18-2015, 06:49 PM
Congrats on the war nickel and the silver rings. Yes, the eastern US is the old country, but I'm sure with a little time you'll find some sweeter spots in KY as well. If you want to find tons of clad, hit old picnic areas, or areas where they hold farmers/flea markets. These spots often give up a ton of modern clad and a few pieces of modern silver bling. The older stuff certainly requires a bit more work.

John

wisconsin digger
07-19-2015, 08:07 AM
Nice to see a silver war nickel as I have only found 1 this year. Nice finds. I notice in Wisconsin a lot of old schools being used as City buildings or rentals. WD

del
07-19-2015, 05:49 PM
looks like a great old neighborhood and the parks like that could have just about anything hiding in them. congrats on the war nickle and the silver ring :cheering:

Digger_O'Dell
07-19-2015, 07:09 PM
Nice to see a silver war nickel as I have only found 1 this year. Nice finds. I notice in Wisconsin a lot of old schools being used as City buildings or rentals. WD

I have noticed that as well here in Wisconsin. The elementary school I attended is now town government offices. I see a lot of older schools in Milwaukee are also now government or government affiliated agencies usually for some type of social services. The rest, mostly either torn down or just abandoned.

Skamaniac
07-19-2015, 10:07 PM
Nice group of finds.

chief5709
07-21-2015, 04:26 AM
I'm heading home today Chief but I have to say, I really enjoyed my hunt and seeing such beautiful old neighborhoods. I've never hunted parks with so many high VDI targets. I may have to relocate, for the summers anyway.:lol:

If you're in the area again maybe I can get you out of the parks and into some fields.