PDA

View Full Version : Largie, another buff, some relics, and some silver.

MangoAve
07-13-2015, 11:58 AM
For those who like pics, there are a lot.

For this past Wed meeting for the detecting club I got lucky with finds of the month for my jewelry award and the canteen. The gf even won in the silver ring category for her first ring. So there's no confusion, that statement was about her first ring. Tue had been the last hunt I got in for the week, finding only a few odds and ends at a 1785 house Kev and I got lucky to hunt. I was getting ridic EMI in the small front yard. I did get a slide buckle with scalloped edges way in the back yard. I don't have pics from there but I did include the eyeball find of the bell from the park we started which lead to the 1785 house. That part is another story but I am including a bit into the MangoAve story already for those who like the story side of posts. I also forgot a redsox item from the hunt where I got the Jewelry Award token so I got the pic here. Yankees fans start Jealousy in a few. :lol: It was still in the backpack with all the junk I hadn't yet emptied out.
On Saturday I was actually pleased when I arrived. I was worried about parking where I knew a cellar hole (must be filled in) was located. When I got there, the town was doing some cutting of trees right by the road edge and the two trucks were parked with them taking a break. Gahh, that was the spot I was intending to park too. Right where the old driveway would have been but it is now overgrown with trees with just enough room to have two of the wheels off the asphalt. The corner lot was owned by someone else the last time I checked the property records. Now it has a nice parking lot for the town. Score!! The view was amazing seeing the mountains in the backdrop to a rolling landscape. The untouched green fields of summer. The growth was fine to walk through for the first 50 feet. I could have been in the opening scene to Little House on the Prairie. Then the weeds got taller and the growth was thicker the further I went. Eventually it was as up to my shoulders. After a short hike I made my way to the old property line. There was an older maple right on the fence line and an open area underneath where you could manage to swing. There were a few iron targets but it was a small area so I moved on toward where I had a GPS coordinate for the actual home. The homestead existed in the 1934 aerial from that I needed to extrapolate the spot from the non-conforming roads of the new pictures to the old roads. I made my way through some more thick weeds, stopping to take pics of the pink flowers that I not seen at the flower farms. A short walk brought me to a larger open area where there were some much bigger maple trees. Immediately I was overwhelmed by these golf balls all over the place. I picked them up as I went along. Even tho the hole was gone, the falsing on iron made it seem like I was close. The first solid target was some sort of lead disc. Maybe a 19th century seal. Then the call came wondering where I was because later on we had to be somewhere. Ugh, but that part is the drama which will be left out.

I didn't focus on that one spot too much. Eventually I moved around to the perimeter of the lot and then toward the back, finding another old dead tree and some huge vines. Nearby the vines I was getting a lot more targets and there were bricks piled with some rocks. Some casings came up, of which I took a pic just for Luke. I might have found the trash pit, which must have lasted as such for quite a long time. There were pieces of burlap pulled up along with a modern button and plastic and even a piece that looked like a bike chain guard. BUT, the same area I did get some ceramic ware pieces and an old pulley. Probably the pulley came from the old well. There wasn't much of a score at this spot. I managed to seek out the few modern clad. The site may have some potential once I go back with some time to remove the growth to get more swinging room. I am thinking even tho there was modern clad, that it was not a site known to detectorists even tho a house did exist there before 1868. There is an old apple tree I would also like to go back once they can be picked to eat. Natural and no pesticides. The bucket O'Balls turned out to be 28 total yet there are no golf courses nearby. The lead piece whatzit looks to have a rippled edge. There is a dimple on the top side too. A clad quarter weighs in at 5.6 Oz. The disc weighs 36.0 Oz even.

Sunday I needed to fill the car up. There happened to be some time before the other plans. I tried calling again the place I been trying all season...still not available. The other place no one was home. I noticed the SUV and camper were gone (I drive by there every day for work and can see which cars are around) so maybe they were on vacation like the first place. Good thing things worked the way they did.

I ended up at a permission I had been to before getting some silver and a CW relic. I talked with the owner a bit and he isn't staying there much longer. I guess I gotta get the hunts in while I still can. He was doing yard renovations and told me about them. I started by an old barn area. It had a concrete foundation with steps. Maybe it was just a retaining wall and not a barn... seeing as the back of the house was 1950's and the majority of the back has even a rock retaining wall that is much much older. Whatever the area was, there were definitely a few targets. Junk came up as with any site. I did pull this long piece which I just identified this morning by the patent number. I still have no idea what it actually is used for based upon the crude drawing or the write up. idk. It was date-able to 1936; The drawing and patent application original date. The patent was approved, tho in 1939. The piece is copper and still has a nice green patina. It is some sort of line splice made by the Reliable Electrical Company and for those who are out in Illinois, the patent applicant William Fotsch came from Chicago.

https://www.google.com/patents/US2144050?dq=patent:2144050&hl=en&sa=X&ei=u6ijVabBIcPUeuzNucAM&ved=0CCUQ6AEwAQ

US patent 2144050 Issue Date January 17, 1939.
After a large iron cap discouraged me from the spot, I moved on. Toward the back I was pulling up cans. Oh, when they are at the surface it is so hard to tell if it is not a coin. The lack of earth in between doesn't make the signal vdi deviate like normal cans do, and the shallow depth doesn't quite give you a basis for determining the pinpointing area isn't that of a coin. Shallow coins don't appear as narrow of targets as they do at 4 or 6 inches. I pressed on with the summer heat, finally it felt like summer. Targets were scarce. I tried the edge. I moved here, there.... not much. So I went to the area where I pulled the silver. I got a few nice tones. Matchbox cars again. And now as I am writing I know I don't have a pic of the toys. Even a nice small tractor with a good tone. By the tree roots I was seeing a mid tone, just shy of being a zincoln. Maybe it was a buckle. Just as I get the text wondering where I was... day number 2.... I pulled up a buff. Now after a little brushing and slight cleaning I see the back is in pretty good shape. It appeared to be caked with dirt when I pulled it up and expected it to be worse than the obverse.. but it actually has better detail. I can't see a date on it but maybe one more look later after I know I will have to reply on the thread with the toy car pic. And...it was a good thing I didn't listen right away to leaving. Beneath this massive beech tree, nearby to where I got the three ringer bullet I got a tone. It was lower than a solid copper penny, but there was another target near. I remembered a tip posted on here recently. I went with the repeatable of the two targets.. Out pops a largie with a nice green patina. Oh yeahhhh.... An 1818 matron cent. I couldn't stay much longer but I was ecstatic when leaving. Made up for all that effort.

It was then a rush down to a friend's house. I know I have to go back there with the detector. The house is 1915, but the foundation says otherwise. All the houses in the area have brick foundations which are definitely 1820-1880. There is a nearby small green to try and hit. None of these spots show on the 1875 map of the town, as this was a different map artist who didn't show the whole town and 'lacked' so using an aerial view. After the eating and fun we went to the planned beach hunt. Lol... the state should hire detectorists to come by at the end of the day to scare the people off the beach. Showing up in a big group, everyone noticed. I found one penny, and then hell broke loose. All the sudden the EMI killed the machine. I don't think it was the salt as I was far from the water, and it was after moving further from the rail line's overhear wires. WTH was going on..idk. So, I just put the machine away after a few attempts to reset and clean the coil connector to alleviate the issue. Idk if I was even close enough to any other detector to bother mine. And a DD instead of a CC should have better results in the beach sand. The first target, tho, the gf got with the GTI was one of the only 2 pieces of silver picked up at the beach. I can claim partial to as I dug it, and I set the machine into the right modes (jewelry, salt elim ect). She didn't even realize what it was by the machine. It was a fun hunt there, and the dinosaur toy find gave her two scratch tickets for the prizes. Both are winners.. (enough to cover the cost of the tickets tho even if not a big winner.) I may get a stone on my crafts site I know of and put a new stone into the ring for her. There was even a E-Cig we found in the parking lot. :lol: She thought it was a pen at first and then a stylus. Thanks for reading this long write-up.

RIdirtdigger
07-13-2015, 12:32 PM
Nice finds. Sounds like you had quiet an adventure and detected in a wide variety of places. Congrats on the large cent!

OxShoeDrew
07-13-2015, 01:36 PM
You gunna clean that coin?!:poke::lol: Hey, your girlfriend found that silver ring? That is soooo awesome! That is still on my bucket list. Don't you hate those gun shells? You play golf? I played for years until I discovered MDing. Nice job and congrats!

Isaac
07-13-2015, 02:53 PM
Great find on the large cent! Loved reading your post too!!!

Digger Don
07-13-2015, 06:11 PM
Wow, you found a lot of very cool finds. Congrats on the Large Cent. I love digging them, they don't show up too often.
:congrats:

Lodge Scent
07-13-2015, 06:36 PM
Everything from apples to golf balls and a copper thrown in for good measure. That is quite a hunt !

GA1dad
07-13-2015, 07:19 PM
Great post and great pics!!!

del
07-14-2015, 06:23 AM
thats a very green large cent , hope the patina protected the surface and it cleans up well Jim , you've been doing very well as of lately :clapping: congrats my friend

MangoAve
07-14-2015, 07:23 AM
Pics of the toys as promised. Lol. I had to look up what the full scale of the last pic was. Wonder if the cockney will instantly know what it is a replica of.

Everything from apples to golf balls and a copper thrown in for good measure. That is quite a hunt ! Aren't we in the business of finding things? Lol. Well, maybe it's not a booming business.

Wow, you found a lot of very cool finds. Congrats on the Large Cent. I love digging them, they don't show up too often.

Cool is the word we are using still? haha. Jk. Thanks. Idk what it is or because I just happen to be the one who puts the coil over a lot of relics (while others get lucky for the coins). I got an answer why coppers are more rare... idk if you remember a post within the past few weeks mentioning two different size one cent coins in circulation at the same time. People would take largies and sell them for scrap which would give them more in return. One large cent would give them something like three cents so it's a ROI. The coppers were obvi melted so therefore less actually exist.

Great find on the large cent! Loved reading your post too!!!

Thanks Isaac. Haven't heard much from you lately and I know ya been outta school.

You gunna clean that coin?! Hey, your girlfriend found that silver ring? That is soooo awesome! That is still on my bucket list. Don't you hate those gun shells? You play golf? I played for years until I discovered MDing. Nice job and congrats!

Hmm.. I was thinking about it Drew. Best copper I found so far. Yup, the gf found the silver rings. Good for her however they are a shared asset. lol. Yes, those gun shells are quite irritating. I know they are not a coin before I dig them... but I know the VDI has a capability of something like a buckle or what not....more like NOT. I should take up golf. Lol. My co-workers do and have tried to get me out there. Mike plays golf. Not quite my sport tho. I just used to get out on trails with the bike as my exercise.. then detecting came along. Thanks, Drew.

Nice finds. Sounds like you had quiet an adventure and detected in a wide variety of places. Congrats on the large cent!

Jim, I detect anywhere I can. I don't limit myself to one place but now I know why I stay away from beaches with my machine. Yesterday I was at a farm spot and was trying to find a way into the woods. There is so much more growth than the first trip there....so I tried hacking through the brush and breyers to get in...said heck with this, lets go to another spot. As I drove out I just happen to see the opening I was looking for. UGH.... I guess I get my one time to be non-observant and miss what I was looking for. We even tried a street tear-out for a short bit. You seem to only hit cellar holes from your posts.

Great post and great pics!!!

I am the cameraman for the gf when she wants pics. Maybe when I upgrade to the S6 pics can come out even better when I take them. I do have a video of the spot when I arrived and I might be able to find a way to take a snap of the landscape. Just haven't gotten to it yet. Thanks tho for reading the long post.

Bucknut
07-14-2015, 08:35 AM
That's a GREAT LC! Congrats on all of the finds.

MangoAve
07-15-2015, 02:09 PM
thats a very green large cent , hope the patina protected the surface and it cleans up well Jim , you've been doing very well as of lately :clapping: congrats my friend

Green is always good...when it comes to coppers. Lol. I may actually try and use oil on this one. The peroxide might be a bit harsh on it. Whatever it takes to get the dirt off.

The luck may be attributed to coil or learning where to put it or tips on how a VDI might change with nearby targets. Hoping this streak it lasts or gets better. Or getting the right places to try. Idk.

That's a GREAT LC! Congrats on all of the finds.

Thanks. Hoping for more continued success.

MIKE54
07-15-2015, 04:26 PM
Nice bunch of finds, Jim. Also enjoyed the pics.

MangoAve
07-16-2015, 07:11 AM
Nice bunch of finds, Jim. Also enjoyed the pics.

Thanks Mike. Not sure if you got out after Sunday. I did on Tue for a short hunt but you were golfing that day. I didn't get out until Satruday...and even Sat and Sun (when I got the Largie and buff) I 'paid' for it. lol. Once she found the silver ring she is now more into it. Hope she finally got into the hobby.

...oh, you just looking for more golf balls? :lol: I find them and you lose them.

MangoAve
07-23-2015, 09:30 AM
Found out how to extrapolate a pic from a video. May not be as I saw it cuz the cam has a limited window size and our eyes see almost everything In front of us. It still shows the rolling hills in the background and the full green of summer. ....Awaiting someone's thoughts of "he must be bored to bother uploading that". Lol.