PDA

View Full Version : Big Old Honkin' Chunk of Silver

Tony Two-Cent
07-12-2015, 10:09 AM
Daddy Digger met up with me yesterday for a day of detecting at a park and school grounds. We had a very enjoyable day. I hadn't been detecting in quite a while and it was great to get out.

At the first site I managed 8 Wheat Cents and a 1940 Washington Quarter.

At the second site I got 9 Wheat Cents and a 1934-S Buffalo Nickel.

I also got a bucket list item at the school grounds, a sterling silver spoon! In all of my years of detecting I had never found a silver eating utensil of any kind. This sterling spoon was really deep, about 10" to 11" and when I finally got down to it I thought it was an old sardine tin or something. I was very pleasantly surprised to see that it was a very large sterling silver serving spoon!

Here are the day's finds:

I want to thank DaddyDigger for making the trip up to detect with me. He is a great detectorist and I appreciate his friendship.

Thanks for looking and happy hunting! :beerbuddy:

Digger Don
07-12-2015, 11:10 AM
Great job Tony. That spoon is massive.
Congrats on the Washington & Buff, I bet it felt good to be :detecting:again.
We'll see ya next weekend. Don

OxShoeDrew
07-12-2015, 11:38 AM
I'm glad you and Dave got together and were able to snag a bucket lister. It seems odd that you hadn't dug a silver utensil. What does it weigh? Nice haul Tony!:clapping:

Full Metal Digger
07-12-2015, 12:35 PM
It was a lot of fun meeting up with you Tony. I always enjoys our hunts. Congrats on all the great finds you had. We didn't find a lot of old coins but the ones we did find were good ones! That spoon is probably equivalent to a silver dollar in weight.

Have you deciphered the hallmarks yet? Here's what I learned about it. The American company of Starr & Marcus was in business from 1862 to 1877. Most Starr & Marcus marked pieces were made by either Gorham or John R. Wendt. Yours has the Gorham trademark (Lion, Anchor, G). Also, the spoon may have value above melt. Looks like there is a collector's market for them. BTW, I read that Gorham had a big fire in March of 1877 and almost all of the Starr & Marcus inventory was lost. This may be why they went out of business so suddenly.

I'm looking forward to our next trip together. Take care and HH, Dave.

del
07-12-2015, 02:00 PM
Congrats on your first silver spoon Tony :yahoo::cheering::cheering: from the looks of the bowl I suspect some right handed kid snag his mothers good silverware to play in the dirt and lost it .;) it will look great in one of your relic displays my friend .

Have you deciphered the hallmarks yet? Here's what I learned about it. The American company of Starr & Marcus was in business from 1862 to 1877. Most Starr & Marcus marked pieces were made by either Gorham or John R. Wendt. Yours has the Gorham trademark (Lion, Anchor, G). Also, the spoon may have value above melt. Looks like there is a collector's market for them. BTW, I read that Gorham had a big fire in March of 1877 and almost all of the Starr & Marcus inventory was lost. This may be why they went out of business so suddenly.

I'm looking forward to our next trip together. Take care and HH, Dave.

Great detective work on the spoon's hallmarks , Dave :notworthy:

Bucknut
07-12-2015, 04:49 PM
Great hunt and nice bucket list silver!!

PL8MAN
07-12-2015, 10:38 PM
That spoon is one sweet piece of silver !

Lodge Scent
07-13-2015, 06:40 AM
That is a NICE find. I think Dan is right. My kid brother did the same with my mother's old sterling spoons.

del
07-13-2015, 06:47 AM
That is a NICE find. I think Dan is right. My kid brother did the same with my mother's old sterling spoons.

Jeff , I speak from experience ... I use to "borrow" my Mom's spoons to dig in the dirt and I lost so many in the mud she bought me a metal detector to find them because she was tired of buying more . :lol:

Ill Digger
07-13-2015, 07:05 AM
Nice group of keeper still Tony!
Do you have a scale?
I was wonderimg how much does the spoon weigh?
Thats a nice hunk of silver!
Congrats!:grin:

MangoAve
07-13-2015, 09:01 AM
Even tho it's a little cheap I like the look/color swirl of the green heart pendant. So it took less time for me to find a solid silver utensil than it took for the silver master to get one? :thinkingabout:It even has the maker's marks. Any intention to sell it for the melt value? Congrats on the big silver and finally getting a bucket list item. Hey, that buff actually has a date. Yes, I know the 10 cent item is a key fob, but not so sure what it is supposed to be (a representation of).

Jeff , I speak from experience ... I use to "borrow" my Mom's spoons to dig in the dirt and I lost so many in the mud

So this is where all the silverware came from? You?

Tony Two-Cent
07-13-2015, 09:23 AM
Even tho it's a little cheap I like the look/color swirl of the green heart pendant. So it took less time for me to find a solid silver utensil than it took for the silver master to get one? :thinkingabout:It even has the maker's marks. Any intention to sell it for the melt value? Congrats on the big silver and finally getting a bucket list item. Hey, that buff actually has a date. Yes, I know the 10 cent item is a key fob, but not so sure what it is supposed to be (a representation of).

I still have never found a silver thimble either! :bummer:

I'm pretty sure that the "ten cents" item is an old Cracker Jack prize. It is plastic, it was in the hole with a wheat cent. On the other side it says "shine". It's an old shoe shine box.

GA1dad
Nice haul Tony,, conrats on the bucket list item!!

Tony Two-Cent

Thank you so much for this, Dave! Great information!

jbolf6
07-13-2015, 11:32 AM
WTG Tony. Glad you got that silver spoon off your list! Nice bunch of wheats, along with silver. Good digging!

Isaac
07-13-2015, 02:49 PM
Great silver spoon find!!! It's an oldie too!!!

wisconsin digger
07-19-2015, 08:14 AM
Great finds. Back in the day I can remember finding several silver thimbles now I can't even find any. Nice finds an nice to see you get out again. Miss your videos. WD

Robbie
07-19-2015, 10:20 AM
Congrats with your finds Tony. That spoon looks to be about $50 in silver.

Skamaniac
07-19-2015, 10:05 PM
Man, that is a big chunk of silver. Way to stick with it until you found it.