PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Hunt with Digger Al / Silver,Buff, Tokens & Dog Tag

Digger Don
10-18-2014, 11:42 PM
This morning Digger Al and I set out to one of our favorite towns for some door-knocking. The morning started out good, 15 minutes into the first yard, I dug a 1911 Barber Dime. We didn't find much after that so after about an hour we decided to move on. The second house was next door to a house we hunted with Tony Two-Cent last month. Alec dug a 1923 Buffalo about 8 feet from where Tony found a seated dime last month. He also dug a "Vote for LOUIS L. EMMERSON for Secretary Of State" token. Alec Googled it and found that he was elected for Secretary of State in 1916, and later became the governor of the state of Illinois. I found about half a dozen wheats. The last house we hunted I dug a 1923 Merc, A 1936 Bureau County dog dag, a bell shaped tag that reads "Bell's Pine Tar Honey - Cures Coughs". Alec dug an 1850 Merchant Token that on the Obverse it reads: "Watches - Clocks - Jewelry - & Fancy Goods" On the top of the reverse above the eagle it reads: "A.B. VAN COTT" and on the bottom of the reverse BELOW the eagle it reads: "Racine-Wisconsin". After some research Alec learned that this is a rarer version of this token. The more common version actually read "Racim-Wisconsin" Obviously Racim is an error. Together we dug a total of 17 wheats.

Cheap Thrills
10-18-2014, 11:48 PM
Awesome hunt ! Some great stuff !:clapping::thumbsup02::congrats:

OxShoeDrew
10-19-2014, 03:22 AM
Wow you guys were killin it :envious: Nice combination of finds! I was looking to see what that token looked like, found one here https://www.cointalk.com/threads/odd-variety-a-b-van-cott-token-ra-cim.227207/

aloldstuff
10-19-2014, 06:13 AM
Are you guys still hunting with only one Etrac cause the quantity of finds looks like you have 2 Etracs. If you only have one then I can't wait to see your posts when you get two. Love the tokens and early dog tag. First good dig is a Barber...fantastic. Tell DiggerAl that to find that Buff so close to where Tony was hunting is great cause I'm sure Tony doesn't leave much behind.

:congrats:on all the keepers. Question for you, do you have any special displays of your finds? Would love to see them.

Digger Don
10-19-2014, 07:12 AM
Are you guys still hunting with only one Etrac cause the quantity of finds looks like you have 2 Etracs. If you only have one then I can't wait to see your posts when you get two. Love the tokens and early dog tag. First good dig is a Barber...fantastic. Tell DiggerAl that to find that Buff so close to where Tony was hunting is great cause I'm sure Tony doesn't leave much behind.

:congrats:on all the keepers. Question for you, do you have any special displays of your finds? Would love to see them.
Yes, we now have 2 E-tracs, Alec got his in June and we just added the Sunray probe to it a couple of weeks ago.
As far as the Buff, the house we hit Saturday was next door to the house Tony hit. Tony's was just off the property line in that yard and Al's was just off the propety line next door. I agree, if it was the same yard, there's no way Tony would have missed it. Especially that Day.

Beartoe
10-19-2014, 08:27 AM
That barber is an excellent find. They are my favorite coins.

I am envious about the Buffalo . :envious: For some reason I have yet to put my coil over a Buffalo Nickle. Sooner or later I will come across one.

Nesdore
10-19-2014, 10:45 AM
Man Don yet another great Saturday the barber is in great condition and nice pile of wheats and congrats to Digger Al digging that buff and awesome old token you guys always seem to find some cool old tokens :congrats::perfect10:

Fire Fighter 43
10-20-2014, 06:29 PM
Congrats on a nice hunt, WTG.

Tony Two-Cent
10-20-2014, 08:37 PM
Very nice pile of old coins, Don, but I think my favorites are the dog tag and the old tokens, especially that 1850 Merchant Token! Wow, that's an oldie! Fantastic piece of history there.

You and Alec are having an incredible year! (I know I keep saying that, but it's true!)

:congrats:

freemindstuck
10-20-2014, 10:45 PM
Great tokens and dog tag! Oh and the barbers nice too. Congrats!!