PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Digs

z118
06-14-2010, 09:16 AM
Did the usual thing on Sunday, hit some tot lots and spent a good amount of time in the dirt. Nothing amazing but a few moderately interesting items. Total of 183 coins worth $14.10, which includes a Canadian Loonie. Interesting finds - 3 squashed pennies (not the souvenir type), a tag with a $1 reward for return, a token, a .925 silver wire knot ring, a plated 14k chain bracelet, and a cool key. The bracelet is pretty annoying - I've been digging trach hoping for gold like crazy lately. I'm way behind last year's gold total for some reason. I hope it's just bad luck and not my practices or my machines. Anyway the bracelet rang up like foil so when I flipped the plug and saw that gold colored chain I got all worked up but it was all for naught! Stinking plated junk!

You guys are all killing me with your seated coins and large cents and otherwise crazy amazing finds!!! I've got to get my butt out of schoolyards! lol

Happy Hunting!

Beefcake
06-14-2010, 10:43 AM
Man...That's alot of diggin! Congrats on the gold and silver!

Ill Digger
06-14-2010, 01:16 PM
Thats a pretty intricate lookin' key :yes:
Do you know what those slotted brass or copper pieces are you have on the right side of the picture? :confused:
I've found alot of those , and I don't know what they are :dontknow:
$14.10 is a great haul of clad!!
Congrats :grin:

z118
06-14-2010, 01:25 PM
Do you know what those slotted brass or copper pieces are you have on the right side of the picture? :confused:
I've found alot of those , and I don't know what they are :dontknow:

I am told they are reed plates for a squeeze box. Check out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_reed_aerophone

No what one was doing in a tot lot and another was doing in a soccer field, and how I managed to find two in the same day... I have no idea!

coinnut
06-14-2010, 09:18 PM
Don't worry Z, it's not your detecting skills that is keeping you from finding gold like last year, it's them darn bring us your gold jewelry for cash commercials on the TV. lol People are turning in their gold for cash and not buying any new stuff. They can buy the cheap junk and have it look like gold for just pennies to the dollar. I hate to say it, but that trend will probably continue for a while. :ticked: Really cool key, never seen anyhthing like that. That's the best find of the hunt!! Yep, never found a seated or LC in a school yard. Find an old area in your town and hit the woods for a bit. You never know what you may find. Hope it's not Poison Ivy lol

ProPointer
06-14-2010, 09:31 PM
Hello Z,

Phenomenal clad total. A hunt like that would get me ready for a another go at that tot lot. OUTSTANDING haul. :clapping:

Thanks for sharing,
ProPointer

Geodawn
06-14-2010, 09:35 PM
Marathon digs! nice job!

del
06-15-2010, 01:33 PM
thats alot of targets for sure Z , a great haul of goodies . congrats on the jewelry

I've found alot of those , and I don't know what they are

they look more like reeds to an old pump organ to me than a squeeze box .
heres a link to the reeds http://www.pumporganrestorations.com/meet_the_brass_reed.htm

Ill Digger
06-15-2010, 05:53 PM
I am told they are reed plates for a squeeze box.

they look more like reeds to an old pump organ to me than a squeeze box .

Thanks guys thumbsup01
So we're thinking some sort of reed for a musical instrument :thinkingabout:
OK...I ways way off. I was thinking maybe something for some sort of telegraph machine or something 8/ :dontknow:
Thanks guys :grin:

Cheap Thrills
06-16-2010, 02:19 PM
Nice going !! thumbsup01 8)