PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day Weekend

z118
06-01-2010, 11:57 AM
I was hoping for a big weekend detecting wise with the extra day off, but it just didn't pan out. I hit a few tot lots on Saturday morning but they were pretty well hunted bare. I switched over to the dirt hoping for some silver and wound up with a bit of clad as well as two wheats, a '59 penny, and a '48 nickel - but no silver.

I got out for an unexpected hunt on Saturday evening. A few targets in I dug what I was certain was going to be a foil bottle top, but instead turned out to be a nice ring, which I posted about here:

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=1680.0

Well, I just got back from the jeweler who checked it with one of those electronic gold testers... and it is gold! At least 10k per the jeweler, though I have a suspicion it might be higher. The jeweler did confirm that an unstamped band like this would be very unusual, so it is likely the stamp just wore off. Anyway a gold ring will make my day any day. It weighs a little over 3.6 grams.

Sunday I hit a few tot lots with my son in tow, no great finds but it sure was a beautiful day and fun to run around with the boy.

On Memorial Day I got up very early with a particular spot in mind where I was hopefull I could find some silver coins. But upon arrival the conditions proved to the the worst possible - the grass was soaked with dew and the ground was bone dry. Pulling plugs was possible but not at all pleasant, and I wasn't confident the plugs wouldn't look like hell a few days later. I did find one wheat penny but I scratched it badly chisling it out of the dirt. So I bagged my plans and spent the morning hitting a bunch of tot lots, none of which gave up much more than a $1 in clad.

Total for the weekend was 190 coins worth $16.22. Lots of the usual trinkets and garbage too of course, including 3 junk rings, one of which is the largest I've ever found. They're in the second pic along with the 10k band.

Happy hunting!

angellionel
06-01-2010, 12:38 PM
That is a very nice haul of goodies! Lots of quarters and nickels. :shocked01: Now I wish I had gone out detecting yesterday, but I had too many things to do. :( Nice job, Z! thumbsup01

Hook
06-01-2010, 12:46 PM
thats a good amount of clad there Zman.way to go ! i managed to locate a school near me thats got lots of clad in the yard area, but like you..the ground is baked and hard as heck to dig, its even tough cutting a plug. maybe with a little rain it'll get better. i sure wish the tot lots i hit around here would produce more than the occasional trinket off of a bracelet, ive yet to find any silver or gold rings in any tot lot i ever hunted. Oh well, maybe it'll be my turn one day :shocked01:
Congrats on that ring proving to be gold for you...nice find there!

coinnut
06-01-2010, 05:37 PM
I'm glad the ring turned out to be white gold thumbsup01 Sometimes the hunts aren't as productive as you would hope, but that's just one battle in a year long war lol Winning the war is what counts ;) At least you got to detect instead of doing something less fun. That junk ring is huge! lol

xzlr8n
06-01-2010, 09:24 PM
You're the King of Quantity :shocked04:. Nice haul and the statistics god rewarded you with some GOLD thumbsup01.