PDA

View Full Version : Coin 360 years old? I'll never find another!

Coinshooter
10-08-2013, 10:41 AM
Well yesterday I take the day out of work to detect with Safari Scott and my buddy Jesse. This was an amazing day of hunting.

First signal of the day rang in like a memorial took me a little bit to find this little guy in the plug but I flipped out when I saw the pine tree on the back.
It looked like an old pull tab at first.

Here's a couple of pics of my 1652 Massachusetts 6 pence Pine Tree. This was a dream coin for me I never thought I would get.

http://i39.tinypic.com/20uq0lg.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/2rxu1i1.jpg

I'm still mind boggled.

TundraDigger
10-08-2013, 10:52 AM
Now that's a real find. :twirlingeyes: A friend of mine found one also, unfortunately his turned out to be a fake but yours looks very real. Please take it to a reputable dealer because it could be worth a small fortune.

Coinshooter
10-08-2013, 10:57 AM
Now that's a real find. :twirlingeyes: A friend of mine found one also, unfortunately his turned out to be a fake but yours looks very real. Please take it to a reputable dealer because it could be worth a small fortune.

I dont want to let it out of my site so it doesnt get switched with a fake. Im looking for a good local dealer that would be willing to grade it infront of me.

MassDirtFisher
10-08-2013, 11:25 AM
UMMMMM......... :omg: Did i say......... :omg:

Congrats to you on one heck of a piece of history. Happy Hunting!!! :perfect10:
Banner for sure!!!

coinnut
10-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Super find |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:) It doesn't get any better than Mass silver and you didn't even nick it :clapping: Definitely don't clean it. You can get slabs that you can put them in and just look over other examples for the grade. It's XF at least at first glance. You should be able to get the Noe variety. For now I would put it in a 2x2 for safe keeping. Perfect looking patina on it.

Coinshooter
10-08-2013, 12:10 PM
Super find |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:) It doesn't get any better than Mass silver and you didn't even nick it :clapping: Definitely don't clean it. You can get slabs that you can put them in and just look over other examples for the grade. It's XF at least at first glance. You should be able to get the Noe variety. For now I would put it in a 2x2 for safe keeping. Perfect looking patina on it.

You would grade it that high?? I might have more then I originally thought. :shocked04: All I did was soaked it in hot water to get some of the dirt to break up, and it did. No rubbing it or anything like that as.

Tony Two-Cent
10-08-2013, 12:52 PM
|:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:)

This, to me, is the pretty much the ULTIMATE find, at least for detectorists in the United States. Massachusetts silver coins from 1652 are the stuff dreams are made of! Yours is a beautiful example of the sixpence! Wow, I can't stop looking at it!

Find of a lifetime without a doubt! |:cheering:

OxShoeDrew
10-08-2013, 12:56 PM
After you found it Scott was so excited he called me to describe it :twirlingeyes: He said he missed it by 20 feet :shocked01:

Unreal find, I wish you well in the displaying or selling :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Coinshooter
10-08-2013, 01:30 PM
Thanks Guys

Drew he was just picking on me because i have been having issues with my F75. Scott said turn the machine on this time, lol. He was 20 feet away from it. It will be my centerpiece of my collection!

del
10-08-2013, 02:17 PM
Alan , i'm pretty confident its a Noe-33 and xf could value the coin at around $8000 . its a great coin and not as nearly as common as the schilling . mega congrats to ya .

Dan

Thiltzy
10-08-2013, 03:16 PM
Umm... I'm speechless! That is unbelievable :shocked03: would love to see a size reference picture next to another coin.
What an amazing discovery. Very happy for you. :envious:

SafariScott
10-08-2013, 04:14 PM
Congrats again Alan. Incredible. So I guess I had a good choice of location for us to go to. Aren't you glad we didn't go to the cellar holes instead ha ha.

Coinshooter
10-08-2013, 04:16 PM
Congrats again Alan. Incredible. So I guess I had a good choice of location for us to go to. Aren't you glad we didn't go to the cellar holes instead ha ha.

Thanks Scott, it was a good mix of locations yesterday. I think im still in shock.

Lodge Scent
10-08-2013, 05:56 PM
:wow: :wow: :wow: One HECK of a find. Huge congrats!

pulltabsteve
10-08-2013, 06:36 PM
[size=1:crazy:t] :perfect10: :perfect10: WOW :perfect10: :perfect10:
Congrats on the once in a lifetime recovery!

coinnut
10-08-2013, 06:41 PM
You would grade it that high?? I might have more then I originally thought. :shocked04: All I did was soaked it in hot water to get some of the dirt to break up, and it did. No rubbing it or anything like that as.

Grading colonial coins and especially early Mass silver is different from the other coins. Look over some examples that PCGS or other grading companies have. I'm guessing XF, but that is just a rough guess. The reason they grade different is in the manufacturing of the coin. The process often leads to weak strikes which do not affect the grade. So something that looks F or VF can actually be XF. Do some picture hopping on line and see what graded ones look like. Unbelievable find, and you did well not to do anything else to it, especially not giving it a little rub lol

milco
10-08-2013, 09:02 PM
:congrats: Speechless....AMAZING find, congrats to you on the find of a lifetime!

Sal66
10-08-2013, 11:54 PM
:congrats: What a Coin find of a lifetime !!

That's probably one of the rarest Coins I've seen posted here. If it's worth as much as Dan says and I'm sure he's correct, I would definitely have it Graded . |:cheering:

Willems
10-09-2013, 03:10 AM
Congrats with your nice old coin.
Special find.

giant056
10-09-2013, 07:26 AM
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is a truly amazing find indeed thumbsup01 a huge congrats on that Pine Tree
:congrats:

Coinshooter
10-09-2013, 08:44 AM
Thank you everyone, grading it is my next step. <:

I have a ton of people saying sell it, I dont know it was a find i may never have again.

What would you do if yall found it? Sell or keep?

Tony Two-Cent
10-09-2013, 08:58 AM

There is no right or wrong answer, everyone is different. However, if it was me, I would definitely keep it, at least for a while. I would have to admire it for a year or so at least. Just ask yourself if you would rather have the coin or the money.

I'd rather have the coin. thumbsup01

z118
10-09-2013, 09:05 AM
That is one amazing find. Just utterly stunning. It really blows the mind!

That would be a tough call for me whether to keep it or sell it. That kind of money could get a lot of work done around the house and/or help cover a nice vacation or other experience for the family. They would likely appreciate that as much or more than I would appreciate keeping it. On the other hand, it would be the crown jewel in my collection of treasure that I'd like to leave my son someday. Then he could sell it if he wanted to, and maybe it would be worth even more at that point. That would be quite a dilemma to figure out... Oh, to have problems like yours! lol

Anyway, a huge congrats on the find of a lifetime!

Willems
10-09-2013, 09:59 AM
Thank you everyone, grading it is my next step. <:

I have a ton of people saying sell it, I dont know it was a find i may never have again.

Keeeeeeeeep.
You can always sell it!
It's not 10000 off dollars.

Fire Fighter 43
10-09-2013, 11:38 AM
:wow:. What an amazing find, WTG :perfect10:

MassDirtFisher
10-09-2013, 04:39 PM
Do what you want with it, you found it. I personally would have it graded first. Congrats again. Happy Hunting!!

Coinshooter
10-09-2013, 09:24 PM
Do what you want with it, you found it. I personally would have it graded first. Congrats again. Happy Hunting!!

I agree, grading is my next step. Till then I'm gonna keep swinging.

Ill Digger
10-09-2013, 10:28 PM
[attachimg=1] Ahhhh? :shocked01: What can I say?
Amazing find! Truely a find of a lifetime! :perfect10:
Huge Congrats! :grin:

aloldstuff
10-10-2013, 05:05 AM
Simply amazing... :perfect10: Truly a find of a lifetime. Your dilemma of to keep it or sell it is a dilemma that all of us one here would love to have. Lovely piece of history.

midas
10-10-2013, 08:56 AM
Fantastic find. But, a question - where was it found - in a new park, old park, cellar hole, old house yard, woods :huh:thinkingabout:? Thanks.

BKM
10-10-2013, 09:22 AM
After you found it Scott was so excited he called me to describe it :twirlingeyes: He said he missed it by 20 feet :shocked01:

Unreal find, I wish you well in the displaying or selling :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I Heard the same story from Scott. As happy as I'd be for a hunting buddy, it would kill me to think, If I'd just turned left 2 minutes earlier.... :shocked04:verreaction:

That is definitely a find of a lifetime :congrats:

Coinshooter
10-10-2013, 09:37 AM
Fantastic find. But, a question - where was it found - in a new park, old park, cellar hole, old house yard, woods :huh:thinkingabout:? Thanks.

It was found just in a field in Rhode Island. No telling how long this area was being used for.

Coinshooter
10-10-2013, 10:01 AM
Thank you, Everyone, I need go get out and dig, this work gig is really over rated. :thumbsdown:

bob_e99
10-10-2013, 06:11 PM
Not even thinking of the cash value but just the historical value makes my head spin. Totally awesome find and all the other things previously posted.

:congrats: :perfect10: :peace: :clapping:

Robbie
10-11-2013, 09:41 AM
WOW!!! JUST WOW!! I`D KEEP IT FOR AWHILE TOO.IN A SAFE.

zrickkid
10-12-2013, 03:02 PM
All I can say is wow. That is exactly why we detect. To find something that valuable and to unearth a piece of such historical significance is truly remarkable. :angelic:

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-14-2013, 08:43 PM
thats one amazing coin! i'd drill a hole in at at 12:00 and hang it from a necklace and wear that sucker!

:hysterical: HUGE CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :perfect10: |:cheering:

Ill Digger
10-14-2013, 10:03 PM
.....I need go get out and dig, this work gig is really over rated. :thumbsdown:
:yes: Amen brother! :hysterical:

Johan K
10-15-2013, 02:52 PM
Great find ! :detecting:

RobW
10-15-2013, 03:52 PM
:shocked04: :shocked04: :shocked04: :shocked04: :shocked04: I think that is one of the most incredible finds I've ever seen! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:)
Definitely a find of a lifetime thumbsup01

Coinshooter
10-16-2013, 08:51 AM
Thank you everyone, there will be NO drillin the coin. rofl

coinnut
10-16-2013, 06:24 PM
Thank you everyone, there will be NO drillin the coin. rofl

But we may drill Dave though :thinkingabout:

HessianHunter
11-11-2013, 08:38 PM
Great find!!! Also a dream of mine is to find one!