PDA

View Full Version : It's a happy new year, 1820??

MangoAve
01-02-2015, 07:06 PM
With all this overtime at work or all this free time to detect due to the holidays, I decided... both. After having this past 4 day weekend where I got out scoring a silver I tried to set something up for later in the week. The beginning of the week I did the OT to give me a second 4 day weekend in a row.

Even tho he couldn't make it out today, the planning still got me to pursue two permissions earlier in the week (which were both a yes) and I still got out today regardless. He mentioned that most likely the ground would be frozen we should try to go to a place in the woods. I did notice the ground a bit stiff while asking at the second permission so I decided to hit the woods today. It was a good idea to go there. I had my new smart watch with me but I didn't end up using it. There is a short video and I do have a YouTube account but not sure If I am going to post it. While I was out detecting a guy thought I was hurt off a bike cuz I was behind a rock wall with the detector leaning up against it. After he saw the detector he just told me good luck. Another guy said something about the British walking up the road back in the 1700s and he used to find coins along the road. I knew this place had a lot of targets but the majority of them turned out to be big iron bypassing the discriminator. Somehow in one area I managed four axe heads, all different types. I plan to use electrolysis on two of them. I kept one piece of glass which made me think the place burned down at one point. My very first target looks like a screw driver end. One target was a solid 120 reading which is like a silver quarter to my machine. The date of the area being older than 1934 I was thinking SLQ. I was more than surprised when I pulled up a Matron head. When I dug it up, I thought 1821 but after cleaning it, it looks more like 1820. Maybe there is some cleaning left, but I'm a little worried on cleaning it further than the hot peroxide I used. The ring I am thinking was part of a harness. It is two piece but I think some material was still left in the sides. It also looks brass versus aluminum or iron. I can't imagine how there would be a tarp out in the woods with no other trace of the fabric. I took a pic of the immense tree there. Tomorrow I think I am gonna go back. Hoping for more of the good luck I been having lately.

del
01-02-2015, 07:28 PM
hey very nice Jim , you might have gotten the first large cent of the year !!:cheering:

aloldstuff
01-02-2015, 08:05 PM
WTG on the LC. Your screw driver end might be a valve stem cover from a model T. Hope you can get back tomorrow as this site looks promising.

del
01-02-2015, 08:31 PM
Your screw driver end might be a valve stem cover from a model T.

:thumbsup01:

MangoAve
01-02-2015, 08:49 PM
Hope I did Dan. If your not first, your last. Lol. Al, I do believe you are correct. There is a thread on the inside. I wasnt around with the model T tho. Man, I should open up a car parts store.

Swing-N-Dig NY
01-02-2015, 08:51 PM
Great finds!

Thiltzy
01-02-2015, 09:47 PM
Gratz on the Matron Jim, great way to start the year

Trooper Bri
01-02-2015, 09:49 PM
Congrats Jim! Awesome way to start 2015.

Isaac
01-02-2015, 11:32 PM
Sweet copper Jim, sorry I couldnt be with you today, but we can try for next time. HH :)

MIKE54
01-03-2015, 11:05 AM
You're getting better and better with that machine Jim. Just wait until next year!

MangoAve
01-03-2015, 08:12 PM
Mike, I know what you meant. It should be "You are getting better at putting the coil where it needs to be". That signal was solid. Altho I know the first ox shoe I dug near the river (where there's a supposed treasure near) it sounded like a nickel to my machine. Lately the big iron and even ox shoes been sounding bigger. [Al] I did get back there today but only had like 40 min until the snow started and I decided to pack up and go home when there was 1/2 inch snow on the ground. The machine display was getting covered with snow.

This time I tried the other side of the road. Todd, what was that valve you dug earlier this summer (I am hoping my memory is good enough to remember that was your find earlier). I did pull up a valve today and A FIFTH darn ax head. The big iron seriously sounds like a coin.. as a steady 105 in each direction. And just checking my numbers those are for a CT copper. A dime is just below at 101 and maybe with a halo effect I was thinking 105 might be a dime. The valve piece was literally right next to two other iron. I was getting a signal sometimes disappearing but it was repeatable. The swing was sometimes getting all three and sometimes just two of the targets. I pinpointed and put back into program 1 and found the repeatable one. I didn't bother with the other two 'cuz I am sure they were iron. Todd, was the valve similar to yours? The stem unscrews completely out.

Any one have an idea what the ring piece is? There was a blacksmith shop nearby.

Sweet copper Jim, sorry I couldnt be with you today, but we can try for next time. HH :)

Isaac, NBD. I mentioned in the write up it still got me to get out and secure some permissions for later and I still got out regardless. It might have been you that got the matron and not me. I spent the rest of the time and today struggling to find targets that weren't large iron bypassing the discriminator or the aluminum cans from the people on the trails.

Dan
01-03-2015, 10:40 PM
Great finds, that copper is sweet!! HH & GL, Dan

MangoAve
03-23-2015, 02:05 PM
I cleaned up the faucet handle a bit. I can find an extensive plumbing history time line online, however I can't find when threaded pipe ends were first used. If I knew what the valve piece is made of I could guess time frame better, but it is deteriorated. It was brass colored where valve thread was until it got cleaned. Then some of this piece is now silver with red/pink spots. 46269

Tony Two-Cent
03-23-2015, 02:23 PM
Looks like nickel-plated brass.

MangoAve
03-23-2015, 03:33 PM
Quite possibly, Tony. At least I know electro-plating started sometime mid-1800's. It reads like a silver dime or state copper. So good to know the plating doesn't affect the detection cuz nickel is like iron.

Fire Fighter 43
03-24-2015, 02:23 PM
Congrats on a nice old LC and some cool relics, WTG.

Digger Don
03-24-2015, 06:41 PM
Not sure how I missed this one.

Great Finds, especially the Large Cent
:congrats: